Low GPA and worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muffinjar

Reaction score
Hello. I need help because I have an abysmal GPA and I was wondering what my chances are. And what kind of MCAT score I'd need

-Residence: KY
-Race: Middle Eastern
- Biology Major with Chemistry Minor
-GPA: 3.0
-Clinical Volunteering: 150 hours
-Non-clinical Volunteering: 1800 hours
-Work: Investment Broking and Real Estate 3+ Years
-Shadowing Hours: 80 hours General Practitioner / 80 hours Family Physician / 120 hours heart surgeon
Lab: 60 hours in psychology lab
-Awards:
Been awarded medals by the Pope and the Patriarch of the Roman Orthodox Church
Awarded by the Prime Minister of Jordan for community service
Awarded for service to Disabled Veterans
State Science Competition - 2nd Place
-EC:
Involved in Student Government
Treasurer of residents hall
Economics Club
Cofounder of Nonprofit
Head of online men's health web-group
President of Boxing Club in district
-Issues:
Can't get letters of rec from 2 of the doctors I shadowed because they both got arrested.
GPA is horrible
Haven't taken my MCAT to get a baseline
Don't know if my injury will be considered during the application process due to a lot of applications being rejected due to GPA cutoffs

I was wondering what kind of MCAT I would need to assist how poor my GPA is. I believe something like 516 but I'm not certain. My issue is that I had my foot nearly cut off while overseas and couldn't make it back for finals and failed all of the classes for an entire semester. Since it was overseas and I couldn't get my files I wasn't able to retake the courses for a replacement grade and they remained on my transcript. I'm realistic enough to understand I most likely need to apply to mostly DO schools but I was wondering if I had a chance to go to my state's medical school U.K. The average GPA for my state's medical school is 3.78 and the average MCAT 508.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello. I need help because I have an abysmal GPA and I was wondering what my chances are. And what kind of MCAT score I'd need

-Residence: KY
-Race: Middle Eastern
- Biology Major with Chemistry Minor
-GPA: 3.0
-Clinical Volunteering: 150 hours
-Non-clinical Volunteering: 1800 hours
-Work: Investment Broking and Real Estate 3+ Years
-Shadowing Hours: 80 hours General Practitioner / 80 hours Family Physician / 120 hours heart surgeon
Lab: 60 hours in psychology lab
-Awards:
Been awarded medals by the Pope and the Patriarch of the Roman Orthodox Church
Awarded by the Prime Minister of Jordan for community service
Awarded for service to Disabled Veterans
State Science Competition - 2nd Place
-EC:
Involved in Student Government
Treasurer of residents hall
Economics Club
Cofounder of Nonprofit
Head of online men's health web-group
President of Boxing Club in district
-Issues:
Can't get letters of rec from 2 of the doctors I shadowed because they both got arrested.
GPA is horrible
Haven't taken my MCAT to get a baseline
Don't know if my injury will be considered during the application process due to a lot of applications being rejected due to GPA cutoffs

I was wondering what kind of MCAT I would need to assist how poor my GPA is. I believe something like 516 but I'm not certain. My issue is that I had my foot nearly cut off while overseas and couldn't make it back for finals and failed all of the classes for an entire semester. Since it was overseas and I couldn't get my files I wasn't able to retake the courses for a replacement grade and they remained on my transcript. I'm realistic enough to understand I most likely need to apply to mostly DO schools but I was wondering if I had a chance to go to my state's medical school U.K. The average GPA for my state's medical school is 3.78 and the average MCAT 508.
Do you have a recent upward trend in GPA? Consider getting those Fs retroactively withdrawn to help your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a recent upward trend in GPA? Consider getting those Fs retroactively withdrawn to help your GPA.
I do have an upward trend in my GPA; however, I tried to do a retroactive withdrawal but since the injury was overseas they didn't except the circumstances.

My science GPA is a 2.78 and that's the biggest issue. I don't make the cutoff for a lot of schools.
Do not bother to apply until your sGPA is 3.0 or higher. You could do a DIY post bacc at a local college (community college is fine) and take enough undergraduate level science courses to increase your sGPA to 3.0 . Then you could could receive interviews at some DO schools as long as your MCAT is over 500.

Reactions: 1 users
Do not bother to apply until your sGPA is 3.0 or higher. You could do a DIY post bacc at a local college (community college is fine) and take enough undergraduate level science courses to increase your sGPA to 3.0 . Then you could could receive interviews at some DO schools as long as your MCAT is over 500.
So I don't have a chance with a low sGPA even at a DO school? I thought if I was able to explain my circumstances that it would at least give me a chance to get it, or at least at a ISS.

So I don't have a chance with a low sGPA even at a DO school? I thought if I was able to explain my circumstances that it would at least give me a chance to get it, or at least at a ISS.
listen to Faha. Get your science GPA above a 3.0 before applying.

No you don’t have a chance at this point. Here’s a couple of things :1) there is no grade replacement. Even if you retake the classes you failed , those Fs will remain on your AMCAS transcripts and be figured into your cGPA and sGPA. You really need to again look into having those Fs changed to Ws because of extraordinary circumstances. Push it hard this time . It’s definitely worth a try. And if they tell you no, appeal it.
2) With your current sGPA your application will not even clear auto screening. To have any chance at all you have to get your sGPA over 3.0 and have a MCAT of 500 at least. Schools do not have to overlook anything because they have thousands of well prepared applicants.

No you don’t have a chance at this point. Here’s a couple of things :1) there is no grade replacement. Even if you retake the classes you failed , those Fs will remain on your AMCAS transcripts and be figured into your cGPA and sGPA. You really need to again look into having those Fs changed to Ws because of extraordinary circumstances. Push it hard this time . It’s definitely worth a try. And if they tell you no, appeal it.
2) With your current sGPA your application will not even clear auto screening. To have any chance at all you have to get your sGPA over 3.0 and have a MCAT of 500 at least. Schools do not have to overlook anything because they have thousands of well prepared applicants.
So I have to do a postbacc if I can't get the retroactive withdrawal.
My cGPA and sGPA are 3.0 & 2.8, respectively, without the grade replacement. If I can convince them to go through with the retroactive withdrawal, I'll meet the threshold, but that's my biggest issue. They're unwilling to allow me to retroactively withdrawal due to the surgery being done overseas. I'll try and push some more and see if they're willing to accept the circumstances; otherwise, postbacc is the only option. I appreciate the advice.

Thank you for the advice. I'll see if I can push harder for a retroactive withdrawal; otherwise, I'll go through with a postbacc.

So I have to do a postbacc if I can't get the retroactive withdrawal.
My cGPA and sGPA are 3.0 & 2.8, respectively, without the grade replacement. If I can convince them to go through with the retroactive withdrawal, I'll meet the threshold, but that's my biggest issue. They're unwilling to allow me to retroactively withdrawal due to the surgery being done overseas. I'll try and push some more and see if they're willing to accept the circumstances; otherwise, postbacc is the only option. I appreciate the advice.
There is no grade replacement. Every grade that appears on any transcript is counted in your GPA. That’s why it is so important to try really hard to get those Fs changed to Ws. But understand even if you manage to get your sGPA up to a 3.0 it does not guarantee an acceptance at any med school. Your chances at MD schools are almost zero. Your chances at DO schools are a little better.

Last edited:
Can you get a USA physician to corroborate your foot injury/history? At least in that sense you aren’t “lying” about your medical history.