2022-2023 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2022-2023 LMU-DCOM Secondary Essay Prompts

1) REQUIRED: Please write and ATTACH the short essay addressing ONE of the following questions:

Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. How have you prepared for this commitment?
OR
If you are a re-applicant please tell us what you have done to strengthen your application.

2) (Optional): Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know that you haven’t explained on your AACOMAS application?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got one as well. OOS.

Are you guys doing the optional essay? I can't think of anything else to say that isn't on my AACOMAS app.

@PapaGuava
Prompts

1) REQUIRED: Please write and ATTACH the short essay addressing ONE of the following questions:

Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. How have you prepared for this commitment?

OR

If you are a re-applicant please tell us what you have done to strengthen your application.

2) Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know that you haven’t explained on your AACOMAS application?

Just got one as well. OOS.

Are you guys doing the optional essay? I can't think of anything else to say that isn't on my AACOMAS app.

@PapaGuava
Prompts

OR

2) Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know that you haven’t explained on your AACOMAS application?
I generally always do the "optional" essays.

Secondary received this morning. For anyone who also got the secondary, is there any specified length required for the short essay response?

Secondary received this morning. For anyone who also got the secondary, is there any specified length required for the short essay response?
no word count. im going to probably shoot in them 250- 500 word range. Thats about a page I think double/single space.

if we are reapplicants, should we choose that essay as the required essay?
also for optional i think maybe why this school?

Anyone know anything between both campuses? I know one Is more rural and the other bigger city. Other than that im curious about the class size for each one.

This is probably a dumb question but to first access the secondary app, do we click “new user” or “returning user”? The email didn’t give any log in info whereas other secondaries I got from other schools did so I wasn’t sure. Thanks in advance!

This is probably a dumb question but to first access the secondary app, do we click “new user” or “returning user”? The email didn’t give any log in info whereas other secondaries I got from other schools did so I wasn’t sure. Thanks in advance!
yup new user. you'll have to put your AACOMA's ID to sign up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
New user. It will ask for your first name, last name, and email. Then you will get emailed a link to make a password.

[mention]GokuZ [/mention] [mention]EArlyBirdGetsTheWorm [/mention] thank you both!

No problem. Just submitted. Hoping for the best.
I hate reading about the school and getting attached to going there.
Since people are going to ask about the length of my essays, I went with 435 words for the main essay and 306 for the additional one.

No problem. Just submitted. Hoping for the best.
I hate reading about the school and getting attached to going there.
Since people are going to ask about the length of my essays, I went with 435 words for the main essay and 306 for the additional one.
Submitted as well. 350 words, double spaced, attached the essay as a pdf

PDF as well for me.
I wonder when they ask which location you prefer. The Knoxville campus is in a city and the harrogate one is rural.

Hey everyone, I'm a current student at DCOM. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll try to answer them in a reasonable timeframe.

Reactions: 2 users
Which campus do you go to and how do you like it?
I'm at the Harrogate campus. The campus itself is nice, there are a lot of auxiliary resources to supplement the medical school (such as a library, book store, gym, cafeteria). This is due to the fact that the main campus is part of LMU.

The Knoxville campus is smaller (but exclusive to DCOM), and it looks like that they're going to share the space with PA and other allied health programs.

Overall, it really depends on what you're looking for, and what you're willing to sacrifice. Harrogate is definitely cheaper COL and more green (hikes and outdoor nature activities all around), but you'll miss the diversity of Knoxville, which is going to cost you more. Either way, it's just two years of pre-clinicals, and you'll be done with it before you know it.

Reactions: 4 users
Got my secondary yesterday and submitted it yesterday as well! Still waiting for my complete email.

Hey everyone, I'm a current student at DCOM. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll try to answer them in a reasonable timeframe.

How do you like the curriculum? And I’ve heard that the professors travel between the two locations, is that still the case? Also what’s your dress code? Sorry for so many lol

How do you like the curriculum? And I’ve heard that the professors travel between the two locations, is that still the case? Also what’s your dress code? Sorry for so many lol
  1. The curriculum is pretty standard. First year covers the basic sciences, second year you go by systems. Nothing more I can really say about it.
  2. The professors do travel between the two campuses to give lectures and hold office hours, though professors lean more towards one campus or another in terms of availability.
  3. The dress code is officially business casual, but that hasn't been enforced. Most students end up following it for the first few weeks before going back to casual dress code. No one really cares. There are unofficial "white coat days" when guest lecturers show up.

Reactions: 3 users
  1. The curriculum is pretty standard. First year covers the basic sciences, second year you go by systems. Nothing more I can really say about it.
  2. The professors do travel between the two campuses to give lectures and hold office hours, though professors lean more towards one campus or another in terms of availability.
  3. The dress code is officially business casual, but that hasn't been enforced. Most students end up following it for the first few weeks before going back to casual dress code. No one really cares. There are unofficial "white coat days" when guest lecturers show up.

Thank you for the feedback!

for the optional essay can we write about a hardship and what we did to overcome it?

If the optional essay is "optional" why are there two "required" submissions?

I ended up putting both eassys in different files and attaching both separately since it required two files to move forward. im confused
I was able to submit with just one file and was marked complete.

What web browser did you guys use? I’ve tried to submit the app for the past few hours and it won’t load up on any browser/computer I try (Chrome, Edge, and Firefox) :(

I used safari and it worked fine. Maybe try to submit on your phone?

Is anyone having trouble opening their secondary website? It worked last week but hasn't been working yesterday and today for some reason

Is anyone having trouble opening their secondary website? It worked last week but hasn't been working yesterday and today for some reason

I did too. What I did that worked for me is I went to my history for the last time the website did work and clicked into it and it managed to get me in

Secondary submitted, attached as a word doc. Waiting for complete email!

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary submitted on 07/05, IS, received the complete email on 07/13. There was a bit of a wait with MCAT score importation for me but DCOM admissions itself seems to be very friendly and efficient. Good luck to everyone! We got this!

anyone know when we can expect to see II?

I applied yesterday. Hopefully I hear back.