Quantcast

DO Low gpa, average MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cosmicv1bes

New Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2014
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
Hi, haven't posted in a very long time; I'll cut to the chase:

I have an unremarkable 501 MCAT and a low gpa/sgpa of 2.9/3.1 that I blame on a stressful lifestyle, which I've had throughout my undergrad for various reasons. My life has changed a lot in a short amount of time and I believe it's relatively stable now, enabling me to focus more on my studies. I am currently a senior and am scheduled to graduate this December.

Some possible courses of action for me:

A. Retake courses I earned "C's" for the next year. Retake the MCAT for a higher score within the next year (aim for at least a 505), then apply for DO schools fall 2017. Do research during the gap year. This would boost my gpa/sgpa to 3.3/3.4 assuming I ace these classes. Most likely what I will do.

B. Same as plan A, but instead of retaking classes, do an SMP (I have applied and am waiting on responses), assuming I get into one for this fall. I would apply next fall to DO schools, after completing the SMP.

C. A mixture of option A and B. Retake classes this year, apply to SMP's next spring, and apply to medical schools following the SMP. Not a fan of this because it will take an extra year, and add another $50,000 of debt, but I'll do whatever it takes.

D. Go to the Caribbean (last resort)

I realize that I need to fix the main problem (my school performance) before worrying about extracurriculars but I will list what I have so far: ER scribe (1000 hours), ecotoxicology research (2 years, publication or two in the next year), orthopedic surgeon shadowing (15 hours), volunteering at the ED (~60 hours), executive chair for a nonprofit organization that promotes underprivileged communities in south Asia through my school. I am an ORM if that matters.

I'm mostly torn between option A and option B. I like option A because it's much cheaper, but I like option B because it would give me a chance to prove myself by doing well in an SMP, which would indicate that I'd be successful in medical school. My stats are incredibly low, however, which is why I am also considering option D. I also do not have a preference between MD and DO, but at this point I've given up on getting into any MD school.

Very sorry for the long post, and I'd appreciate any insight any of you would have!
 

Goro

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Messages
69,580
Reaction score
108,518
You're reject bait at my school, so it's time for GPA repair. The MCAT is low but not lethal.
Retake all F/D/C science coursework and then apply.

Don't even think about the Carib diploma mills; you're the mark their business plans are based upon.



Hi, haven't posted in a very long time; I'll cut to the chase:

I have an unremarkable 501 MCAT and a low gpa/sgpa of 2.9/3.1 that I blame on a stressful lifestyle, which I've had throughout my undergrad for various reasons. My life has changed a lot in a short amount of time and I believe it's relatively stable now, enabling me to focus more on my studies. I am currently a senior and am scheduled to graduate this December.

Some possible courses of action for me:

A. Retake courses I earned "C's" for the next year. Retake the MCAT for a higher score within the next year (aim for at least a 505), then apply for DO schools fall 2017. Do research during the gap year. This would boost my gpa/sgpa to 3.3/3.4 assuming I ace these classes. Most likely what I will do.

B. Same as plan A, but instead of retaking classes, do an SMP (I have applied and am waiting on responses), assuming I get into one for this fall. I would apply next fall to DO schools, after completing the SMP.

C. A mixture of option A and B. Retake classes this year, apply to SMP's next spring, and apply to medical schools following the SMP. Not a fan of this because it will take an extra year, and add another $50,000 of debt, but I'll do whatever it takes.

D. Go to the Caribbean (last resort)

I realize that I need to fix the main problem (my school performance) before worrying about extracurriculars but I will list what I have so far: ER scribe (1000 hours), ecotoxicology research (2 years, publication or two in the next year), orthopedic surgeon shadowing (15 hours), volunteering at the ED (~60 hours), executive chair for a nonprofit organization that promotes underprivileged communities in south Asia through my school. I am an ORM if that matters.

I'm mostly torn between option A and option B. I like option A because it's much cheaper, but I like option B because it would give me a chance to prove myself by doing well in an SMP, which would indicate that I'd be successful in medical school. My stats are incredibly low, however, which is why I am also considering option D. I also do not have a preference between MD and DO, but at this point I've given up on getting into any MD school.

Very sorry for the long post, and I'd appreciate any insight any of you would have!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users
A

AnatomyGrey12

Plan A without the MCAT retake, get those GPAs above 3.3-3.4 and you should have success with a broad app. After that if you apply and don't get in then retake the MCAT.
 

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2015
Messages
421
Reaction score
88
Thank you for the feedback!
I'm sure you've heard this, but be very wary and careful of Caribbean schools. I have a friend who is an M.D. Internal Medicine doctor and he came through Africa to the Caribbean's then onto the US. But, keep in mind; this doesn't always happen. Good luck.
 
Top