Louisiana residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the acceptance today! I'm heading to the Big Easy this summer!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the acceptance today! I'm heading to the Big Easy this summer!!!

That's awesome! I got the ole "No further action" routine. Really, because I don't mind waiting...It's fun! ha ha ha

Congrats!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when NO will mail their packets of information (about financial aid, housing, etc.)? or has someone already got it?

Hey did anyone else get the phone call today about the Camp Tiger Wine and Cheese Auction and the meet and greet for incoming student at it this Friday? Is anyone considering going?

Yeah i got the call yesterday. It sounds like it might be a good time. I want to go but I'm not sure if i feel like driving back from New Orleans friday night.

Yall should come on friday :) I think its going to be alot of fun, I mean how could it not be, a bunch of socially repressed medstudents and booze to lower their inhibitions. . . and we get to dress up! [disclaimer: I'm one of the people who made all the phone calls :p ]

I was thinking about going I live like 20 min from new orleans but I didnt want to be the only incoming student there. Psipsina, I don't think it was you that called me cause it was definatly a guy. But i thought it was cool that yall called the accepted students made me feel like I was already part of the school.

I think i heard they will be mailing it the first week of march. Not sure though.

I talked to someone in admissions today. She said they were still putting the packets together and it might be a couple of weeks. I don't know about ya'll, but I'm ready to get started!

That's awesome! I got the ole "No further action" routine. Really, because I don't mind waiting...It's fun! ha ha ha

Congrats!!!!

Good luck! I hope you get some good news soon!

Does anybody know if LSU-NO is still handing out interview invites?? The closer it gets to April, the more nervous I get.....

Let's hope they are still inviting students for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about going I live like 20 min from new orleans but I didnt want to be the only incoming student there. Psipsina, I don't think it was you that called me cause it was definatly a guy. But i thought it was cool that yall called the accepted students made me feel like I was already part of the school.

You ARE already part of the school silly :) I know for sure of another incoming student who is coming with a current L2, I'm sure enought of y'all will come that it won't be lame, and worst case scenario you get to hang out with my class, and we rock, so that wouldn't really be that bad of a worst case scenario.

They are definitely still handing out invites...I just got mine a week ago.

I saw about the camp tiger fundraiser on the website. It sounds fun...too bad I haven't interviewed yet.

I had a friend who got the interview invite email this week. She is interviewing the last week of march so they are still sending out stuff.

About the Camp Tiger thing. I decided to go but was wondering how formal it was... like cocktail dress or like dress pants and a cute shirt.

I had a friend who got the interview invite email this week. She is interviewing the last week of march so they are still sending out stuff.

About the Camp Tiger thing. I decided to go but was wondering how formal it was... like cocktail dress or like dress pants and a cute shirt.

they told us "cocktail atire", I'm wearing a black cocktail dress and heels, but I'm sure if you are more comfortable in dressy pants that would be fine too, they told us boys need dress shirts but not necessarily tux attire so not uber formal.

What are the advantages of going to Shreveport over New Orleans, or vice versa? I am trying to make my decision, but am having a hard time. Here is a list of some advantages at both schools:

Shreveport
Smaller Class Size
Have heard anecdotally (SDN) that students seem much more clinically prepared
Much Cheaper Cost of Living
Cheaper Tuition
No Hurricanes
Less Traffic
Good Standardized Patient Lab

New Orleans
Diverse Patient Population
More Specialty Departments (I don't know what you would do if you were interested in Derm or PM&R at Shreveport)
Better Nightlife
Financial Aid seems better
Good Sim Lab
Much More Research

I got the ole "No further action" routine. Really, because I don't mind waiting...It's fun! ha ha ha

i got my no action letter last week as well...so i'm in the same boat.

GeauxMD

I also applied to both. Having gone to undergrad and grad school in north louisiana Shreveport is a totally different culture. So depending on your preferences the culture could be a deciding factor. According to some of the doctors that I know in south louisiana LSU-NO grad are prefered over shreveport grads, I would assume the reverse is true in north louisiana. If you are interested in research then I would say LSU-NO. I think the big decision is what area better fits you and if you stay in louisiana what area you want to practice once your done. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

jennifermov

I know how you feel about wanting to go up to him. I work on the 7th floor and I always see him in the caffeteria with his bow ties. Right before I found out I was very very tempted to go up to him. Good Luck!!!

What are the advantages of going to Shreveport over New Orleans, or vice versa? I am trying to make my decision, but am having a hard time. Here is a list of some advantages at both schools:

Shreveport
Smaller Class Size
Cheaper Tuition
No Hurricanes
Less Traffic

New Orleans
More Specialty Departments (I don't know what you would do if you were interested in Derm or PM&R at Shreveport)
Better Nightlife
Good Sim Lab
Much More Research

Other advantages of LSU-NO:
only in anatomy lab for one semester instead of 2 like shreve
not having attendance at every lecture (at shreve you have to swipe your ID as you enter the lecture hall to prove you were there) the only stuff thats required at LSU-NO is labs and small group stuff like discussions and skills labs (this is a really really big deal if you find that you aren't the type that absorbs and retains in lectures at this volume of info)
more diverse clinical experiences (you can be at charity ER one rotation and then at a private hospital like children's the next, get more of a taste for what you may like best).

I'd also like to point out that there are no shortage of opportunities to learn clinical skills at LSU-NO. As a first years we have the option to volunteer at the ER (and get to do procedures there like suturing etc in addition to H&Ps), the option to be a part of the homeless clinic, a required weeklong preceptorship of our choice, tons of skills labs and cadaver procedures (everything from using your steth to chest tubes and LPs), optional suture clinics and splinting clinics provided by surgery and emergency interest groups . I think alot of it has to do with how much effort you put into this but you would certainly not be at a disadvantage at LSU-NO.

jennifermov

I know how you feel about wanting to go up to him. I work on the 7th floor and I always see him in the caffeteria with his bow ties. Right before I found out I was very very tempted to go up to him. Good Luck!!!

haha...yeah, he is cute with his bow ties. which department do you work in? i

haha...yeah, he is cute with his bow ties. which department do you work in? i am a research associate in the pulmonary medicine department.

in other news (since this is a Louisiana thread)....i just found out that Tulane accepted me! hurray! makes me a lot less grumpy to know that i am going somewhere.... :)

I am also a RA but in Biochemistry. Congrats on Tulane!!!

I think the big decision is what area better fits you and if you stay in louisiana what area you want to practice once your done.

Other advantages of LSU-NO:
only in anatomy lab for one semester instead of 2 like shreve
not having attendance at every lecture

Thanks for the responses. Do ya'll think either one has a better reputation over the other if you leave the state? Also, I had no idea that Shreveport had mandatory attendance, that is horrible. From what I read on this site, many students do much better in school by not going to lecture and learning the material on their own.

(at shreve you have to swipe your ID as you enter the lecture hall to prove you were there)

:rolleyes:

For our class this was for Module I (first semester) only, and they may not even be concerned with it at all anymore...the 2nd half of first year they offered a bonus incentive for a certain % of class attended, but they were not mandatory. 2nd year there is no attendance policy. Also Module 3 which covers both first and 2nd year are mostly optional lectures, with the exception of occasional mandatory lectures that are usually based on the physical exam skills you will be learning for that block.

Thanks for the responses. Do ya'll think either one has a better reputation over the other if you leave the state? Also, I had no idea that Shreveport had mandatory attendance, that is horrible. From what I read on this site, many students do much better in school by not going to lecture and learning the material on their own.

See above. Those who go to class want to be there, and those who want to study on their own dont go. Its all about finding what works best for you.

According to some of the doctors that I know in south louisiana LSU-NO grad are prefered over shreveport grads, I would assume the reverse is true in north louisiana.

Can any confirm this? I haven't heard anything similar to that. Obviously that doesn't mean it isn't true, but I'm curious about it. Seems to me that physicians are in pretty high demand state wide so I'm not sure if employers will have that many options. I have also heard about LSUHSC-S graduates having more clinical experience upon graduating (from a doctor who worked with graduates from both schools during residency).

Shreveport
Smaller Class Size
Cheaper Tuition
No Hurricanes
Less Traffic

New Orleans
Better Nightlife
Good Sim Lab
Much More Research

One factor should determine all this, and that's do you want to live in Shreveport or New Orleans for 4 years. Figure that out and that's where you should go. You'll get just as good an education at Shreveport, LSU-NO, or Tulane (where I go). You will find that where you go for residency is not based as much on where you went to med school, but how you did in med school. So it is all up to YOUR PERFORMANCE on where you go. That said, Tulane might have a "slight" advantage over the other two La schools in terms of name cred across the nation. It's just a more well known shcool nationwide. This, I believe, is a very minute advantage, and will not help you at all if you don't get the scores and grades at Tulane (which again is mainly based on you the student, not the school).

Since it all depends on your performance, you can become a resident in any specialty graduating from any US medical school. LSU-NO and LSU-Shreveport and Tulane are all gonna teach you the same junk. They may do things differently at all, but all that is trivial in comparison to "Would you rather live in Shreveport or New Orleans?"

Can any confirm this? I haven't heard anything similar to that. Obviously that doesn't mean it isn't true, but I'm curious about it. Seems to me that physicians are in pretty high demand state wide so I'm not sure if employers will have that many options. I have also heard about LSUHSC-S graduates having more clinical experience upon graduating (from a doctor who worked with graduates from both schools during residency).

When looking at schools I talked to a few family members that are doctors and a family friend and was told this by all 4. Being that 3 of the 4 are in Emergency Medicine (the other is a surgeon) it may just be like that in EM because of Charity. Or it could be because they are all LSU-NO grads for both med school and residency.

I agree with the physicians being in high demand and that by the time we graduate it will be even worse.

:rolleyes:

For our class this was for Module I (first semester) only, and they may not even be concerned with it at all anymore...the 2nd half of first year they offered a bonus incentive for a certain % of class attended, but they were not mandatory. 2nd year there is no attendance policy. Also Module 3 which covers both first and 2nd year are mostly optional lectures, with the exception of occasional mandatory lectures that are usually based on the physical exam skills you will be learning for that block.

Sorry thats what I was told when I interviewed at shreve so I thought it was accurate. Ultimately I chose LSU-NO cause I love living in NOLA and because I just had a better vibe here than at shreveport. I don't think there is any huge difference in the quality of education between most US allo schools, just some minor differences that might mean something to a specific person to make them chose a specific school.

I have heard a rumor that Shreveport had problems with people passing USMLE Step 1. Has anyone heard this, too? Also, what do you think about the two different curriculum of Shreveport and NO?

I've never heard anything about Shreveport having problems with the boards. All of their match data is on their website. I know people at both LSUs. All sort of agree that a great education is offered at both schools. It's more of a preference of location. It's funny how when acceptances come in, all of a sudden rumors spur up. :) Just follow your gut, and you'll do fine.

Good luck.

Hey I heard that LSU-NO is near Tulane SOM. Do you guys hang out or party with each other or anything?

I don't attend there, but it's like down the street (a block or two). It was like across the street when Charity was open pre-Katrina. Actually when I did research there, I usually ate at Tulane.

I have heard a rumor that Shreveport had problems with people passing USMLE Step 1. Has anyone heard this, too? Also, what do you think about the two different curriculum of Shreveport and NO?

Panda Bear attended LSU-S. He may be able to tell you on the school's Step I pass rate. I recall reading on this site a couple of years ago that about 18 students failed Step I in that particular year. You may want to do a search.

geauxsaints -

saw dr. McC again today....tempting...very tempting... :)

thanks for the congrats...i am happy to have something to celebrate tonight...

I don't think it is an issue any more. They had one class that had some issues. From my interview day, I got the impression that they had an excellent system. After reading more of Panda's posts, the only thing that seems bad is the standardized patient stuff. And it isn't really so much that it is bad, but just kindof worthless.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2100970&postcount=874

Panda Bear attended LSU-S. He may be able to tell you on the school's Step I pass rate. I recall reading on this site a couple of years ago that about 18 students failed Step I in that particular year. You may want to do a search.

That was one year, which is where all the bad wrap comes from. We just had an information session presented by the shreveport brass to get us educated about the usmle. Shreveport's pass rate has been at or above the national average in the 2000's except for the one year mentioned. USMLE has less to do with the school and more to do with the individual. Its not a hard concept to grasp, yet people continue to feel the need to harp on it.

I am almost positive that I am going to matriculate at Shreveport. I was wondering what all the SDN people are doing about housing. I would like to get an apartment or house with one or two guys, but I don't know anyone who is going there this fall. Is anyone here looking for a roommate?

Well, I'll be at Shreveport also. :D Since i've lived with 2 roomates for the last 4 years, i'm gonna just get my own apartment. You might wanna contact the admissions office, because i've heard that they had or knew of some houses or something that students would be interested in.

Good stuff geaux. I'll be up there too, but my situation is similar. I've lived with various roommates for 4 yrs. and I think I'd shoot myself if I had to do that again.

Good stuff geaux. I'll be up there too, but my situation is similar. I've lived with various roommates for 4 yrs. and I think I'd shoot myself if I had to do that again.

That's interesting. I've lived alone for 2 years and I was thinking about living with roomates...hehe, but I doubt I will, I'm sure after one month I will probably want to shoot myself... :)

Hey I heard that LSU-NO is near Tulane SOM. Do you guys hang out or party with each other or anything?

I think for the most part Tulane and LSU-NO med students don't hang out together in terms of partying or clubbing. Exceptions to this would be if you knew someone at the other school before you got into med school, or if you randomly met someone from the other school out one night and then started dating them.

I think your question is mainly "do we all hang out together?", and the answer is no/not really. This is simply b/c you're always around the people in your class, and during first and second year, and most of third and fourth year you just do not see med students from the other school while you're doing med school stuff. You mostly run into these students while your studying at coffee shops around the city or randomly at bars.

There are the occasional LSU/Tulane med school mixers. We were trying to have one annual party around Christmas time, but this one got cancelled last year due to Katrina. I remember the title to our first annual LSU/Tulane party was called "Anastamosis". Clever and corny.

Cool, I didn't know there were so many people on this forum who were planning on going to Shreveport next year. Are most of you planning on just buying the computer or getting a waiver?

Why did LSU-NO make me show them I was signed up for the armed services? Definitely random...

Cool, I didn't know there were so many people on this forum who were planning on going to Shreveport next year. Are most of you planning on just buying the computer or getting a waiver?

I think that generally the Louisiana folks on here are either LSU or south LA folks, cause I had not heard of the site until my 3rd summer of college from a friend of mine from LSU. I don't know of anyone from La Tech that reads this board aside from myself. All that to say, I think a greater percentage of LSU and south LA people head to NO so the NO people have been more represented on the board. As far as computers go, I might give it a shot but I hear its pretty difficult to get your personal comp. allowed. I bought my laptop this summer and I'm not holding out hope that it'll be approved.

I'm sort of torn. I'm a mac user, but I also want a new computer. I'll probably end up buying one from the school. What are you getting for $2500?

I'm sort of torn. I'm a mac user, but I also want a new computer. I'll probably end up buying one from the school. What are you getting for $2500?

I am probably going to get a Tablet. $2500 for a laptop seems obscenely expensive.

I rounded up, but that's still outrageous. They made it out as if they were getting a deal by buying so many. $2500? Are they serious?