LMU vs NSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Throwaway01

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To my surprise, I've been accepted to both. Just wanted some opinions.
I can care less about location and cost.
I want to know how the stack up purely based on education, facilities, residencies, etc.

Thanks.
 
NSU wins in all of those categories.

I will give you everything minus the facilities. LMU's facilities are better than any med school I have ever seen. I still like LMU (but of course I am biased), NSU is definitely much more established and has better rotations from what I hear. It will probably give you better chances for residency too, but of course this is largely dependent on how you do in school, comlex/usmle, etc. and has little to do with the school you go to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will give you everything minus the facilities. LMU's facilities are better than any med school I have ever seen. I still like LMU (but of course I am biased), NSU is definitely much more established and has better rotations from what I hear. It will probably give you better chances for residency too, but of course this is largely dependent on how you do in school, comlex/usmle, etc. and has little to do with the school you go to.

I didn't apply to LMU and have not seen their facilities, but the facilities at NSU were equal to (or better than) the facilities at:

DMU
SLU
Wake Forest
Wright State
Boston University
Drexel
Creighton
Cincinnati
Mizzou

in my opinion anyway.
 
I didn't apply to LMU and have not seen their facilities, but the facilities at NSU were equal to (or better than) the facilities at:

DMU
SLU
Wake Forest
Wright State
Boston University
Drexel
Creighton
Cincinnati
Mizzou

in my opinion anyway.

I only went on three interviews and cancelled 5 others after being accepted to LMU. Although I have not seen NSU's in person, so I guess we will have to both defer on this point, but LMU's were better than:

University of Wisconsin (Madison)
DMU
and Univeristy of Califonia San Diego

This is largely due to Pete Debusk, as in the namesake of the school Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, as in the owner of DeRoyal Industries, as in one of the wealthiest medical suppliers in the world. He generously pours money into the school to give back to the community and consequently everything we have is state of the art.
 
To my surprise, I've been accepted to both. Just wanted some opinions.
I can care less about location and cost.
I want to know how the stack up purely based on education, facilities, residencies, etc.

Thanks.

Not sure if you saw the study rooms while you were here, but I am currently studying in one and decided to take a picture, because IMO it is an incredible view and the study rooms are amazing. This is just one of the small study rooms, but we have about 30-40 more of these, most of which have amazing 4th story views and all of them have 50-60" LCD TVs to hook your computers up to. This is just one miniscule aspect of the facilities, but I truly enjoy this aspect because I spend soo much time in these rooms and I appreciate how nice they are.
 

Attachments

  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 302
Not sure if you saw the study rooms while you were here, but I am currently studying in one and decided to take a picture, because IMO it is an incredible view and the study rooms are amazing. This is just one of the small study rooms, but we have about 30-40 more of these, most of which have amazing 4th story views and all of them have 50-60" LCD TVs to hook your computers up to. This is just one miniscule aspect of the facilities, but I truly enjoy this aspect because I spend soo much time in these rooms and I appreciate how nice they are.

Amazing views! NSU doesn't have study rooms that nice in the HPD area.

It wouldn't be a reason for me to attend one over the other, but certainly nice to have the facilities to support those that choose to spend all/most of their study time in a study room.
 
Amazing views! NSU doesn't have study rooms that nice in the HPD area.

It wouldn't be a reason for me to attend one over the other, but certainly nice to have the facilities to support those that choose to spend all/most of their study time in a study room.

Agreed and thanks.
 
Yea the study rooms at the schools I'm considering suck compared to that.
 
LMU facilities were impressive when I was there...

For what it's worth, the new schools that I had the opportunity to check out had some of the best facilities that I have seen.
 
NSU is the better school.

Perhaps, but the OP wasn't asking that. He asked which has better educational opportunities, residencies, and facilities. Many other factors make up the entirety of the school (albeit those are probably the most important) and I agreed with MedPR on the first two.
 
Perhaps, but the OP wasn't asking that. He asked which has better educational opportunities, residencies, and facilities. Many other factors make up the entirety of the school (albeit those are probably the most important) and I agreed with MedPR on the first two.

NSU's has better residencies as well as better opportunities. That's what OP asked, and those are my answers. Mainly these factors, but many others as well, make NSU the better school.
 
Not sure if you saw the study rooms while you were here, but I am currently studying in one and decided to take a picture, because IMO it is an incredible view and the study rooms are amazing. This is just one of the small study rooms, but we have about 30-40 more of these, most of which have amazing 4th story views and all of them have 50-60" LCD TVs to hook your computers up to. This is just one miniscule aspect of the facilities, but I truly enjoy this aspect because I spend soo much time in these rooms and I appreciate how nice they are.

You make me regret turning down my interview invite at LMU. I could study in here all day.
 
But guys, have you seen the LMU Harlem Shake video yet?
That should make the decision much easier!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LMU has been cranking out decent match lists if I recall correctly. For a new(ish) school it seems on the outside that they really have their stuff together. I almost regret applying but it wouldn't have topped my first choice where I will be attending.
 
LMU has been cranking out decent match lists if I recall correctly. For a new(ish) school it seems on the outside that they really have their stuff together. I almost regret applying but it wouldn't have topped my first choice where I will be attending.

Decent match lists meaning what? Good programs? Lower IM/FM/Peds match rate?
 
They matched a decent amount of optho and ortho for a new school I thought. I was accepted at both LMU-DCOM and NSU and feel that the you should go wherever you fit better. NSU may be seen as the better school but their residencies and rotations don't mean much if your miserable and do poorly on grades/boards etc... Go wherever you feel best. For me DCOM was awesome in that it felt like a close knit family. In comparison NSU was huge - I thought it was crazy watching the dental, optometry, do (etc...) students run around everywhere. Make a pros and cons list !
 
They matched a decent amount of optho and ortho for a new school I thought. I was accepted at both LMU-DCOM and NSU and feel that the you should go wherever you fit better. NSU may be seen as the better school but their residencies and rotations don't mean much if your miserable and do poorly on grades/boards etc... Go wherever you feel best. For me DCOM was awesome in that it felt like a close knit family. In comparison NSU was huge - I thought it was crazy watching the dental, optometry, do (etc...) students run around everywhere. Make a pros and cons list !

How can you be miserable in beautiful sunny Florida? 😀
 
(To the untrained eye I guess) it looked like the list of an established osteo school if I'm remembering the right list.
 
here are the numbers I got - i think its pretty awesome for a newer school
5 - anesth
4 - diag. rads
13 - em
29 - fm
7 - gen surg
35 - im
1 - neuro sug
1 - neuro
5 - ob/gyn
2 - optho
5 - ortho
3 - path
10 - peds
4 - pm/r
1 - psych
9 -tri
5 - trans
1- uro
 
here are the numbers I got - i think its pretty awesome for a newer school
5 - anesth
4 - diag. rads
13 - em
29 - fm
7 - gen surg
35 - im
1 - neuro sug
1 - neuro
5 - ob/gyn
2 - optho
5 - ortho
3 - path
10 - peds
4 - pm/r
1 - psych
9 -tri
5 - trans
1- uro

That's great, but the problem is we don't know if people matched to good programs. That's more important than simply matching to the more competitive specialties.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
That's great, but the problem is we don't know if people matched to good programs. In pre-allo, that's more important than simply matching to the more competitive specialties.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Fixed. :naughty:
 
That's great, but the problem is we don't know if people matched to good programs. That's more important than simply matching to the more competitive specialties.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

It's not enough to get into competitive specialties but now you know the difference between good and bad programs?

Maybe you've been drinking a little too much of that Pre allo koolaide
 
It's not enough to get into competitive specialties but now you know the difference between good and bad programs?

Maybe you've been drinking a little too much of that Pre allo koolaide

I don't know the difference. None of us do. That's why match lists are irrelevant.
 
I don't know the difference. None of us do. That's why match lists are irrelevant.

Just ball bustin because there seems to be a negative tone towards Pre allo here these days.

And match lists are always irrelevant. One year, a who class graduating at Harvard could like FM as opposed to other specialties so its not really indicative of anything except what a group of people were gunning for that year.
 
Until it starts to be "doctors make good salaries only if they were at decent residencies," I don't think where they did residency really matters. Most residents/docs say attend the residency you'll be happiest at in regards to program AND geographical location. So if someone matched ortho or uro, who are we to judge that person's program if it was best for THEM? ie first choice specialty and location?
 
OP, don't listen to anyone just saying NSU is the better school. Reason it out for yourself. The ONE main benefit to NSU is that it has been around longer and has a reputation. I chose LMU over NSU because I felt it was better for me in every way, except for that gym, that was impressive. If you want PM me and I'll tell you the exact reasons.

Where do you envision practicing one day? What kind of climate do you like? How do you want your clinical years structured? Difference in cost? One closer to a support system? Do you have a particular specialty in mind which might be easier at one school? (although most people say this is low on the list) Interested in research? Hobbies? Want to learn Spanish?

Both schools are beautiful but LMU without a doubt had the better facilities (except the gym!!).
 
To my surprise, I've been accepted to both. Just wanted some opinions.
I can care less about location and cost.
I want to know how the stack up purely based on education, facilities, residencies, etc.

Thanks.

Having been accepted to both also I can say with confidence that the facilities at LMU are much better than nova but Novas are still excellent tho. It's very very hard to beat LMU when it comes to facilities. Their anatomy lab is INSANE.

Rotations at nova are at major hospitals in south Florida and some are shared with the University of Miami med atudents also. The hospitals at nova I would imagine are much larger facilities. That can be good or bad depending on how u look at it. Because nova shares with other med students and they also have interns and fellows in their hospital, you're competing with more people to view procedures. At smaller hospitals like the ones affiliated with lmu, you're not competing with people cuz you're one of the few med students there.

For residencies I would think you have more options at nova but I can't tell you for sure

At nova you start shadowing physicians your first year (within the first two months) which was never mentioned at LMU

everyone is making it seem very simple saying Nova wins but I agree that it's not an easy decision by any means. I know quite a few people who got accepted to both and no ones decision was easy. In the end everyone I know based their decision not off which school has the best residency opportunities (I don't think we're fully equipped with enough information to judge that at this stage anyways) but which school made them feel more at home and which they were most happy at. I know someone who chose lmu because it felt more like home and they thought the people were more welcoming at lmu. I know people who chose nova because of the area and because it felt more like home. In the end I think med school is what you make it and if u want it bad enough you're going to succeed at either school so pick whichever school made u feel more at home and whichever gave you the best feeling while your were there. The happier you are at a school the better you're going to do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Having been accepted to both also I can say with confidence that the facilities at LMU are much better than nova but Novas are still excellent tho. It's very very hard to beat LMU when it comes to facilities. Their anatomy lab is INSANE.

Rotations at nova are at major hospitals in south Florida and some are shared with the University of Miami med atudents also. The hospitals at nova I would imagine are much larger facilities. That can be good or bad depending on how u look at it. Because nova shares with other med students and they also have interns and fellows in their hospital, you're competing with more people to view procedures. At smaller hospitals like the ones affiliated with lmu, you're not competing with people cuz you're one of the few med students there.

For residencies I would think you have more options at nova but I can't tell you for sure

At nova you start shadowing physicians your first year (within the first two months) which was never mentioned at LMU

everyone is making it seem very simple saying Nova wins but I agree that it's not an easy decision by any means. I know quite a few people who got accepted to both and no ones decision was easy. In the end everyone I know based their decision not off which school has the best residency opportunities (I don't think we're fully equipped with enough information to judge that at this stage anyways) but which school made them feel more at home and which they were most happy at. I know someone who chose lmu because it felt more like home and they thought the people were more welcoming at lmu. I know people who chose nova because of the area and because it felt more like home. In the end I think med school is what you make it and if u want it bad enough you're going to succeed at either school so pick whichever school made u feel more at home and whichever gave you the best feeling while your were there. The happier you are at a school the better you're going to do.

👍

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201
 
OP, don't listen to anyone just saying NSU is the better school. Reason it out for yourself. The ONE main benefit to NSU is that it has been around longer and has a reputation. I chose LMU over NSU because I felt it was better for me in every way, except for that gym, that was impressive. If you want PM me and I'll tell you the exact reasons.

Where do you envision practicing one day? What kind of climate do you like? How do you want your clinical years structured? Difference in cost? One closer to a support system? Do you have a particular specialty in mind which might be easier at one school? (although most people say this is low on the list) Interested in research? Hobbies? Want to learn Spanish?

Both schools are beautiful but LMU without a doubt had the better facilities (except the gym!!).

Totally agree about the lack of gym. I almost chose to go to a different school for this exact reason (I am a total gym rat.....in fact I just got back from a killer workout at the gym at 0145 in the morning).

Azide10 if you are like me and need a good gym then send me a PM and I will tell you about the local gym memberships available. I love the gym I go to and it is 24/7.

On a side note I almost chose DMU over LMU because DMU's gym is incredible....but then common sense kicked in and realized it would be stupid to choose a school over something so trivial.
 
Totally agree about the lack of gym. I almost chose to go to a different school for this exact reason (I am a total gym rat.....in fact I just got back from a killer workout at the gym at 0145 in the morning).

Azide10 if you are like me and need a good gym then send me a PM and I will tell you about the local gym memberships available. I love the gym I go to and it is 24/7.

On a side note I almost chose DMU over LMU because DMU's gym is incredible....but then common sense kicked in and realized it would be stupid to choose a school over something so trivial.

You chose LMU over DMU and NSU? Am I missing something?
 
You chose LMU over DMU and NSU? Am I missing something?

You're missing the feeling(s) you experience when interviewing and visiting schools. I was ready to choose an unranked MD school rather than Boston University and Wake Forest, both of which are top 50-ish MD schools.

It's not something you can understand before you really have to decide where you want to go.
 
Apply to LMU and see for yourself. It easily exceeded my expectations.

Don't get me wrong, I've toured it and it was quite lovely. I would happily attend. At the end of the day though, dismissing two of the most established DO schools to attend is quite a statement. LMU is certainly the middle road in my list.

To each their own though. Re-reading my post I didn't mean to come off rude so I apologize if it's taken that way.
 
Just ball bustin because there seems to be a negative tone towards Pre allo here these days.

And match lists are always irrelevant. One year, a who class graduating at Harvard could like FM as opposed to other specialties so its not really indicative of anything except what a group of people were gunning for that year.

👍

I do think match lists are good for seeing if a school routinely matches people to a region/state/city you are interested in matching to. For example, if you want to live in the northeast or the west cost (the two most competitive regions) you'd probably want to make sure the school you are considering going to has a history of sending kids there. If the school does, then it probably has a good reputation in those areas. If it doesn't it's not an impossibility for you to match, but it might be more difficult since you'd be among the first from your school.
 
Don't get me wrong, I've toured it and it was quite lovely. I would happily attend. At the end of the day though, dismissing two of the most established DO schools to attend is quite a statement. LMU is certainly the middle road in my list.

To each their own though. Re-reading my post I didn't mean to come off rude so I apologize if it's taken that way.

I dismissed THE most established DO school for a brand new school.
 
Interesting. I've had some friends that were the 2nd class at a new DO school, and their stories have made me decide to avoid at all cost. Diff'rent strokes.

For sure. Only time will tell, but the program I chose really impressed me (obviously) and it was the most organized/efficient school that I have dealt with this entire cycle...by far.
 
You chose LMU over DMU and NSU? Am I missing something?

I chose LMU over DMU, AZCOM, LECOM, and several others, however I never applied to NSU. I was actually undecided between LMU and University of Wisconsin (ranked 26th), but then I got waitlisted after my interview at University of Wisconsin which made the decision that much easier.

I really liked LMU, and I am doing military match so making connections during core rotations at more established schools is irrelevant to me. I will be doing many of my electives across the country at Naval Hospitals. Most program directors at these facilities don't know one DO school from another.

Nevertheless, LMU impressed me a lot to the point where I wanted to spend my medical education at this school. Before applying and interviewing here I had never even heard of the school, but the more I learned the more I fell in love.
 
here are the numbers I got - i think its pretty awesome for a newer school
5 - anesth
4 - diag. rads
13 - em
29 - fm
7 - gen surg
35 - im
1 - neuro sug
1 - neuro
5 - ob/gyn
2 - optho
5 - ortho
3 - path
10 - peds
4 - pm/r
1 - psych
9 -tri
5 - trans
1- uro

Correct me if I'm wrong but this means thirty percent of the inaugural class didn't match and/or graduate in four years.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong but this means thirty percent of the inaugural class didn't match and/or graduate in four years.

You are indeed wrong. I just added up the numbers and it adds up to 140. The class size was 150 originally. Factoring in attrition, etc. 10 students are unaccounted for.

The class size did not go up until this year. Also, this was the second class, not the inaugural class.

Here is the link if anybody is currious which programs specifically:

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/match-list-2012-brochure.pdf
 
Last edited:
For sure. Only time will tell, but the program I chose really impressed me (obviously) and it was the most organized/efficient school that I have dealt with this entire cycle...by far.

Goes to show that the admissions department plays a huge role in representing a school.
 
Apologies for the stupid question but...How is living at LMU for minority students? I looked at the statistics and it looks like not a very diverse school in the middle of tennessee. Everything about the school looks great but I'm just worried about moving from a very multicultural city to tennessee, maybe not so much the school but the surrounding area.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone but it's just something I've been wondering about the school.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apologies for the stupid question but...How is living at DMU for minority students? I looked at the statistics and it looks like not a very diverse school in the middle of tennessee. Everything about the school looks great but I'm just worried about moving from a very multicultural city to tennessee, maybe not so much the school but the surrounding area.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone but it's just something I've been wondering about the school.

DMU = Iowa

LMU = Tennessee
 
Side note, that part of Tennessee is f'ing A gorgeous. Norris Lake > any florida beach in my eyes. Better climate too. Wouldnotliveinflorida/10

Would have applied to LMU before NSU, but in the end neither made my list. Different people look for different things. OP needs to decide where they felt better. The feeling you get from a school is something listening to people talk about OPTIs and shiz can't overcome.
 
I figured as much. But then again you're Canadian so I wasn't sure 😉

JK, I wouldn't be surprised if Canadians have a better sense of geography than Americans.

Haha I spent 8 years in St.Louis. I know enough to know Iowa=corn and Tennessee = Country Music 😛