Low GPA/522 MCAT Texas advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated recently with a Bio degree in TX. Won't go into much detail other than stats.
cGPA: 2.6
sGPA: 2.4
MCAT: 522 (took it May)
ECs: 1 publication, plenty of shadowing and clinical volunteer hours.

Most of my pre-reqs were Cs, (F in orgo1, retook for a C, D in Bio2, retook for a C) My upper level courses (Cell bio/microbio/Ecophysiology) were all A or B classes. I basically scraped by bare-minimum my first two years before buckling down my last 3 semesters.

I am not planning on applying this cycle. I'm just looking for advice on bringing my GPA up to competitive. Should I retake my prereqs a CC/4yr institution? Take upper-level science classes at a 4yr university? Postbacc? SMP?

I know it may be a few years, but I'm not the same student I was in 2015. I'm hoping my MCAT score is evident of this statement.

I was directed here from reddit and told to flag @Goro for advice.
 
You need to bring both your cGPA and sGPA up to 3.0 before you apply. A DIY post bacc at a local college (community college is fine) with mainly science courses is a good strategy. It may take 2 years. If your GPA is at 3.0 then you have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. The odds for a DO acceptance would be much higher.
 
You need to bring both your cGPA and sGPA up to 3.0 before you apply. A DIY post bacc at a local college (community college is fine) with mainly science courses is a good strategy. It may take 2 years. If your GPA is at 3.0 then you have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. The odds for a DO acceptance would be much higher.
Thank you for this response. I like seeing that there IS hope.