LMU-DCOM (DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the funniest thing ever - better than us. Remember, you can NEVER beat the original!!!

Congrats to all of the newbies in the Class of 2012. It is quite an accomplishment, so be very proud!

:smuggrin:

Yeah, you're an original alright Nascar... lol

Hey, I also got a call today!!!
I will be joining the 2012 class!:banana::banana:
That's me, just going Bananas!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am new to this site... I interviewed on 12/11 and just got the acceptance today!!! Really excited! Congrats to all who have been accepted.

Welcome to SDN.
And congrats on the news!! 2012!
Nice to meet you and Emily.

Carol says HI.

Members don't see this ad :)
I WANT IN ON SOME OF THAT BANANA ACTION!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: (ooh i hope these work!)

Je suis ACCEPTED aussi!!!! :D :D :D

congrats on all your acceptances!
I'm new to SDN (this is my first post.. aahh!.. hehe)
Anyhow, I got a late start and sent in my secondary earlier this week, and my letters should have all been sent at the beginning of this week, so I was wondering, do they let you know when you're complete?
Thanks! and congrats again :)

congrats on all your acceptances!
I'm new to SDN (this is my first post.. aahh!.. hehe)
Anyhow, I got a late start and sent in my secondary earlier this week, and my letters should have all been sent at the beginning of this week, so I was wondering, do they let you know when you're complete?
Thanks! and congrats again :)

eta. geesh, i was in the wrong thread

but no, they don't let you know.. just call them, they are nice.

I WANT IN ON SOME OF THAT BANANA ACTION!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: (ooh i hope these work!)

Je suis ACCEPTED aussi!!!! :D :D :D

YAAAAY! We might be classmates! I'm so excited about all of this. This has been the best day ever.

Hey Everyone, I interviewed on 12/7 and Paul emailed me today saying that my D.O. letter has not made it there yet and until it does my file can't be sent to Dr. Stowers for review. I am wondering does that mean that I may have gotten accepted or does Dr. Stowers review all the files accepted/or rejected? I am trying not to get my hopes up too much but the good news is, my D.O. is supposed to finish the letter this weekend and fax it up.

Just wondering if what Mr. Carney said about Dr. Stower's review is a hint that I might have gotten accepted.

Congrats to those that did!

Crisp, that sounds promising to me but of course, we can't be sure.
So, how did your interview go?
I interviewed 12/11 just a few days after you.
I recieved a call from Dr Stowers, yesterday, 4PM.
Seems like record time to me...WoW!

Good luck with the rest...And let us know.

DrTi

I interviewed 12/7 and still no word. Im very anxious to hear and hoping for good news as DCOM is numero uno. Congrats to all who have gotten the call!!!!

Squad, good news could be on the way even though you didn't get the call. A friend of mine interviewed on 11/16 and never recieved a call. She got her letter the same day I got my call, and I interviewed on 11/30. Goodluck to you all!

Thanks Dr.Ti and Congrats!!

It was nice meeting you and your wife at the Interview... I am still shocked that we found out so fast!!

Take care, and see you next year most likely!

Zach

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All. I received my phone call from Dean Stowers yesterday and my letter arrived today. I am accepted to the Class of 2012. I am so excited!! I interviewed on Tues. 12/4/07 if anybody out there also interviewed on my date. I was the one in the burgundy suit wishing everyone else good luck on their interviews. I was also at the pizza dinner the night before. :)

Who wants to be in my study group next year? :)

Love,
Stacy

Hello All. I received my phone call from Dean Stowers yesterday and my letter arrived today. I am accepted to the Class of 2012. I am so excited!! I interviewed on Tues. 12/4/07 if anybody out there also interviewed on my date. I was the one in the burgundy suit wishing everyone else good luck on their interviews. I was also at the pizza dinner the night before. :)

Who wants to be in my study group next year? :)

Love,
Stacy

Congrats!!!! I told you that the burgundy suit would be good luck!

CONGRATS!!! to all of you guys who got accepted this week!:clap::clap::banana::banana::hardy:

doesn't it just feel like christmas now?;) LOL

CONGRATS!!! to all of you guys who got accepted this week!:clap::clap::banana::banana::hardy:

doesn't it just feel like christmas now?;) LOL

It does feel like Christmas!!

The family and I just got back from an oseopathic awareness conference at DCOM a few minutes ago. Everyone was coming up an giving their congratulations.

Best of luck to all still waiting on decisions.
I hope it is bananas for everyone this Christmas!! :banana::banana:

Wasnt the OMAC cool? My family was super excited when we left. They talked about it the whole way home. My little brother told me its a pretty cool school and I have his permission to attend there. :) I was like... thanks, bro. :)

It was great to see everything again today and it really just reinforced the way I feel about DCOM. Its AMAZING!!! :banana: :laugh: I just cant believe I got in!

Eric and Laura, it was nice meeting you both. Eric, congrats on your call! Laura, good luck!!

NascarDoc, I was gonna come introduce myself today, but mom and dad had to leave to get back to a christmas party this evening and I didnt get a chance too. Thank you and the other students on the panel for some very helpful and humorous answers ;). And dont worry, we'll be better. We get to learn from your mistakes :D.....

Oh, and to the new acceptances, join up on facebook! If you have one. If not, make one and join up! :D

OK Ryan, I joined up.

And to think yesterday, I was just wishing I could join!!
Go Bananas
I'm liking bananas more and more. Lol

Wasnt the OMAC cool? My family was super excited when we left. They talked about it the whole way home. My little brother told me its a pretty cool school and I have his permission to attend there. :) I was like... thanks, bro. :)

It was great to see everything again today and it really just reinforced the way I feel about DCOM. Its AMAZING!!! :banana: :laugh: I just cant believe I got in!

Eric and Laura, it was nice meeting you both. Eric, congrats on your call! Laura, good luck!!

NascarDoc, I was gonna come introduce myself today, but mom and dad had to leave to get back to a christmas party this evening and I didnt get a chance too. Thank you and the other students on the panel for some very helpful and humorous answers ;). And dont worry, we'll be better. We get to learn from your mistakes :D.....

Hey rose, I was looking for you but it is kinda hard without you wearing the helmet from your avatar :smuggrin:. My family (including my parents and in-laws) were, and still are, just as excited and impressed with DCOM. My dad, who is pretty quiet and doesn't talk a whole bunch, especially about medical stuff, talks and brags about the school and the profs all the time. It's pretty funny.

Learning from mistakes you will do, here's a start....lesson #1 - don't take 2 weekends off in a row.....lesson #2 - study good during the 2 weeks before Thanksgiving break b/c you won't study as much as you think you will during break ;). I'm glad we could give you some first-hand info about the school. We are a relaxed bunch and have fun, but we work hard too, and I hope that was conveyed. Like I've said many, many times, DCOM is a special place, and I am glad to see that all of you feel the same way. All of us in the Class of 2011 felt the same way you guys do right now, and we didn't have the building, labs or anything else to walk thru and see during interviews. And as you guys can see, with the workout facilities, if something needs to be fixed, it gets fixed and fast as possible. Dr. Leo, Dr. Stowers, and Mr. DeBusk (along with everyone else) make sure things happen. Only thing left is the pool table, shuffleboard (both of which are ordered), and driving range (I still can't believe we are getting the driving range, I can't wait :D)

Laura, I looked for you too, but I have no idea what you look like and I couldn't find any name tags with your name on it - sorry. I tried, but we will meet up when you interview.

Dr. Ti, it was nice seeing you again and being able to meet your family. Congrats again!!!

Thanks Nascardoc, the family was really impressed with the facilities and personnel. I believe they are starting to see for themselves what the big attraction for me.

Laura, I missed you too...sorry

Learning from mistakes you will do, here's a start....
lesson #1 - don't take 2 weekends off in a row.....

lesson #2 - study good during the 2 weeks before Thanksgiving break b/c you won't study as much as you think you will during break ;)....

And as you guys can see, with the workout facilities, if something needs to be fixed, it gets fixed and fast as possible.

#1 True, though I probably take more "time off" than most in the class

#2 hella true....I had good intentions, but hardly did anything but house work during T-giving break. If I hadn't had house work to do, it might have been different.

Workout facilities? Is there some new news? (please???)

Hey rose, I was looking for you but it is kinda hard without you wearing the helmet from your avatar :smuggrin:. My family (including my parents and in-laws) were, and still are, just as excited and impressed with DCOM. My dad, who is pretty quiet and doesn't talk a whole bunch, especially about medical stuff, talks and brags about the school and the profs all the time. It's pretty funny.

Learning from mistakes you will do, here's a start....lesson #1 - don't take 2 weekends off in a row.....lesson #2 - study good during the 2 weeks before Thanksgiving break b/c you won't study as much as you think you will during break ;). I'm glad we could give you some first-hand info about the school. We are a relaxed bunch and have fun, but we work hard too, and I hope that was conveyed. Like I've said many, many times, DCOM is a special place, and I am glad to see that all of you feel the same way. All of us in the Class of 2011 felt the same way you guys do right now, and we didn't have the building, labs or anything else to walk thru and see during interviews. And as you guys can see, with the workout facilities, if something needs to be fixed, it gets fixed and fast as possible. Dr. Leo, Dr. Stowers, and Mr. DeBusk (along with everyone else) make sure things happen. Only thing left is the pool table, shuffleboard (both of which are ordered), and driving range (I still can't believe we are getting the driving range, I can't wait :D)

Laura, I looked for you too, but I have no idea what you look like and I couldn't find any name tags with your name on it - sorry. I tried, but we will meet up when you interview.

Dr. Ti, it was nice seeing you again and being able to meet your family. Congrats again!!!

I have to say, you guys had me at shuffleboard. The guy who gave our tour told us they were putting one in, and that was the final straw for me. That's when I knew DCOM was definitely for me. I used to have a shuffleboard, but when I moved from CO to Philly I had to leave it behind. That just about broke my heart. But now, no more worries, I will play yet again! Yay!

If I remember correctly, the workout issues should be fixed after winter break, right nd? Oh, and I was in the red and white striped shirt that probably looked kind of pink from where you all were sitting in the front. I was sitting on the right side of the classroom (mine not yours). I almost brought my helmet, but figured everyone would assume I just got off the short bus so I left it... ;) (<--thats just a joke for you humor challenged folks that are reading over Al Gore's piping system...)

Anyways, I get more excited about coming to DCOM everytime I visit the school. Between the students, professors, and everyone else, I just cant get over the positive atmosphere and more importantly the great attitudes that seems to run wild there. Plus seeing how quickly the administration acts when you all have issues (the pool table, and all that stuff, the workout facilities, the food service up in the common area, etc..) is amazing. Its just so nice to finally be around people that have the same common interests as you do and they arent just in school cause mom and dad wanted them to be.

Wow guys, wow, wow, wow...... I left yesterday knowing for sure that LMU wis the perfect fit for me. I mean honestly blown away by everything, the people, the facilities, the cleaning woman Faye, who raved to me about the school for 20 mins in the bathroom, EVERYTHING. I though Dr. Johnson was amazing, and completely summed up all of the reasons why I want to be a DO.....I mean honestly I'm speechless!

So who is the mysterious Laura, I was the skinny (some may say scrawny, I say petite :)) blond in the red sweater who stood in the back (I'm a stander....always a stander, my 'hopeful' future classmates, you will learn this of me quickly) So I sat right near the student panel. Nascar, I thought that was you when you were sitting back there near me, but wasn't sure until you were up at the student panel, and then I lost track of you at the end

.................so I'm wondering, if I just send in my $2000 deposit, maybe they will get confused and just assumed they have already accepted me:rolleyes: worth a shot:smuggrin:

Noo honestly I am so excited about this school and hope to get to know all of you better in the near future

ps- I'm lonely in Knoxville for 3 weeks so if anyone wants to meet up and play I'm available

Wow guys, wow, wow, wow...... I left yesterday knowing for sure that LMU wis the perfect fit for me. I mean honestly blown away by everything, the people, the facilities, the cleaning woman Faye, who raved to me about the school for 20 mins in the bathroom, EVERYTHING. I though Dr. Johnson was amazing, and completely summed up all of the reasons why I want to be a DO.....I mean honestly I'm speechless!

So who is the mysterious Laura, I was the skinny (some may say scrawny, I say petite :)) blond in the red sweater who stood in the back (I'm a stander....always a stander, my 'hopeful' future classmates, you will learn this of me quickly) So I sat right near the student panel. Nascar, I thought that was you when you were sitting back there near me, but wasn't sure until you were up at the student panel, and then I lost track of you at the end

.................so I'm wondering, if I just send in my $2000 deposit, maybe they will get confused and just assumed they have already accepted me:rolleyes: worth a shot:smuggrin:

Noo honestly I am so excited about this school and hope to get to know all of you better in the near future

ps- I'm lonely in Knoxville for 3 weeks so if anyone wants to meet up and play I'm available

I love Faye!!!!!

I got accepted and im soooo excited about DCOM! Can anyone answer some of my questions...how far is knoxville from harrogate? is it fairly easy to find an apart or a townhouse to rent near knoxville but not too far from the school (my husband to be is also moving with me and would like to live near the city for job opportunities, but not too far from campus)? Theres a lot too think about and not enuff time! And im getting married this summer..AAHHH:eek:

Knoxville is a good hour and a half away. Probably about 80 miles. You can commute, a few do, but you will be better off living in either Maynardville or Lafollette, both of which are roughly 30 mins from Harrogate. It sucks making that drive though. What does your soon to be husband do for work? Middlesboro is only a few minutes away (10 or so), and its not a huge city by any means, but its much bigger than Harrogate. I guess it just depends on what type of work he will be looking for.

Ahh, I remember now. Too bad we didn't get to talk a bit.

I got accepted and im soooo excited about DCOM! Can anyone answer some of my questions...how far is knoxville from harrogate? is it fairly easy to find an apart or a townhouse to rent near knoxville but not too far from the school (my husband to be is also moving with me and would like to live near the city for job opportunities, but not too far from campus)? Theres a lot too think about and not enuff time! And im getting married this summer..AAHHH:eek:

Depending on which way you go, Knoxville is about 45-60 down 33, or about 75 minutes going down 63 to I-75. I concur that your best bet is lafollette/jacksboro (63) or maynardsville (33). Ah, the wedding plans. You think that is stressful, just wait until school starts. Actually, my wife and I had a blast planning our wedding. I'm sure you've heard it before....the day goes by really quick, so take in all the little things you can.....and get a kick-a$$ photographer.

I live in Knoxville, or a part of it, and my drive is EXACTLY 50 miles door to door (I allow myself an hour, and it's worked out fine). You could get an apt. in Halls pretty easily I imagine, and it's a straight shot into Knoxville or up 33 to school. That's where we looked originally, and I'm a little glad we didn't have much luck finding a house over there because traffic can be a bear in the Halls/Fountain City area. We live out off of Murphy Road between Tazewell and Washington Pikes. It's quite convenient and the traffic isn't too bad at any time, especially times when I'm coming home from/going to school.

There are some nice places going up in Maynardville, which is about 35-40 minutes from school, depending where you're at in town. Tazewell is another place to look depending on the type of work you're looking for.

I will add this...just as an FYI. I know of one classmate that lives in Jacksboro and he and his wife have been commuting to Harrogate and Knoxville respectively...they are moving to Knoxville in a couple weeks to save on gas money. Another couple I know (classmate, and her bf works in Knoxville) live in Maynardville, and they also plan to move to Knoxville next summer. Take this information as you may.

I would DEFINITELY look into Middlesboro or areas up by school..but if that doesn't work out for you (like it didn't work out for us), Knoxville is not a horrible alternative. The upside is I hopefully will not need to move for
3rd/4th year and my commute will be MUCH shorter for rotations.

i got the best phone call of my life on friday. i am going to LMU and with any luck i will pass the boards. cant wait to meet the class of 2012!!!

i got the best phone call of my life on friday. i am going to LMU and with any luck i will pass the boards. cant wait to meet the class of 2012!!!
Awesome!!! Congratulations!!!! :banana::banana::banana: for you!!! :D

So how many does that bring the count up to now that have been accepted? Ill try and find the list I started a few pages back. Oh, and make sure to join up on the facebook group. We should try and get some sort of shindig going once it gets closer to summer before school starts. Or plan on having a huge cookout/presemester bash a day or two before orientation or the Saturday after it starts. I think Dr. Leo told me it started on a Wednesday. The 28th of June maybe... I'm sure we will get something going closer to then though. Woo HOO!!!! Med school here we come!!

When does class actually start?

For us it did start on a wed, Aug 1st, so I'd assume it'll start around that same time for you. Because this way Wed, thursday and Friday morning are all orientation and Friday afternoon your lectures will start.

rose351 - student apartments for first year at least
unknown3234 - Renting/possible buying house/apt
hoss22 -
gobluegirl - student apartments for the first/second year -
kimxwipe - student apartments for the first year -
dr. kicia - maybe buy a house, or will just make my life easy and rent out a studio appartment...we will see...
Fate408 - I think I'm going to try to rent an apt/house but I'm not for sure
EEL08 -
pamolive -
Alpie -
Tessy -
Zsquared -
Dr. Titanium -
Moestar -
StartingOver -
HopefulDoc1984 -

Ok, those are the ones I could find in the last 11 pages of posts. That sucks to go through by the way... For the first few that were around for the first list, I put where you guys said you were looking to live for at least the first year.

-For the new additions to the list, COPY and PASTE (highlight the list and hit control + C, then when writing a new post hit control +V) the list into a new post and add your name in bold along with where you are planning on living at the moment. Just so maybe we can hook some people up with a roommate for those looking for apartments. Cant hurt, right? :)

Im so pumped about DCOM and next year already, all the school spirit that the current students have has rubbed off on my horribly in my few visits to the school. I :love: it there already! :cool: I know, I know, I'll probably hate it during tests and stuff, but Im super excited about it. Plus, we gotta start now if we want to top what the first years class has done so far!

Also, join up on the facebook group in my signature if you havent already. As school approaches we can start putting anouncements up here and there.

Any questions?

When does class actually start?
I talked with Dr. Leo yesterday at the OMAC and he told me that it will most likely be starting Wednesday, July 28th. Well, orientation at least. Im sure the schedule will be very similar if not the same as this year and we'll start class Friday afternoon... Yippee....

I talked with Dr. Leo yesterday at the OMAC and he told me that it will most likely be starting Wednesday, June 28th. Well, orientation at least. Im sure the schedule will be very similar if not the same as this year and we'll start class Friday afternoon... Yippee....

June? I think you mean July maybe?

BTW, I may be on that list (am accepted just deciding), but if i am I'll be in the student housing.

rose351 - student apartments for first year at least
unknown3234 - Renting/possible buying house/apt
hoss22 - LaFollette for 2 years then back to Knoxville
gobluegirl - student apartments for the first/second year -
kimxwipe - student apartments for the first year -
dr. kicia - maybe buy a house, or will just make my life easy and rent out a studio appartment...we will see...
Fate408 - I think I'm going to try to rent an apt/house but I'm not for sure
EEL08 -
pamolive -
Alpie -
Tessy -
Zsquared -
Dr. Titanium -
Moestar -
StartingOver -
HopefulDoc1984 -

I haven't been on in a few days, so I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to all those that have been accepted. That was a ton of good news, so I don't remember all of the names, but I'm extremely happy for all of you.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

We should definitely have a huge pot-luck get together when we get closer to school starting!! I think I read last year that the class of 2011 had one...so we can't let them one-up us. (rivalry and all :) )

I'm not 100% sure I'm attending. I am still waiting to hear back from a school. But, if I do, I'm not sure where I'll live. I have 2 dogs that I want to bring along with me, so I'd prefer to rent a house with a big yard for them. I looked some stuff up online, and it seems like everything is pretty cheap. I found 1 house, it was 3 bedrooms, 1 bath on 1 acre, for 500 a month. That is insanely cheap. Does anyone know if the homes in the area are nice, or are they pretty run down?

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but what's the wildlife like there? In CO I had to be really careful with my dogs cause I had rattlesnakes in the yard multiple times. Is there anything like that I should be weary of?

man, u guys are so lucky w/ ur acceptances. I interview tomorrow morning and hope to see many of you tonight at the dinner thingy.

-FQureshi4.

I'm not 100% sure I'm attending. I am still waiting to hear back from a school. But, if I do, I'm not sure where I'll live. I have 2 dogs that I want to bring along with me, so I'd prefer to rent a house with a big yard for them. I looked some stuff up online, and it seems like everything is pretty cheap. I found 1 house, it was 3 bedrooms, 1 bath on 1 acre, for 500 a month. That is insanely cheap. Does anyone know if the homes in the area are nice, or are they pretty run down?

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but what's the wildlife like there? In CO I had to be really careful with my dogs cause I had rattlesnakes in the yard multiple times. Is there anything like that I should be weary of?

We have rattlesnakes, copperheads, and the occasional black bear... but not so many that you would have to worry. As far as a place being well kept or not, it really just depends. Its definitely cheap to rent here. My 2 BR place is ok, not super nice, but good enough and I split my rent of 350$ with my roomie, Marthea. Neither one of us really pay more than 300/mo for our rent and bills each. Not bad at all!

Most of the places I've seen have been pretty nice. Nothing like the Clampetts lived in. Of course, you arent going to have brand new houses and appliances and stuff like that, there just isnt a market for it. Yet. As for the wildlife, the occasional snake maybe, but I would think coyotes would be more common up in the mountains, but still not very often. You will probably see deer and turkey much, much more.

The thing you'll have to think about having a house and yard is yardwork. Do you really want to be cutting the grass and doing all that stuff? I hardly ever had time to do that during undergrad in the house I lived in, let alone in med school. I would love to have a house though to bring my pup with me, but I dunno yet. It would be nice, but I just dont know that I would be able to spend enough time with her. Plus I'm lucky enough to be able to leave her at home with my parents dog, they get along very well.

Most of the places I've seen have been pretty nice. Nothing like the Clampetts lived in. Of course, you arent going to have brand new houses and appliances and stuff like that, there just isnt a market for it. Yet. As for the wildlife, the occasional snake maybe, but I would think coyotes would be more common up in the mountains, but still not very often. You will probably see deer and turkey much, much more.

The thing you'll have to think about having a house and yard is yardwork. Do you really want to be cutting the grass and doing all that stuff? I hardly ever had time to do that during undergrad in the house I lived in, let alone in med school. I would love to have a house though to bring my pup with me, but I dunno yet. It would be nice, but I just dont know that I would be able to spend enough time with her. Plus I'm lucky enough to be able to leave her at home with my parents dog, they get along very well.

Well, I really enjoy having a hard. I like doing yardwork. It kind of relaxes me. My dogs are at home with my parents right now, and I miss them so much. So, I definitely need to have them with me next year. That's one of the major factors in deciding where I go to school, if I can find a place with a yard for them. So, if I do end up at DCOM and do get a house with a yard, you can leave your pup at my house to play while we're at school. Sound good?

We have rattlesnakes, copperheads, and the occasional black bear... but not so many that you would have to worry. As far as a place being well kept or not, it really just depends. Its definitely cheap to rent here. My 2 BR place is ok, not super nice, but good enough and I split my rent of 350$ with my roomie, Marthea. Neither one of us really pay more than 300/mo for our rent and bills each. Not bad at all!
How did you all find your house? And how much room do you have for Murphy to run around? Im still so torn about living in the student housing. Id like to for at least the first year just to meet people and have that fun like back in the dorms. Minus the 2 a.m. fire drills. But I would also enjoy it if my dog could come with me and have someone to play with or something. Arrgh, I just dont know...

Well, I really enjoy having a hard. I like doing yardwork. It kind of relaxes me. My dogs are at home with my parents right now, and I miss them so much. So, I definitely need to have them with me next year. That's one of the major factors in deciding where I go to school, if I can find a place with a yard for them. So, if I do end up at DCOM and do get a house with a yard, you can leave your pup at my house to play while we're at school. Sound good?
Sounds great! She'll love it! I enjoy yard work too, I just dont have the time for it usually. Time management skills need work I guess.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.