Looking to pursue an SMP for reinvention and found one for FREE (ish) at a medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsILayFaulkner_8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Looking for advice in pursuing an SMP for reinvention. I found a program that is practically free, offered at a pretty good medical school, and seems pretty interesting. It is an MS in Pathology and says it offers courses with the same rigour as medical school in the program description, there is a thesis, it's taught by medical school professors, etc. There is a full stipend and you receive tuition support until you finish the one year program (it's not super expensive at <$40k). I was searching in SDN forums trying to find out if others have gotten an MS in Pathology for an SMP and I didn't really find anything except one thread from a couple years ago that left me with more questions than answers.

Is a pathology masters actually a no-go? Any insight from those who did something similar? Is there a reason why this program is practically free?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You can find thesis and non-thesis master's programs in biology that provide a stipend and tuition waiver from day 1. That's what I did.

Reactions: 1 user
talk to people in the program and see hwo many of them go to med school after; is there a linkage with a med school? etc

Members don't see this ad :)
talk to people in the program and see hwo many of them go to med school after; is there a linkage with a med school? etc
Yeah, I'm not sure if there is but it's taught at one. I'll double check on that!

Turns out only 28 people have done the program since 2005. Five of them went to medical school afterwards. Seems a little odd so I'll talk to the school.

Turns out only 28 people have done the program since 2005. Five of them went to medical school afterwards. Seems a little odd so I'll talk to the school.
seems suboptimal if your goal is med school but maybe the degree itself is more useful than a generic SMP degree. Do most people go become pathologist assistants? Its a decent gig but if thats not something you wanna do its not the straightest path.

Reactions: 1 user