Logging Peer-to-Peer Supervision on Time2Track for APPIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piquica

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm hoping to get some guidance on logging peer-to-peer supervision hours on Time2Track, with an eye toward APPIC applications. I am currently working as a peer supervisor at my University's clinic for assessment practicum. A few questions:

1. I will assist during 3 hours of supervision each week to provide constructive feedback to the group (6 supervisees). Should I be logging those 3 hours per week as "peer to peer supervision" on Time2Track?
2. I will be responsible for supervising 1 case during the semester. Beyond offering guidance in supervision, I will be providing feedback/editing my supervisee's report. I'm not sure if that would also fall under "peer to peer supervision" or if it should be logged as "report writing" or some other category.

Asking because, apparently, on the AAPI "Supervision of Other Students Performing Intervention and Assessment Activities" counts toward intervention hours. Of course, I would like to log as many intervention hours as possible, but I also want to track these hours accurately.

***UPDATE #1***

Following up with some answers found here: Quick Start Guide for Entering Your AAPI Psychology Training Experiences

Supervision Received: Supervision can be provided by licensed psychologists, licensed allied mental health providers (e.g., social workers, marriage and family therapists, psychiatrists), and advanced doctoral students or postdoctoral fellows whose supervision is supervised by a licensed psychologist. Supervision activity involves a formal evaluative component, and may include both supervision received as an individual (i.e., one-to-one) and within a group. Supervision that you have provided to less advanced students should not be recorded in this section, and may instead be reported in the Intervention Experience section.

Intervention Experience: For the Total Hours Face-to-Face columns, each hour of a group, family, or couple's session is counted as one practicum hour. For example, a two-hour group session with 12 adults is counted as two hours. Provide additional details and comments, as necessary. For the # of Different columns, count a couple, family, or group as one unit. For example, meeting with a group of 12 adults over a ten-week period for two hours per week counts as 20 hours and one group. Groups may be closed or open membership but, in either case, count the group as one group. Consultation activities may count as practicum hours only to the extent that this activity involves actual clinical intervention. Direct consultation with the client (e.g., individual, family, organization) or an agent of the client (e.g., parent, teacher) would be an activity you would include in this section. Consultation activities with other professionals regarding coordination of care (e.g., psychiatrist), without the client/patient present, should be reported in the Support Activities section.

It seems like supervision of more junior trainees would count as direct consultation with an agent of the client?

***UPDATE #2***

It was pointed out to me that another student is not "an agent of the client" (which, in retrospect, seems obvious). I am emailing APPIC for further clarity on this issue. Stay tuned!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What does your supervisor say?
She doesn't have an opinion. She is a school psychologist and did not go through the APPIC process, so she never had to think to deeply about the Time2Track nomenclature.

Members don't see this ad :)
She doesn't have an opinion. She is a school psychologist and did not go through the APPIC process, so she never had to think to deeply about the Time2Track nomenclature.

Hmmm...If I were you I'd get my TD's opinion since they are the ultimately the one's signing off on your hours for APPIC. Also, I'm a little confused, but it might my own ignorance: Is your supervisor a licensed psychologist? I thought school psychologists couldn't be licensed as psychologists if they didn't go through APPIC.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm...If I were you I'd get my TD's opinion since they are the ultimately the one's signing off on your hours for APPIC. Also, I'm a little confused, but it might my own ignorance: Is your supervisor a licensed psychologist? I thought school psychologists couldn't be licensed as psychologists if they didn't go through APPIC.
Great question! It's all a bit nebulous, so I don't blame you for your confusion. To answer your question: Yes, my supervisor is a licensed doctoral level psychologist.

NASP, the regulatory association for school psychology, does not require that one pursue an APA accredited internship or obtain an internship through APPIC. As such, many doctoral level school psychology graduates who wish to work in a school setting do not undergo the APPIC process--both because it's not required and because many times school psychology programs do not churn out students that are as competitive as clinical psychology students. Not doing APPIC isn't exclusive to individuals who wish to work in a school, though. I know several school and clinical psychologists in private practice who did not pursue an accredited internship. Within my program, we are permitted to go through APPIC, but we receive minimal guidance during the process; it's somewhat of a "pursue at your own risk" dynamic. With that said, I wish to try to place at an APA accredited site, as I want to pursue clinical opportunities after graduation. With this in mind, I made an SDN account a few months ago and have been hoping that I'd see some Time2Track posts with tips. I didn't see anything that answered some of my questions, so I thought I'd try my hand at starting a thread.

I hope that clears things up!

Last edited:
Great question! It's all a bit nebulous, so I don't blame you for your confusion. To answer your question: Yes, my supervisor is a licensed doctoral level psychologist.

NASP, the regulatory association for school psychology, does not require that one pursue an APA accredited internship or obtain an internship through APPIC. As such, many doctoral level school psychology graduates who wish to work in a school setting do not undergo the APPIC process--both because it's not required and because many times school psychology programs do not churn out students that are as competitive as clinical psychology students. Not doing APPIC isn't exclusive to individuals who wish to work in a school, though. I know several school and clinical psychologists in private practice who did not pursue an accredited internship. Within my program, we are permitted to go through APPIC, but we receive little to no support or guidance during the process; it's somewhat of a "pursue at your own risk" mentality. Despite this, I wish to try to place at an APA accredited site, as I want to pursue clinical opportunities after graduation. With this in mind, I made an SDN account a few months ago and have been hoping that I'd see some Time2Track posts with tips. I didn't see anything that answered some of my questions, so I thought I'd try my hand at starting a thread.

I hope that clears things up!

Ah, okay. I'm glad you're choosing to do an internship, I've known some school folks who went this route and had many more opportunities compared to those who didn't. It's probably also worth saying that you should shoot for an APA-accredited internship to maximize your employment chances post-graduation. I've known school folks who were successful in completing APA-accredited internships so don't sell yourself short. I know there are school-consortium programs that are APA-accredited and favor school psychologists. Some people from programs with poor match rates will talk down the importance of APA-accredited internship programs, but I wouldn't listen if I were you.

In regard to your original question, you really need to have this discussion with your practicum supervisor and training director. They are the ones who are ultimately responsible for authenticating your hours to APPIC. I'll offer my opinion to help you start that conversation, but please don't just take my word for it. Presuming these are other students in your program, #1 sounds like peer supervision to me since you are not their supervisor of record. Non-face to face hours are not intervention hours. See below:

How to Choose an Activity Type in Time2Track

The group experience sounds like peer-to-peer supervision to me, unless your supervisor is also present and you're considering counting those hours as supervision for yourself. In that case, check with your supervisor to see if they also consider it supervision for you, but you should only count them as one or the other.

The APPI instructions do mention that supervision of others can count toward intervention experience, although I believe it would be listed under the consultation section, not face-to-face/direct patient contact hours. Double-check the APPI and Time2Track instructions, but time spent reviewing/editing reports may also count as peer-to-peer supervision time (i.e., consultation). Time spent actually discussing the report with the other trainee would certainly count as peer-to-peer supervision.

The APPI instructions do mention that supervision of others can count toward intervention experience, although I believe it would be listed under the consultation section, not face-to-face/direct patient contact hours.

I think this is counted as "supervision of other students" in T2T, which is an intervention hour. My understanding of that code is that supervision of supervision needs to be a part of the practicum experience.

I think this is counted as "supervision of other students" in T2T, which is an intervention hour. My understanding of that code is that supervision of supervision needs to be a part of the practicum experience.

Yes, sorry, I was referencing the section on the APPI, not in T2T (which I've personally only seen very briefly).

The APPI instructions do mention that supervision of others can count toward intervention experience, although I believe it would be listed under the consultation section, not face-to-face/direct patient contact hours.
My program had regular tiered, peer-to-peer supervision that was supervised by a licensed psychologist that I received supervision from (for my supervision) and I believe that's how I counted these hours in my APPI. It wasn't a f2f/intervention hour but counted as something else.

I also counted my receiving supervision (as a peer supervisor) as part of my overall supervision hours.

Hi all! I'm hoping to get some guidance on logging peer-to-peer supervision hours on Time2Track, with an eye toward APPIC applications. I am currently working as a peer supervisor at my University's clinic for assessment practicum. A few questions:

1. I will assist during 3 hours of supervision each week to provide constructive feedback to the group (6 supervisees). Should I be logging those 3 hours per week as "peer to peer supervision" on Time2Track?
2. I will be responsible for supervising 1 case during the semester. Beyond offering guidance in supervision, I will be providing feedback/editing my supervisee's report. I'm not sure if that would also fall under "peer to peer supervision" or if it should be logged as "report writing" or some other category.

Asking because, apparently, on the AAPI "Supervision of Other Students Performing Intervention and Assessment Activities" counts toward intervention hours. Of course, I would like to log as many intervention hours as possible, but I also want to track these hours accurately.
What you're describing here sounds like peer supervision, not "Supervision of Other Students Performing Intervention and Assessment Activities," which would be more like being there in the room while a more junior trainee is working directly with a patient and you're assisting in the room and/or giving them feedback afterwards.

Ah, okay. I'm glad you're choosing to do an internship, I've known some school folks who went this route and had many more opportunities compared to those who didn't. It's probably also worth saying that you should shoot for an APA-accredited internship to maximize your employment chances post-graduation. I've known school folks who were successful in completing APA-accredited internships so don't sell yourself short. I know there are school-consortium programs that are APA-accredited and favor school psychologists. Some people from programs with poor match rates will talk down the importance of APA-accredited internship programs, but I wouldn't listen if I were you.

In regard to your original question, you really need to have this discussion with your practicum supervisor and training director. They are the ones who are ultimately responsible for authenticating your hours to APPIC. I'll offer my opinion to help you start that conversation, but please don't just take my word for it. Presuming these are other students in your program, #1 sounds like peer supervision to me since you are not their supervisor of record. Non-face to face hours are not intervention hours. See below:

How to Choose an Activity Type in Time2Track
I agree that I should consult with my DCT about this, and I also appreciate you taking the time to offer your view. I also am very much on the same page as you re: APA-accredited internships. I've had that in my sights since starting at my program and have made every effort to supplement program deficits. I'm hoping that these efforts will yield a placement at an APA-accredited site.

The group experience sounds like peer-to-peer supervision to me, unless your supervisor is also present and you're considering counting those hours as supervision for yourself. In that case, check with your supervisor to see if they also consider it supervision for you, but you should only count them as one or the other.

The APPI instructions do mention that supervision of others can count toward intervention experience, although I believe it would be listed under the consultation section, not face-to-face/direct patient contact hours. Double-check the APPI and Time2Track instructions, but time spent reviewing/editing reports may also count as peer-to-peer supervision time (i.e., consultation). Time spent actually discussing the report with the other trainee would certainly count as peer-to-peer supervision.
Thanks for weighing in! I am not considering them as supervision hours for myself, so it sounds like "peer-to-peer supervision" would be a better fit. I also appreciate you reinforcing that it's inadvisable to double dip. I've been keeping this in mind as I log my hours, but a reminder never hurts! I'll have to consult the APPI instructions; I've been checking on Time2Track, but APPI is the ultimate destination for these hours, so it makes sense to look there, too.

My program had regular tiered, peer-to-peer supervision that was supervised by a licensed psychologist that I received supervision from (for my supervision) and I believe that's how I counted these hours in my APPI. It wasn't a f2f/intervention hour but counted as something else.

I also counted my receiving supervision (as a peer supervisor) as part of my overall supervision hours.
Oh, interesting! So, you would count those hours as "group supervision" and not "peer-to-peer supervision"?

What you're describing here sounds like peer supervision, not "Supervision of Other Students Performing Intervention and Assessment Activities," which would be more like being there in the room while a more junior trainee is working directly with a patient and you're assisting in the room and/or giving them feedback afterwards.
Thanks for clarifying what "Supervision of Other Students Performing Intervention and Assessment Activities" means. That makes much more sense!

Following up with some answers found here: Quick Start Guide for Entering Your AAPI Psychology Training Experiences

Supervision Received: Supervision can be provided by licensed psychologists, licensed allied mental health providers (e.g., social workers, marriage and family therapists, psychiatrists), and advanced doctoral students or postdoctoral fellows whose supervision is supervised by a licensed psychologist. Supervision activity involves a formal evaluative component, and may include both supervision received as an individual (i.e., one-to-one) and within a group. Supervision that you have provided to less advanced students should not be recorded in this section, and may instead be reported in the Intervention Experience section.

Intervention Experience: For the Total Hours Face-to-Face columns, each hour of a group, family, or couple's session is counted as one practicum hour. For example, a two-hour group session with 12 adults is counted as two hours. Provide additional details and comments, as necessary. For the # of Different columns, count a couple, family, or group as one unit. For example, meeting with a group of 12 adults over a ten-week period for two hours per week counts as 20 hours and one group. Groups may be closed or open membership but, in either case, count the group as one group. Consultation activities may count as practicum hours only to the extent that this activity involves actual clinical intervention. Direct consultation with the client (e.g., individual, family, organization) or an agent of the client (e.g., parent, teacher) would be an activity you would include in this section. Consultation activities with other professionals regarding coordination of care (e.g., psychiatrist), without the client/patient present, should be reported in the Support Activities section.

It seems like supervision of more junior trainees would count as direct consultation with an agent of the client?

My read is that I wouldn't consider peer-to-peer supervision as consultation with an agent of the client, but rather, consultation with other professionals. But you could also always just try emailing APPIC directly.

I wouldn't consider another prac student to be an "agent of the client" in this situation.

My read is that I wouldn't consider peer-to-peer supervision as consultation with an agent of the client, but rather, consultation with other professionals. But you could also always just try emailing APPIC directly.
Good suggestion. I think I will email them!