Looking for advice on Gap-year jobs and information on DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaCubaniche

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I recently just graduated from the University of Florida and I feel like I am riding the craziest roller coaster of life. I graduated in August so since then I have been focused on studying for the MCAT (January, thinking of pushing back for reasons you'll read about later) because I was so confident that with the grace of God I would get into a DO program (looking at NOVA, FL) but I have come to the conclusion that at the moment I am not a strong enough candidate and prayer is not going to be enough in my case.

I have been working as a research assistant for a little over a year now but since I graduated that job is dying down and it's not getting me anywhere. I am looking at EMT courses or CNA courses but I am not sure if that would be a good idea. I am leaning towards the EMT courses, although it takes a while to get through the courses, it seems like something that would be very beneficial for my application. Has anyone done something similar during their gap year? If so, how did you like it? Do you have any suggestions on other technical courses that are entry level and good for an "application boost?"

Also,a while back an undergrad advisor told me that DO schools did not offer grade replacement but after reading many threads on that I have learned that IT DOES EXISIT! Is this rule for ALL DO schools? I have been Google searching to see if there is a list on the web of schools that do it but I am not able to find one. Also, how does that work? I should probably speak to an advisor of the school I am looking into, but I wanted some info before I went in and asked a bunch of silly questions.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes they do grade replacement

Every DO school that uses AACOMAS allows for grade replacement. The only school that doesnt is TCOM, and they use TMDSAS.

I feel that being an EMT won't help your application as much as improving your GPA or doing well on the MCAT, so I would focus on that instead. The return you would get compared to how much effort and money you would put in isn't worth it, unless you get a lot of experience. This is coming from someone whos been an EMT for 3 years. Depending on where you take an EMT class, it might take as long as 1 semester or 2 quarters and that's a lot of time. Starting pay isn't very good either and it can be a physically demanding and risky job. Don't become an EMT just because you want to put it on your app. If your reason for taking the class is more along the lines of you want to take part in EMS, then it might be worth it.

If you want a healthcare related job, look into becoming a scribe, you won't need to jump through as many hoops. If you still have questions on becoming an EMT, feel free to PM me

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, OP what are your stats? They can help in gauging if you indeed need grade replacement.

Reactions: 1 user
cGPA=2.89 and sGPA =3.1 I already took an MCAT and scored a 30 but I am retaking it to see if I can get a competitive score since my GPA is horrible. I have a C in Biochemistry and a couple of B- grades in different classes. My freshman year I was an APK major and I took an anatomy class that I got a D+ in. I never retook that class because I ended up switching majors and not needing the class. I feel like that would probably be something I should definitely retake.

I like the EMT route because I feel like I would be learning a lot more than where I am at now. I also noticed that with an EMT-B cert you could potentially work as a medical assistant or an ER Tech. I guess it just depends on where you live and the job opportunities available. I have been looking into medical scribe jobs but those are difficult to come by as they do not require any certification.

I have about a year and a half so I need to find something that can expose me to the healthcare field while still be able to retake some classes...

cGPA=2.89 and sGPA =3.1 I already took an MCAT and scored a 30 but I am retaking it to see if I can get a competitive score since my GPA is horrible. I have a C in Biochemistry and a couple of B- grades in different classes. My freshman year I was an APK major and I took an anatomy class that I got a D+ in. I never retook that class because I ended up switching majors and not needing the class. I feel like that would probably be something I should definitely retake.

I like the EMT route because I feel like I would be learning a lot more than where I am at now. I also noticed that with an EMT-B cert you could potentially work as a medical assistant or an ER Tech. I guess it just depends on where you live and the job opportunities available. I have been looking into medical scribe jobs but those are difficult to come by as they do not require any certification.

I have about a year and a half so I need to find something that can expose me to the healthcare field while still be able to retake some classes...
With that MCAT score it would be a waste to retake it. The new MCAT is very different and a 30 is more than acceptable for DO school unless your score is about to expire. I think you should focus on your GPA by retaking any classes with a C or lower. As for EMT that is a great route but depending on where you live you won't be able to find a job or it will just be transport and not really anything with taking care of patients and exposing you to healthcare. I would suggest looking at current healthcare opportunities in your local hospital. There is also nothing wrong with a nursing assistant or medical assistant.

With that MCAT score it would be a waste to retake it. The new MCAT is very different and a 30 is more than acceptable for DO school unless your score is about to expire. I think you should focus on your GPA by retaking any classes with a C or lower. As for EMT that is a great route but depending on where you live you won't be able to find a job or it will just be transport and not really anything with taking care of patients and exposing you to healthcare. I would suggest looking at current healthcare opportunities in your local hospital. There is also nothing wrong with a nursing assistant or medical assistant.

Thanks for the advice! I have been looking into medical assistant and nursing assistant courses but there are so many titles for those that I am not sure what does what and what courses are required. In my area that medical assistants seem to be in high demand, and that course is cheaper and shorter.

I would like to do something that isn't your typical "resume builder." I plan on joining the Air Force if I get into med school, so I would like something that can prepare me to think on my feet. I know as an EMT-B you don't really get to do the fun stuff but it is the one that seems to let you do more things, but I could be wrong...

Well, no MCAT score will get you an acceptance to Nova with that cGPA. You'll need to retake the classes you do poorly in and hopefully raise that GPA to about a 3.4.

Your MCAT score is already very good, as most schools only have MCAT averages around 28.

I would most likely find a part time job, and then go to school part time to make use of that grade replacement. Your priority should be bringing that GPA up, not looking for jobs.

In terms of job options - it pays horribly, but the experience you gain scribing is excellent, so if you can actually find a job it's not a bad option in terms of clinical experience. Otherwise, EMT is a good experience depending on what you do, especially if you become certified as a tech in an ER or another area of the hospital as you mentioned. I have a couple of friends who tried CNA and really didn't like it, but I honestly don't know enough to comment... I'd say do your research on all of those outlets and see which one fits best for you. Techs do a TON in the ER and you get plenty of hands on experience/patient contact/working with other health professionals, while scribes are more just hanging with the doctors themselves, learning a lot of terms, learning a lot about H&Ps. Good luck to you! :)

In terms of job options - it pays horribly, but the experience you gain scribing is excellent, so if you can actually find a job it's not a bad option in terms of clinical experience. Otherwise, EMT is a good experience depending on what you do, especially if you become certified as a tech in an ER or another area of the hospital as you mentioned. I have a couple of friends who tried CNA and really didn't like it, but I honestly don't know enough to comment... I'd say do your research on all of those outlets and see which one fits best for you. Techs do a TON in the ER and you get plenty of hands on experience/patient contact/working with other health professionals, while scribes are more just hanging with the doctors themselves, learning a lot of terms, learning a lot about H&Ps. Good luck to you! :)

Thank you for the advice! :)

I also have another question that hopefully someone knows the answer to: In regards to grade forgiveness, do schools prefer university classes or community college classes? I do know that the course you plan on retaking needs to be either equivalent or more in credits but is there a preference? What worries me is that during interviews it may be seen as "oh, she couldn't handle a university anatomy course," when in reality it's just a matter of money.

No they don't care if retakes are at a CC or university. They know that money can be tight. And when does your MCAT expire? Get the GPA 3.3+ and you will be good. Ideally you want 3.4 buy anything above a 3.2 will most likely result in an acceptance somewhere. If you are really gunning for Nova try and get it 3.4+.

No they don't care if retakes are at a CC or university. They know that money can be tight. And when does your MCAT expire? Get the GPA 3.3+ and you will be good. Ideally you want 3.4 buy anything above a 3.2 will most likely result in an acceptance somewhere. If you are really gunning for Nova try and get it 3.4+.

Thanks for the help! I just took it last January so I have two more years until it's no good. I'm really pushing for NOVA. I love the school and the atmosphere is great! Plus, I heard there are a lot of Spanish speakers there and that is my first language, so I feel like I would be at home. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You should look into post bacc or a masters program with your GPA or just retake all the classes you did poorly in. Your MCAT is good so do not bother with that and a year of research is fine. I would make sure you have some volunteering (hospital, health clinic, volunteer fire station, etc) and shadowing under your belt and try seeing if there are any medical opportunities that do not require you to pay a lot of money for a class. For instance, scribing or some places will train you on the job to be a MA

I agree with what others have been saying. Get the grades up, that should be first priority.

On your other point, I have my own opinions. I have a CNA and EMT, in my experience getting a job as a CNA is MUCH easier. EMT jobs are hard to come by where I am from (might be different for you), CNA jobs on the other hand are everywhere. Be prepared though, if you decide to work as a CNA you will see a totally different side of healthcare. It is a difficult, demanding, and a somewhat unappreciated job. I relish my experiences as a CNA, however, and the experience has been very rewarding. So I would say knock out the CNA course, I did mine CNA course in two weeks, took a state test 3 weeks later and had a job two weeks after my test (7 weeks total).

I agree with what others have been saying. Get the grades up, that should be first priority.

On your other point, I have my own opinions. I have a CNA and EMT, in my experience getting a job as a CNA is MUCH easier. EMT jobs are hard to come by where I am from (might be different for you), CNA jobs on the other hand are everywhere. Be prepared though, if you decide to work as a CNA you will see a totally different side of healthcare. It is a difficult, demanding, and a somewhat unappreciated job. I relish my experiences as a CNA, however, and the experience has been very rewarding. So I would say knock out the CNA course, I did mine CNA course in two weeks, took a state test 3 weeks later and had a job two weeks after my test (7 weeks total).

Thanks for the input! I have been seeing that there are different lengths of CNA courses...Most of them at community colleges are 7 weeks long and at express training locations some are 1-2 weeks long. Not quite sure if there is a difference in the training or if it's just a money thing because the shorter courses are about 50% cheaper than the CC ones.

I would do scribe. It is what I do and I have learned a ton. I got accepted finally with GPA and MCAT improvement. Third time is the charm though. ER tech would be good to, but I think scribe looks good to most schools. Minimal education required, but pretty poor pay if you start out working for ScribeAmerica or PhysAssist. I work for one of them and I am at minimum but I go up to 10 an hour after 300 solo hours. I am currently looking at other scribe jobs and I've had one interview for a job that pays 15 an hour, so there is an opportunity to move up outside of the big scribe companies.

The grade replacement is picky from what I hear. They can't guarantee that they will replace grades from another institution, so your best best is to stay at UF and retake there if you do that. It wouldn't hurt to retake some of your worst grades. Good luck, don't be one of those people that give up after one or two tries.

Thanks for the input! I have been seeing that there are different lengths of CNA courses...Most of them at community colleges are 7 weeks long and at express training locations some are 1-2 weeks long. Not quite sure if there is a difference in the training or if it's just a money thing because the shorter courses are about 50% cheaper than the CC ones.

The training is less important in my opinion. If you do it, I would choose the fastest/cheapest option. The reason being is, when you are hired the facility where you work will retrain you to do things the way they do them. Don't underestimate the cons though! Pay is bad, job is difficult and unappreciated.

Thanks for the help! I just took it last January so I have two more years until it's no good. I'm really pushing for NOVA. I love the school and the atmosphere is great! Plus, I heard there are a lot of Spanish speakers there and that is my first language, so I feel like I would be at home. :D

Hey, fellow Gator! I also am a UF grad. I worked my gap years as a Medical Assistant, which in the state of Florida does not require any expensive certification courses. I live and work in South Florida, about 25 minutes from Nova's campus, and it has worked in my favor because NSU offered me an interview last-minute because they knew I was a local and could make it quickly when they had a cancellation. :) I definitely recommend working as a MA in your gap year, it's been incredibly rewarding! I don't know what your timetable is like, but I know my employers are looking to replace me when I move in July to go to school and you'd be welcome to interview for the spot. ;) Message me. Go Gators!

Background on the MA position - we take patients back, take vitals, do charting, and at my office we're very hands-on -- I am responsible for doing the HPI/Physical/Assessment/Plan on the Electronic Medical Records, which really familiarizes me with a lot of the terminology. I'm in the room for almost all patient encounters, and on my lunch breaks I have the opportunity to observe colonoscopies, endoscopies, PEG placements, ERCPS etc. And the pay is 50% higher than an ER scribe. Look into it! There are plenty of jobs in Gainesville if you're still there, I worked as an MA in Gainesville for about a year and a half and it was fantastic.

Background on the MA position - we take patients back, take vitals, do charting, and at my office we're very hands-on -- I am responsible for doing the HPI/Physical/Assessment/Plan on the Electronic Medical Records, which really familiarizes me with a lot of the terminology. I'm in the room for almost all patient encounters, and on my lunch breaks I have the opportunity to observe colonoscopies, endoscopies, PEG placements, ERCPS etc. And the pay is 50% higher than an ER scribe. Look into it! There are plenty of jobs in Gainesville if you're still there, I worked as an MA in Gainesville for about a year and a half and it was fantastic.

Hi! :) Congratulations on NOVA!! Hopefully, I will see you around the following cycle. I was thinking of moving down to Stuart actually because it would be closer to the school and maybe I could retake some courses there but I have been waiting on my CNA cert before making that decision.
I actually just took a CNA prep course that was 3 days long and will be taking the certification exam in a couple days. If you don't mind me asking how long did it take to become a MA certified? The programs I have looked at are about 6-10 months long.

Hi! :) Congratulations on NOVA!! Hopefully, I will see you around the following cycle. I was thinking of moving down to Stuart actually because it would be closer to the school and maybe I could retake some courses there but I have been waiting on my CNA cert before making that decision.
I actually just took a CNA prep course that was 3 days long and will be taking the certification exam in a couple days. If you don't mind me asking how long did it take to become a MA certified? The programs I have looked at are about 6-10 months long.
There is no required certification in the state of Florida for MA ;)