Low GPA/522 MCAT Texas advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I graduated recently with a Bio degree in TX. Won't go into much detail other than stats.
cGPA: 2.6
sGPA: 2.4
MCAT: 522 (took it May)
ECs: 1 publication, plenty of shadowing and clinical volunteer hours.

Most of my pre-reqs were Cs, (F in orgo1, retook for a C, D in Bio2, retook for a C) My upper level courses (Cell bio/microbio/Ecophysiology) were all A or B classes. I basically scraped by bare-minimum my first two years before buckling down my last 3 semesters.

I am not planning on applying this cycle. I'm just looking for advice on bringing my GPA up to competitive. Should I retake my prereqs a CC/4yr institution? Take upper-level science classes at a 4yr university? Postbacc? SMP?

I know it may be a few years, but I'm not the same student I was in 2015. I'm hoping my MCAT score is evident of this statement.

I was directed here from reddit and told to flag @Goro for advice.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to bring both your cGPA and sGPA up to 3.0 before you apply. A DIY post bacc at a local college (community college is fine) with mainly science courses is a good strategy. It may take 2 years. If your GPA is at 3.0 then you have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. The odds for a DO acceptance would be much higher.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to bring both your cGPA and sGPA up to 3.0 before you apply. A DIY post bacc at a local college (community college is fine) with mainly science courses is a good strategy. It may take 2 years. If your GPA is at 3.0 then you have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. The odds for a DO acceptance would be much higher.
Thank you for this response. I like seeing that there IS hope.