LMU-DCOM, KYCOM, or WCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftjab

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm picking among these schools. Right off the bat, I want to take LMU-DCOM off my list because they're 6,000 dollars more expensive per year than the other two schools. Since I believe the quality of education at these three schools are probably similar, so the extra $6,000 is probably unjustified.

Which leaves us with KYCOM vs WCU-COM.

Location-wise, I don't mind living at either of these places. Their broad pass rates are probably similar as well. What I'm really concerned about is the strength of their rotation sites. Can anyone comment on the rotation sites of KYCOM and WCUCOM?

KYCOM is obviously more established but I feel WCU-COM's rotation sites are slightly stronger. This is such a stressful process as I love both of these schools. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

@AlteredScale

Members don't see this ad.

I'd do DCOM or kycom. I've only heard bad things about wcucom

I haven't seen WCU-COM, but I'd vote KYCOM! Not only is there cheap tuition, but you get all your books and equipment free! The town is also really friendly and pretty walkable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen WCU-COM, but I'd vote KYCOM! Not only is there cheap tuition, but you get all your books and equipment free! The town is also really friendly and pretty walkable.

And the only town for like 600 million miles.
(Might be an exaggeration)

Reactions: 1 users
I'd go to KYCOM as well.

Haha very true. But it is less distraction. You go to LMU right? It's also an amazing school. I don't think the op could go wrong with either choice!

Reactions: 1 user
I would tell you LMU for the flexibility of rotations and the slight edge on rotations. However, if it down to KYCOM and WCU-COM, I would pick KYCOM-COM. They give you a lot for the 40k a year (books, equipment, I think some board prep tools).

Haha very true. But it is less distraction. You go to LMU right? It's also an amazing school. I don't think the op could go wrong with either choice!

LOL Both schools are pretty much equal in this category.

True. But isn't Knoxville closer to LMU than civilization near pikeville?

Yes, by 30 minutes. So I guess LMU has a slight edge in this category. I'll give that to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I would tell you LMU for the flexibility of rotations and the slight edge on rotations. However, if it down to KYCOM and WCU-COM, I would pick KYCOM-COM. They give you a lot for the 40k a year (books, equipment, I think some board prep tools).
I was very impressed with LMU during my interview. The facilities seemed very legit. I guess they probably do have slightly better rotations since they have sites in Memphis and Knoxville.

My question is... Are those slight upgrades in facilities and rotations worth the extra 6000 per year? I admit I'm being cheap but 4x6000 = 24,000. That's a new car, and possibly a luxury car if you count interest.

Would you pick KYCOM or WCU-COM if you disregard KYCOM's financial advantage? KYCOM do give a lot for 40k but WCU-COM's tuition is 39k

Eh, I would mark KY-COM off the list ASAP. It is funny, because of all of the schools I applied to, KY-COM is the only one I looked at and said "there is NO WAY I could ever go to this school." They are so focused on primary care and rural medicine that it made me feel pressured to not do their secondary. I love the IDEA of rural medicine, but it is almost as if they expect you to do only that. I would go to LMU is I were you.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, that is their mission, but I met tons of students at my interview day who have no plans to stay in a rural area or practice primary care. The school seems very supportive of whatever you want to do. They have clubs for just about every specialty, and their match lists show that they've matched people into things like orthopedics, and urology. I think a lot of D.O schools push primary care, but all will support you in whatever career path you choose. I interviewed at both LMU and KYCOM and I didn't feel that either school pushed their students at all. Any of the schools you were accepted at will give you the resources to succeed. Don't let the mission be a deterrent. You need to choose where you feel that you're the best fit, and if that's at a school that costs 6000 more a year, than go for it! I feel like I've done enough KYCOM defense for the day, so I'll leave the decision up to you now =)

Eh, I would mark KY-COM off the list ASAP. It is funny, because of all of the schools I applied to, KY-COM is the only one I looked at and said "there is NO WAY I could ever go to this school." They are so focused on primary care and rural medicine that it made me feel pressured to not do their secondary. I love the IDEA of rural medicine, but it is almost as if they expect you to do only that. I would go to LMU is I were you.

There was someone from KYCOM several years ago that matched into radiation oncology if it makes you feel better.

I was very impressed with LMU during my interview. The facilities seemed very legit. I guess they probably do have slightly better rotations since they have sites in Memphis and Knoxville.

My question is... Are those slight upgrades in facilities and rotations worth the extra 6000 per year? I admit I'm being cheap but 4x6000 = 24,000. That's a new car, and possibly a luxury car if you count interest.

Would you pick KYCOM or WCU-COM if you disregard KYCOM's financial advantage? KYCOM do give a lot for 40k but WCU-COM's tuition is 39k

I still would pick KYCOM over WCU-COM. I believe they are more in tune with their students than WCU. If there is any proof, it would be that KYCOM now does not have mandatory attendance (it was mandatory the year before).

The reason I would still pick LMU is also because of the elective rotations (and the urban rotations as well). Coming from a DO school audition rotations are extremely helpful for both ACGME and AOA residencies. There was one resident on here who was a graduate of LMU and she said it was helpful to have so many elective rotations (she did 5 away rotations to match OBGYN). Plus you can use them to cater to your specialty (or even have easier rotations for some R&R ;)).

It is still definitely understandable to worry about the financial aspect. In my case, I probably would pay extra for the advantage in rotations. In the end, go with your gut, it usually leads you in the right direction.

Nope, it doesn't. I'm not saying it's a bad place, I am just saying this was the only university that I DIDNT complete a secondary at because of how much emphasis they placed on primary and rural practice.

I still would pick KYCOM over WCU-COM. I believe they are more in tune with their students than WCU. If there is any proof, it would be that KYCOM now does not have mandatory attendance (it was mandatory the year before).

The reason I would still pick LMU is also because of the elective rotations (and the urban rotations as well). Coming from a DO school audition rotations are extremely helpful for both ACGME and AOA residencies. There was one resident on here who was a graduate of LMU and she said it was helpful to have so many elective rotations (she did 5 away rotations to match OBGYN). Plus you can use them to cater to your specialty (or even have easier rotations for some R&R ;)).

It is still definitely understandable to worry about the financial aspect. In my case, I probably would pay extra for the advantage in rotations. In the end, go with your gut, it usually leads you in the right direction.
KYCOM and WCUCOM both have elective rotations in year 4. I think that's what year 4 is designed for at all schools. Anyway, ugh, this decision is the hardest ever.

KYCOM and WCUCOM both have elective rotations in year 4. I think that's what year 4 is designed for at all schools. Anyway, ugh, this decision is the hardest ever.

A lot of people totally don't understand how massive this part of choosing a school is. LMU is leagues ahead of the other 2 in terms of elective time.

In 4th year KYCOM has 4 months of elective rotations, WCU has 8 months (half in medicine, half in surgery), LMU has 6 months of elective rotations.

Grand tally of ALL ELECTIVES 3rd and 4th year.
KYCOM: 4 months of electives
WCU: 8 months (with 50%surgery/50%medicine)
LMU: 9 months (no restriction anything you want)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would picked WCUCOM over KYCOM.

PROs of KYCOM
1) The REALLY emphasize the KYCOM advantage (Ipad, books, OMT table, white coat, scrubs, etc) which is awesome.
2) Family friendly environment. Everyone is there to help each other.
3) Classroom and building is legit looking. Never saw the anatomy or sims lab though.
4) Open door policy with the faculty
5) Small town-- less distractions
6) Tuition is $40,500? I think...... relatively inexpensive.......
7) 24/7 library with student ID card

CONs
1) The location. Small town vibe. I would go mental. Ever played Fallout 4? Think of all the houses in there......but with people living it in.
2) 4 hours of OMM lab; 2x the amount of time. Heck, I could use that time to study.
3) Low board score--but this may stem from the student's poor decision making.
4) Put to place students in rural medicine/areas. Again, a personal preference.

Pros of WCUCOM
1) Tuition is $39,800/year
2) Faculty and students are EEEEExtremely nice. The southern hospitality is real.
3) Last year match list was diverse-- someone even matched into radiology and anesthesiology.
4) I could def see myself being content at this location.
5) Bigger city with diversity
6) Students are placed in residencies all over the midwest/east coast-- even in Florida.

CONs
1) Low board scores/passing % However, its getting better with each following class.
2) Library closes early; no 24/7 hour library

Im just n=1........ It really comes down to.....can you really see yourself living there/what kind of doctor do I want to become/will this school help me get to my desire destination?

I don't know anything about LMU-DCOM, but yes tuition did play a part in my decision.

A lot of people totally don't understand how massive this part of choosing a school is. LMU is leagues ahead of the other 2 in terms of elective time.

In 4th year KYCOM has 4 months of elective rotations, WCU has 8 months (half in medicine, half in surgery), LMU has 6 months of elective rotations.

Grand tally of ALL ELECTIVES 3rd and 4th year.
KYCOM: 4 months of electives
WCU: 8 months (with 50%surgery/50%medicine)
LMU: 9 months (no restriction anything you want)

Thanks! Right now I'm leaning towards DCOM over KYCOM. I used to be in favor of KYCOM because of its cheap tuition but now I figure I should just go to the best school regardless of price. Even if DCOM's advantages aren't worth the 6k more in tuition per year, even if it's just a tad better than KYCOM, it's still worth it IMO. In the end, I just want to go to the best school I can get into. I shouldn't let the price tag change anything.