MD Low GPA, high MCAT - School options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ER95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what schools I should look at given the following stats:

cGPA - 3.3
sGPA - 3.2
MCAT - 520 (131/130/132/127)

I've got a little over 1000 hours of clinical experience as an ER tech, EMT experience, research experience, and all that jazz.

Even though the GPAs are really low, they speak more to my poor freshman and average sophomore years than anything. My junior and senior years were ~ 3.65 - 3.7 for both cGPA and sGPA, and I'm doing a post bac this year to continue the upward trend. I'm a NYS resident, so I'm definitely applying to SUNY schools, but I'm not sure where else to look. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You could try these schools with your stats:
Albany
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
St.Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Your high MCAT may attract attention at some schools but it is difficult to predict where so you will need to apply broadly.

@Goro also has list of schools that reward reinvention, so he might be able to help!

Members don't see this ad :)
To this list, add:
BU
your state schools
any DO school
U Miami
EVMS
Loyola
Vandy
Columbia
Case
Pitt
Mayo
UCSF
Tufts
Dartmouth

You could try these schools with your stats:
Albany
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
St.Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Your high MCAT may attract attention at some schools but it is difficult to predict where so you will need to apply broadly.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll start looking into these schools this weekend. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated