Louisiana residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, I just got an email from LSUNO saying my file was complete. I also got this email in September when my file was complete. What's with that? Is it because I sent an update letter?

Becauase I'll be sending an updating transcript, etc., so will I get a third completed email? Just confused...

Members don't see this ad.

No, that's not it. I know I could get in there. But because it's so late in the cycle, that's pretty much one of the only places left. I'm probably just going to sit this year out and apply early next year.

I'm from Shreveport.

I second SoCo's sentiments on this one, especially at Tulane who are much more about students being a good fit for their unique school rather than being number ******. No one is guaranteed an acceptance anywhere untill it is in your hands. Plenty of people have phenomenal numbers and don't get in. Beyond just being realistic, I would try to squash the ego down a bit because this type of attitude can be a turn off for adcoms if it shines thru in interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with psipsina, case in point:
I was accepted (look at my stats on mdapps link). A friend of mine with a 3.8 and 35 MCAT was not accepted. He, of course ranted on about how he deserved it and I didnt (we joke around about this all the time- although Im sure he was semi-serious). Why? Because I was a good fit for their school and can carry myself well in a social situation, especially in interviews. He is your more straightforward, follow professor and rank etiquette, straight arrow type of guy. The interview is extremely important, and underscores the nebulous good fit for our school philosophy that Tulane has. Im a northeasterner, but if nothing else changes in my med school application, expect me to be in LA for the next four years! :)

Welcome to LA! The best state in the union that nobody knows about. Seriously, I had a guy from California ask me if we had movie theaters. And did we really have those little boats to get around? I think that's my favorite.

Anyway, congrats! :)

The interview experience at LSU-Shreveport was nice. It lasted about 6 hours and I enjoyed it. Probably the most encouraging thing was that our group was filled with future medical school gunners. There wasn't a candidate that I couldn't see as a future student. To be included with those folks was encouraging. I asked Dr. Kennedy, the Dean of Admissions, if there was a correlation between being invited to interview and eventually being accepted, and he said "yes." So, if one is not an idiot or an arrogant prick who has a sense of entitlement, then there is a strong chance that medical school is in one's future. That's good stuff for all God's children out there who've received an invite.

He is your more straightforward, follow professor and rank etiquette, straight arrow type of guy.

Yah, that guy would be miserable at Tulane, lol.

I think there is a realm of reasoning that ONLY those who are on an adcom are privy to. All of our speculation remains speculation. One might think it's the symbol of infinity that he or she scored on the MCAT when it could very well be the volunteer work they did teaching the homeless to tie shoes. Who knows? Unless one of the extracurriculars is serving on an adcom, I generally don't pay attention to those souls who are so certain to know the minds of the gatekeepers. You know what I'm sayin', G?

I am having a hard time deciding on which school to attend, and have decided to make it at least partially on finances. Does anyone know anything about the scholarship process at these two schools? Dr. Eubanks said they offer 10 full scholarships per year, but he didn't really say how you apply for them. They also offer around 15 full scholarships if you agree to do rural medicine. In Shreveport, the lady from financial aid said they also have scholarships available, but again didn't mention how to get them. I never thought to ask this seemingly obvious question, but does anyone know what you need to do to apply for the scholarships?

I received the second confirmation of my completed application a couple of weeks ago. That's about it. Maybe they are playing coy.

Okay, I go to Tulane Undergrad and would like to get into Tulane Med School or any Med school for that matter. Currently my GPA is DRASTIC. I mean it's a 3.0 and I just finished my 1st semester of Somphmore Year. I did horrible in genetics which pulled my grade down alot. Therefore, if I am able to bring up my grades for the rest of my stay at Tulane do I have a good chance? Also, should I retake any of the classes that I did horrible in? I.e. 1.0 GPA for that class :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Well first of all, you're a sophomore so don't panic. I'm a grad student, had an overall 3.2 and still managed to get in because I've had a spectacular experience. You gotta understand that Tulane puts alot of emphasis on character. There's no guarantee that even you pull your GPA up over a 3.6 that you will get in. That said, yes, you can get in. There are many success stories of people on the board that have gotten into schools, including Tulane, with a low GPA/good MCAT. Just focus on your coursework and don't crap a brick. If you failed a course, and it is required for your major, then yes, retake it. If it is a prereq for med school, yes, retake it. I would also recommend retaking biochem, physio, other MS-1 year courses again if you failed it, but only if you pull a B+ or higher on it. Otherwise, do not bother retaking non-required courses because you're expected to get really high marks, if not, it would hurt more than help. Genetics sounds like a required class, if you passed, I'd ask an advisor to retake it or not (i wouldnt but im not everyone).

Well first of all, you're a sophomore so don't panic. I'm a grad student, had an overall 3.2 and still managed to get in because I've had a spectacular experience. You gotta understand that Tulane puts alot of emphasis on character. There's no guarantee that even you pull your GPA up over a 3.6 that you will get in. That said, yes, you can get in. There are many success stories of people on the board that have gotten into schools, including Tulane, with a low GPA/good MCAT. Just focus on your coursework and don't crap a brick. If you failed a course, and it is required for your major, then yes, retake it. If it is a prereq for med school, yes, retake it. I would also recommend retaking biochem, physio, other MS-1 year courses again if you failed it, but only if you pull a B+ or higher on it. Otherwise, do not bother retaking non-required courses because you're expected to get really high marks, if not, it would hurt more than help. Genetics sounds like a required class, if you passed, I'd ask an advisor to retake it or not (i wouldnt but im not everyone).

The only reason I did bad in these classes was becuase I was exteremly lazy and had bad study techniques. With 100% certainty I can say that if I retake it I will ace them. I got a D+ is Genetics which is my lowest grade. I was also thinking about taking some other classes at a local university and having those transfered in. Right now, this semester I should be able to pull off a 3.5 atleast and next semester now that I know how serious medschool is I'm sure i can pull off 3.8-4.0 for the remainder of college. Also, would it look bad if I transfered right now? I was thinking UVA 1. Becuase it is much cheaper and 2. It's closer to home :)

Hey...JustMg. If one wants to be a doctor, I would encourage them to stop making excuses. There are tons of resources to help one enhance their noodle but I think being responsible for one's own actions is the most important ability.

I also believe that homo sapiens are an alien-chimp hybrid, for what it's worth. Just joking...are there any von Daniken fans out there?

k, i realize i'm not an LA resident, so i prolly shouldn't be posting here... BUT i'm doing my masters at TU and really hoping to get an interview there as well.
anyone know of chances/status/etc... for out of state ppl at Tulane? will doing my masters here help at all? i know their admissions office is backed up, but i've been complete for a looooooooooooong time and have heard nada.
anyone?

This is total speculation on my part. Tulane seems to have a unique formula for selecting and inviting students relative to other schools of similar caliber. The smarter, more unorthodox, and unconventional one is in their approach to medical school, the better one's chances are at Tulane. That little axiom probably applies to most medical schools, but in the case of Tulane, I think it applies to a greater degree. Again, mere speculation on my part. I hope a Tulane medical student on this forum clears up some of that conjecture.

k, i realize i'm not an LA resident, so i prolly shouldn't be posting here... BUT i'm doing my masters at TU and really hoping to get an interview there as well.
anyone know of chances/status/etc... for out of state ppl at Tulane? will doing my masters here help at all? i know their admissions office is backed up, but i've been complete for a looooooooooooong time and have heard nada.
anyone?

Hey! I also did my MS in CMB at Tulane (actually there's like 5 of us in my class at LSU-NO). Be patient--if you're fairly competitive (solid gpa, solid MCAT), then you'll more than likely interview at Tulane. And Tulane historically *loves* out of staters--quite possibly more so than the in-states! :laugh:
Best of luck to you!

Hey Southern Comfort- in your opinion, what does Tulane Adcom look for in a candiate? Was my perception a few posts up even close?

Hey...JustMg. If one wants to be a doctor, I would encourage them to stop making excuses. There are tons of resources to help one enhance their noodle but I think being responsible for one's own actions is the most important ability.

What I said is not an excuse it was the flat out truth. Well the reason I am on this board IS becuase I knew my actions where messing up my career.

I was interviewed and accepted. I have a wide range of extracurricular experiences and a rather interesitng personal statement about spoken word (i am a spoken word artist). All those+ a great interview earned me an acceptance. I think in addition to have an outstanding academic/AMCAS application they seem to put alot more emphasis on your personal statement, your letters of recommendations, and especially your interview. It seems like they are looking for students who will become a real closely knit family for the next four years, versus students who want to outgun one another for top dog honors. Personality fits into the equation alot here.

I interviewed on Tuesday and got a call Thursday night from Dr. Kennedy! I'm in! I'm in! and I really enjoyed my interview experience there. If i get into tulane med or lsu-no i will have a very tough decision to make. Good luck to all of you. Weee cann doooooo ittttt....:D

Okay, I go to Tulane Undergrad and would like to get into Tulane Med School or any Med school for that matter. Currently my GPA is DRASTIC. I mean it's a 3.0 and I just finished my 1st semester of Somphmore Year. I did horrible in genetics which pulled my grade down alot. Therefore, if I am able to bring up my grades for the rest of my stay at Tulane do I have a good chance? Also, should I retake any of the classes that I did horrible in? I.e. 1.0 GPA for that class :(

Haha, I took genetics at Tulane and got a D+ (who'd you have??) and I still got accepted to all three schools in state. When I applied I had a 3.1 sci gpa and a 3.4 overall, with really really good gpas junior and senior year. I also did alot of research and had a ton of clinical experience.

Hey Southern Comfort- in your opinion, what does Tulane Adcom look for in a candiate? Was my perception a few posts up even close?

Hey, tulane looks for someone they think will fit in and contribute to their community. They want people who are interesting, laid back, and generally cool people in addition to being capable of completing the rigorous coursework of medical school. My interviews were more like conversations with new friends, if we cliqued (which we did) they would tell me that they were reccomending me. If you are invited to interview at tulane, they've determined that you are academically competent and are just trying to see if you would fit in/contribute to/enjoy your time as a part of the tulane community.

I received the second confirmation of my completed application a couple of weeks ago. That's about it. Maybe they are playing coy.

Glad I'm not the only one who got a 2nd comfirmation. Maybe we're back at the top of the pile!!!!! A girl can dream...

:confused: Does anyone know if LSU-NO is sending out anymore interview invites before the semester draws to a close? I'd really hate to wait till January to hear anything :(. And also if anybody knew how many spots have been filled in the class already?

Whoyoube- I have no idea about LSU-NO. I know that they extended their deadline. Who knows? It is awfully close to the holidays. It was surprise me if they started a new cycle this week or next.

Hey! I also did my MS in CMB at Tulane (actually there's like 5 of us in my class at LSU-NO). Be patient--if you're fairly competitive (solid gpa, solid MCAT), then you'll more than likely interview at Tulane. And Tulane historically *loves* out of staters--quite possibly more so than the in-states! :laugh:
Best of luck to you!

hey! good to hear from another CMB'er. :)
actually, i just heard yesterday from Tulane, they invited me for an interview! yay! i'm very happy... i would stay here, i'm really liking NOLA.
thanks for your post! just in case you're back on here, how well you do think the CMB program prepared you for your first year?
happy holidays :)

New Orleans is a great place to go to medical school. Yes, it has dried out (other than some rain storm flooding the other day). I am a 2nd yr in New Orleans, and I do not regret my decision to go there. I cancelled other interviews when I got accepted.

PsiPsi....how did finals go (what's your name?) I'm Mike W., older L-2, 2 kids....blahblah

New Orleans is a great place to go to medical school. Yes, it has dried out (other than some rain storm flooding the other day). I am a 2nd yr in New Orleans, and I do not regret my decision to go there. I cancelled other interviews when I got accepted.

PsiPsi....how did finals go (what's your name?) I'm Mike W., older L-2, 2 kids....blahblah

Hey, yeah about those finals, I haven't taken them yet :eek: . . . I was hospitalized twice this block with a kidney infection so they are extended until the beginning of January which has totally ruined my break but I'm thankful that I didn't just fail it last week. Do you know of anyone who took a essay written for gross or an oral practical, ugg I'm bugging out about those cause I have no clue how to prepare for them. Anyways I'm Carrie S. . . did we meet at the married forum??? Well, off to spend my christmas eve with netters and a cadaver. Happy holidays.

Hey, yeah about those finals, I haven't taken them yet :eek: . . . I was hospitalized twice this block with a kidney infection so they are extended until the beginning of January which has totally ruined my break but I'm thankful that I didn't just fail it last week. Do you know of anyone who took a essay written for gross or an oral practical, ugg I'm bugging out about those cause I have no clue how to prepare for them. Anyways I'm Carrie S. . . did we meet at the married forum??? Well, off to spend my christmas eve with netters and a cadaver. Happy holidays.

Yuck, You have to take an oral practical? How does that work? And essay for gross? That might be easier, actually. I always wondered if I should just skip the exams and take the make-up, in case it would be easier. Actually, I could probably do better on both an essay and an oral practical, now that I think about it. Let us know how that goes - I am definitely curious.

I don't want the topic to sink to the back, so what's going on with everyone?

Congrats to all of you guys!! I was so excited to see the Louisiana thread that I nearly jumped out of my seat..hehe. I have an acceptance to LSU-S :D so I may be joining Ave. and the rest of you guys who are going there for sure. Dr. Kennedy is one of the nicest people ever!
I had 2 OOS interviews and I have 1 coming up. I'm debating whether I should stay in state or go out of state...it's hella cheaper and I really liked LSU-S!!
I hope the process is going well for everyone, Happy Friday!! :thumbup:

Yuck, You have to take an oral practical? How does that work? And essay for gross? That might be easier, actually. I always wondered if I should just skip the exams and take the make-up, in case it would be easier. Actually, I could probably do better on both an essay and an oral practical, now that I think about it. Let us know how that goes - I am definitely curious.

Yeah, the process sucked because I lost my break (took the exams in the first week of Jan so I studied thru the christmas week) and because I was soo stressed about it, but I did pretty well. My written was within 2 points of my previous one, and my practical bumped up 10 points from the previous two (which I had the same grade on both, too weird). I'm not sure if it was the format or the fact that I was so stressed that I studied even harder than normal but I'm happy with the result. The proffs said that if time allowed they would opt to do oral practicals with everyone because it really gives them a better idea of how much you really know. I'm not sure if I'd reccomend doing it on purpose but at least we know its survivable if it needs to be done, which I wasn't so sure about going into the process.

I got an interview at LSUNO. I'm way excited, but NO JINXING! Cross your fingers and toes and whatever else you can cross.

Other than that, sucks to be a Saints fan. BUT- hey, it snowed. I want a rematch in a dome. Any dome.

Other than that, sucks to be a Saints fan. BUT- hey, it snowed. I want a rematch in a dome. Any dome.

Seriously! Sux i took one of my rare days off to drink and watch a game and we were all so bummed by the end of it, but at the beginning of the season so many of us were saying that all we really wanted was to get this far, and we did that so we should be proud of them.

Muchos luck!:luck:

Should I take my med school pre-reqs at Tulane School of Con't Studies or UNO? My grades would probably be better at UNO, but its reputation isn't as good as Tulane (I got my BA at Tulane). I would hope to get into LSU-NO. Thanks!

Should I take my med school pre-reqs at Tulane School of Con't Studies or UNO? My grades would probably be better at UNO, but its reputation isn't as good as Tulane (I got my BA at Tulane). I would hope to get into LSU-NO. Thanks!

Honestly, I don't think it matters because I've heard that contrary to popular belief, UNO is difficult. UNO would probably be cheaper and you already did your BA at Tulane. Schools don't care where you went as long as you do well in your courses, have some good ECs and the mcat of course :) That is only my opinion.

Hey Becky_C,

Would you mind telling me when your application was complete and what your MCAT range was? I have been complete with LSU-NO since mid-November and I still haven't heard anything. It is seriously wracking my nerves, and I have no idea if I should call and ask them about it.

We have many students from UNO, I don't think it would be any disadvantage to attend UNO and it would certainly be kinder to your wallet.

Hey Becky_C,

Would you mind telling me when your application was complete and what your MCAT range was? I have been complete with LSU-NO since mid-November and I still haven't heard anything. It is seriously wracking my nerves, and I have no idea if I should call and ask them about it.

I was completed early September, but then again was notified of completed file in late December (you got me there???). My MCAT was a stellar 29 (do you sense the sarcasm? 8 ps, 9 bs, 12 vr), but I've been out of school a while and I have a masters degree. I called and asked Thursday at 4 pm. Got the interview invite Friday at 1:30. That isn't to say one caused the other, but it's something to think about??? I don't care if it was coincidence or my interview fairy finally got off his a$$ and put in a good word for me!!! =) By interview fairy, I mean totally made up entity resemblng the tooth fairy, sans dental floss.

Hope that helps.

How long was it from the day of anyone's interview did anyone get a letter of acceptance? It can be for both Shreveport and New Orleans. I was just wondering how long the wait might be from when you interview until you got accepted.

How long was it from the day of anyone's interview did anyone get a letter of acceptance? It can be for both Shreveport and New Orleans. I was just wondering how long the wait might be from when you interview until you got accepted.

I don't know about LSU-NO but I heard back about 1-2 weeks after my interview at LSU-S. I think the LSU-S committee meets once every other week. Hope that helps.
Best of luck to you! :thumbup:

on interview day at LSU-NO, we were told that the committee meets once every two weeks on fridays( so every other friday basically) and then the letters go out the following wednesday. they seemed to be pretty right on that target.

so it was basically about 2 weeks..depends on when your interview falls in that every other week cycle though i guess.

Hey Whoyoube- any luck with LSUNO? No luck here. I'm in the same range with Becky_C so who knows? At least you have a safety.

Anyone else get an interview from LSUNO?

nope no luck here tyroneous, but i have had two of my friends interview there recently. i'm in the same range as you guys as well...if i don't hear anything by the beginning of february i'll be pretty upset.

however, i think i really should have been complete alot earlier than mid-november :(

also haven't heard anything from tulane. i wish they would show one of their undergrads some love after putting up with their ridiculous science classes for 4 years!

nope no luck here tyroneous, but i have had two of my friends interview there recently. i'm in the same range as you guys as well...if i don't hear anything by the beginning of february i'll be pretty upset.

however, i think i really should have been complete alot earlier than mid-november :(

also haven't heard anything from tulane. i wish they would show one of their undergrads some love after putting up with their ridiculous science classes for 4 years!

Tyroneus- did you get an interview? Any words of advice, if so??

Whoyoube- hope you get some lovin' soon.