LMU vs NSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apologies for the stupid question but...How is living at LMU for minority students? I looked at the statistics and it looks like not a very diverse school in the middle of tennessee. Everything about the school looks great but I'm just worried about moving from a very multicultural city to tennessee, maybe not so much the school but the surrounding area.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone but it's just something I've been wondering about the school.

Not a stupid question. The school itself has a good amount of diversity, maybe not as much as I am used to coming from San Diego, but none of the students feel isolated at all and I think everybody is happy with the amount of diversity we have. I can't think of any major ethnicity that isn't represented appropriately in the student body.

The surrounding area.......not so much. It is diverse if you have a very very loose definition of the word (as in there are people with blond hair and people with brown hair, blue eyes and brown eyes and I think you get the point). But 99% of the local population is white. Most of the students do not have a problem with this because we stick together as a class most of the time anyways. But I don't want to lie to you and tell you the area is diverse. It lies in a very remote region of TN and "diversity" really hasn't hit the region. Although the school is starting to bring diversity to the area through the med school, nursing school, PA school, Vet school, etc.

Most of the students get along just fine, but I am not sure what exactly you are looking for in a location. But as as1212559 said, the area is absolutely beautiful.
 
Not a stupid question. The school itself has a good amount of diversity, maybe not as much as I am used to coming from San Diego, but none of the students feel isolated at all and I think everybody is happy with the amount of diversity we have. I can't think of any major ethnicity that isn't represented appropriately in the student body.

The surrounding area.......not so much. It is diverse if you have a very very loose definition of the word (as in there are people with blond hair and people with brown hair, blue eyes and brown eyes and I think you get the point). But 99% of the local population is white. Most of the students do not have a problem with this because we stick together as a class most of the time anyways. But I don't want to lie to you and tell you the area is diverse. It lies in a very remote region of TN and "diversity" really hasn't hit the region. Although the school is starting to bring diversity to the area through the med school, nursing school, PA school, Vet school, etc.

Most of the students get along just fine, but I am not sure what exactly you are looking for in a location. But as as1212559 said, the area is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks! I was mainly concerned with how everyone in the class got along since the majority of the class is instate, so it's good to hear that. Hope this super liberal brown guy wouldnt be too out of place 😛

as1212559 piqued my interest so I looked up some pictures of the area and it is absolutely gorgeous! What do you guys do for fun? Do you go to Nashville a lot?
 
Thanks! I was mainly concerned with how everyone in the class got along since the majority of the class is instate, so it's good to hear that. Hope this super liberal brown guy wouldnt be too out of place 😛

as1212559 piqued my interest so I looked up some pictures of the area and it is absolutely gorgeous! What do you guys do for fun? Do you go to Nashville a lot?

Actually, our class is from all of the country. Me and 2 of my friends are from San Diego, many more from other areas of CA, international students, and the list goes on. Our class is very well represented and everybody gets along great.

For fun I know some people occasionally go to Nashville, but that is a bit far. On the weekends many more students head to knoxville which is only an hour away (plenty to do there). I am just waiting for the summer. Can't wait to hit up the lake and jet ski, hang out, etc. There is a lady who works in our administration office whose sole job is to schedule trips for us. Every couple of weeks there is a fun trip planned. I went white water rafting a few months ago. They went skiing/snowboarding this weekend. And the list goes on. There will be more things to do then you have time to do them while at medical school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I honestly feel like I am beyond lucky to make it into med school. Especially such amazing institutions. I'm just happy my choice isn't between pikeville and rocky vista (JOKING DONT FLAME ME).

So keeping my insecurity in mind. I am a hard worker, but i'm your average b student. I'm honestly scared of getting kicked out of med school. I put a lot of time and effort but i'm not your standard cocky genius. I like to work with close with teachers (and kiss ass). LMU sounds like I have a higher chance of success. I'm very interested in specializing, if I did decent on the exams, does it matter which school I attend?
 
I honestly feel like I am beyond lucky to make it into med school. Especially such amazing institutions. I'm just happy my choice isn't between pikeville and rocky vista (JOKING DONT FLAME ME).

So keeping my insecurity in mind. I am a hard worker, but i'm your average b student. I'm honestly scared of getting kicked out of med school. I put a lot of time and effort but i'm not your standard cocky genius. I like to work with close with teachers (and kiss ass). LMU sounds like I have a higher chance of success. I'm very interested in specializing, if I did decent on the exams, does it matter which school I attend?


Am I the only one that doesn't feel "lucky" to have been accepted? 😕
 
Am I the only one that doesn't feel "lucky" to have been accepted? 😕

Yea, I think he meant fortunate, but there is a certain amount of "chance" involved, especially if you are trying to get into a particular medical school. What one school considers a top candidate another school may not even offer an interview depending on the school's mission. In the grand scheme of things though, you are correct, hard work in school pays off.

MedPR, what school do you think you will be attending?
 
I honestly feel like I am beyond lucky to make it into med school. Especially such amazing institutions. I'm just happy my choice isn't between pikeville and rocky vista (JOKING DONT FLAME ME).

So keeping my insecurity in mind. I am a hard worker, but i'm your average b student. I'm honestly scared of getting kicked out of med school. I put a lot of time and effort but i'm not your standard cocky genius. I like to work with close with teachers (and kiss ass). LMU sounds like I have a higher chance of success. I'm very interested in specializing, if I did decent on the exams, does it matter which school I attend?

You can specialize after graduating from any medical school in the nation. Some may offer you slight advantages, but ultimately how you perform, especially on USMLE/COMLEX 1, audition rotations, etc. will determine how competitive you are.

Medical school is very time consuming (not all that hard, but very time consuming). If you put the time into your studies you will more than likely pass. It seems obvious, but the more time you put in, the better you will do. LMU definitely provides you with the resources to succeed, but whether you use them is up to you. The student body has taken it upon themselves to offer daily study sessions provided by students who have A's or high B's in the class. The student body also constantly sends out study guides several times a day for those interested (definiteley not a cut-throat environment). Also, if you happen to fail a test (hopefully you don't but it's not the end of the world if you do) then the administration will assign you a tutor free of charge.

The school is set-up to maximize your potential as a student. I hope this helps ease your fears a little.
 
You can specialize after graduating from any medical school in the nation. Some may offer you slight advantages, but ultimately how you perform, especially on USMLE/COMLEX 1, audition rotations, etc. will determine how competitive you are.

Medical school is very time consuming (not all that hard, but very time consuming). If you put the time into your studies you will more than likely pass. It seems obvious, but the more time you put in, the better you will do. LMU definitely provides you with the resources to succeed, but whether you use them is up to you. The student body has taken it upon themselves to offer daily study sessions provided by students who have A's or high B's in the class. The student body also constantly sends out study guides several times a day for those interested (definiteley not a cut-throat environment). Also, if you happen to fail a test (hopefully you don't but it's not the end of the world if you do) then the administration will assign you a tutor free of charge.

The school is set-up to maximize your potential as a student. I hope this helps ease your fears a little.

Free study guides, awesome study rooms, free tutors, jeeeeez... what else do they provide? Free lap dances? :naughty:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can specialize after graduating from any medical school in the nation. Some may offer you slight advantages, but ultimately how you perform, especially on USMLE/COMLEX 1, audition rotations, etc. will determine how competitive you are.

Medical school is very time consuming (not all that hard, but very time consuming). If you put the time into your studies you will more than likely pass. It seems obvious, but the more time you put in, the better you will do. LMU definitely provides you with the resources to succeed, but whether you use them is up to you. The student body has taken it upon themselves to offer daily study sessions provided by students who have A's or high B's in the class. The student body also constantly sends out study guides several times a day for those interested (definiteley not a cut-throat environment). Also, if you happen to fail a test (hopefully you don't but it's not the end of the world if you do) then the administration will assign you a tutor free of charge.

The school is set-up to maximize your potential as a student. I hope this helps ease your fears a little.

Free study guides, awesome study rooms, free tutors, jeeeeez... what else do they provide? Free lap dances? :naughty:

Just thought I'd mention that if you're struggling academically there is free tutoring for those that need it at NSU.

Med school doesn't have to be difficult. It's just a constant struggle to keep up. You guys are going to love it!
 
Just thought I'd mention that if you're struggling academically there is free tutoring for those that need it at NSU.

Med school doesn't have to be difficult. It's just a constant struggle to keep up. You guys are going to love it!

Absolutely. The hardest thing about medical school is trying to decide what to do with all the extra free time you have. Should you read a novel, go to the beach, go tanning, take up crochet, or watch Jersey Shore repetitively on Netflix.

I think I am going to look back nostalgically and wish I could have stayed in medical school forever......🤣