This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

girl8996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Super stressed right now. Not sure what to do. Counselor is not good at giving advice. Need someone to help me out and show me a path to take. I am currently a senior at MSU. Right now I am clueless of what I should do. Is it too late to apply for post bac programs? Or should I do masters? Or should i do accelerated nursing and then apply to DO schools? I am trying not to give up.
My STATS:
cGPA: 2.8
sGPA: 2.75
MCAT: 480, 483
CNA hours: 500
Shadowing DO hours: 30
Volunteer hours: 100

Members don't see this ad.

Did you have an upward trend in your grades or have they always been on the lower end? How long/hard did you study for the MCAT? Are you a racial minority (URM)? You're a senior, do you think you can pull a 4.0 this semester and next semester?

Reactions: 1 user
MCAT is biggest limiting factor. You need to break at least 500 before thinking about applying. Podiatry would be worth looking in to

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m going to be blunt, you need to find a plan B. Nursing is a great career and I suggest you look into that if you want to stay in the medical field.

Reactions: 10 users
Why are you confused? Your grades indicated you wouldn't do well on the MCAT then you took it twice and did poorly on it. I am not trying to be belittling just understand why you are confused. I would look into podiatry or nursing. I think the 480s are even low for podiatry but they might not care about more attempts on the MCAT. Unfortunately I believe this ship has sailed for medicine especially with no grade replacement and 2 really bad MCATs.

Reactions: 5 users
I suggest masters/post-bac and earn a grad GPA >3.5. Not really sure what accelerated nursing is. Besides that, you've taken the MCAT twice, with little improvement, and significantly low scores. I suggest changing your study habits and take AAMC practice exams until you score >505 so you have some indication as to where you're at and so you can take the exam with some idea of where you'll score. Do not take the exam until you are 100% ready.

I suggest masters/post-bac and earn a grad GPA >3.5. Not really sure what accelerated nursing is. Besides that, you've taken the MCAT twice, with little improvement, and significantly low scores. I suggest changing your study habits and take AAMC practice exams until you score >505 so you have some indication as to where you're at and so you can take the exam with some idea of where you'll score. Do not take the exam until you are 100% ready.

Why encourage them down this path with zero evidence that they are capable. It takes years and is very expensive when they could be working towards a realistic goal. I understand if they got a 2.75 gps but a 505+ mcat or a 4.0 engineering degree with a 49X mcat. But they literally under performed on both ends leading ADCOMs to believe that they are not capable. Getting into medschool isn't the end game, its getting through it. My classmates that I am friends with who struggled and/or failed all had low MCATs. There is still statistical data behind the validity of this test.

Reactions: 7 users
Possibly BSN to NP route?

I am usually on the front of giving "feel good" advice, but I will have to agree with many here that medicine may simply not be for you. Whatever the reason is, a lot of time passed between diagnosing your issues to implementing them. I mean if you are a senior, this trend didnt just happen over night. Testing anxiety? Sure but a <3.0 GPA suggests that it could be coupled with bad study habits and other factors. I am sure you want this to happen and I feel for you but at times you simply are meant to do something else. Not everyone will become a physician, if that was the case everyone would be doing it.

THere are other alternates you can consider. Podiatry is one option but even that is getting competitive, off the top of my head, you need around a 3.0 and a 490 MCAT to be considered. I hate to say it this way, but at times I feel you can guess your way to a higher score and break a 490.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Super stressed right now. Not sure what to do. Counselor is not good at giving advice. Need someone to help me out and show me a path to take. I am currently a senior at MSU. Right now I am clueless of what I should do. Is it too late to apply for post bac programs? Or should I do masters? Or should i do accelerated nursing and then apply to DO schools? I am trying not to give up.
My STATS:
Med school is out right now. You need to figure out what has hindered your learning.

It is not too late to apply to SMPs, but first, read everything in the Non-trad forum by the wise DrMidlife about reinvention.

You also need to retake the MCAT are score at least 500+

And read this:

My classmates that I am friends with who struggled and/or failed all had low MCATs. There is still statistical data behind the validity of this test.

It amazes me how many people like to imagine this to be false. There actually is a reason it is required by medical schools...

Reactions: 2 users
My STATS:
You really need to look at Plan B alternatives in health care as many people have already suggested. As it stands today, you would not even have a shot at getting into the PA program at the University of Colorado. The average GPA is 3.7 for their entering class, and 1604 people applied for 44 slots. Health Care is very competitive. Perhaps nursing or podiatry is a good alternative for you to explore.

Admissions Statistics | Child Health Associate - Physician Assistant Program | University of Colorado Denver

Please explain why you took the exam when I am sure you were getting well below 500 on practice exams (that is, if you even took practice fls).

You made a huge mistake taking the exam twice when you were not ready.
Your only choice is to put everything else aside, social media, friends, family. Make mcat studying your top priority for 5 months. Get a 510+ and do a postbacc/smp and apply for a DO medical school.

I was getting 508 on my practice full lengths and postponed because I know I can do better. I have been scoring at my goal now that I made MCAT my top priority and have taken 15 practice full lengths and plan on going through many more before my exam.

I am not going to sit here and tell you to give up. But you really need to work much harder than you did when you took your two tests. If you did study hard, you need to change your study habits right now and focus on practice problems and full lengths. If you really want to become a doctor, you can do it. It is in your hands. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and change your study habits ASAP if you are serious about this career path.

Members don't see this ad :)
My STATS:
Is it possible? yes, but it will take 2-3 more years of a lot of work on MCAT and GPA repair.

Only you know if you can do it or have time and money for it.

Like most said, have a plan B

I would really consider nursing and do NP if you would like.

My STATS:

I'm sorry to be blunt OP but both your grades and MCAT scores are abysmal. I couldn't recommend a formal post bacc at this time. Absolutely do not do accelerated BSN to get into DO schools.

I just gave similar advice to a friend IRL who was in a similar position. I know it's not what you want to hear but accepting this message will allow you to look into other paths. Nursing and pod are great options as others have said. Frankly you'll need to improve your grades for these programs also.

good luck with whatever you decide OP.

Nursing schools require Bs as passing grades.
Graduating school =/= being boarded as a nurse, and many graduate nurses are unable to get jobs due to multiple boards failures.

I don't say this to discourage OP, but I don't want you to go out of the frying pan and into the fire. Many SDNers have little idea about nursing education, and seem to think of it as a fallback for people who cannot cut it in medical school. Not wise.

Many SDNers have little idea about nursing education, and seem to think of it as a fallback for people who cannot cut it in medical school. Not wise.

It is most definitely a fallback, sorry but that simply is the truth. And no, most nursing programs do not require Bs as passing grades.

Reactions: 6 users
It is most definitely a fallback, sorry but that simply is the truth. And no, most nursing programs do not require Bs as passing grades.

Source?

Any anecdotes of students with OPs MCAT acing an NCLEX?

My STATS:
I think it's important to take some time to understand why your grades have been low. Are you REALLY passionate about medicine? If so, what went wrong during your classes? There are many people who have gone on to medical school who took a few years off to do a post bac/SMP and improved their mcat scores. Your mcat scores show you weren't ready when you gave it. Are you having time management problems? Struggling in certain classes because of personal problems? Once you figure out your weaknesses (and I'm not talking about just grades), make a plan on how to come back. Why not pursue nursing and see if medicine is for you?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Graduating school =/= being boarded as a nurse, and many graduate nurses are unable to get jobs due to multiple boards failures.

I don't say this to discourage OP, but I don't want you to go out of the frying pan and into the fire. Many SDNers have little idea about nursing education, and seem to think of it as a fallback for people who cannot cut it in medical school. Not wise.

Nursing school at my undergrad required Cs. The NP program requires Bs as passing scores but was uncompetitive in regards to gaining acceptance.

Nursing school at my undergrad required Cs. The NP program requires Bs as passing scores but was uncompetitive in regards to gaining acceptance.

My mistake, then. Apparently I went to the wrong schools and put myself through undue stress! :bang:

I’m sure it only made you a better Nurse!
EH, you don't really learn how to be a nurse until after school. (My experience)

Anyway, apologies for the hijack, I just don't want OP to try something as a "fallback" and then to learn that it isn't without its challenges!

my sister is a nurse and I have several friends and relatives who are nurses and all of them said that anything below 80% is fail even if 79.9

I have several family members who are nurses and I respect that profession and its role in healthcare enormously. You'll notice I suggested to OP that if they want to do nursing or pod they'd need to improve their grades for this also. Med school is out due to those MCAT scores, thats the difference.

your past posts say you had a 500 MCAT by feb 2017. was this a practice estimate?

did you take the MCAT twice in the last 9 months with those scores?

i also see you went from a 3 -3.1 to 2.8 from junior to senior year. this is not good for you either. listen to goros advice

Source?

Any anecdotes of students with OPs MCAT acing an NCLEX?

Being married to one her whole way through school and into practice. She went to what is arguably the top BSN program on our state and passing was a C. I also worked with dozens of nurses in providing patient care for years in a setting where a number of different programs would send their students to do clinicals and not a single program in our state has a cutoff at a B. In addition, the NCLEX can’t be compared to the MCAT, if a high school dropout with their GED in an 18 month RN program can pass the NCLEX then so can OP. I feel very qualified to make the statement that nursing is absolutely a good fall back plan for someone who isn’t going to make it to medical school.

my sister is a nurse and I have several friends and relatives who are nurses and all of them said that anything below 80% is fail even if 79.9

Most likely program dependent, and a cutoff that is likely in the minority.

Now I want to be clear that I am in no way bashing nurses. I have dozens of close friends from my job before medical school who are nurses in addition to my own wife. It is a great career and one that is essential for society. My point is that due to the plethora of RN and BSN programs out there it is a great fall back option for someone in OP’s situation.

Reactions: 4 users
I get what you're saying, and I want to drop this as I don't actually think we disagree. My only concern was that OPs MCAT history shows that an NCLEX may be a wall for them.

In addition, the NCLEX can’t be compared to the MCAT, if a high school dropout with their GED in an 18 month RN program can pass the NCLEX then so can OP.

A kid with a GED can sit for the 1.5 years of prerequisites, THEN try for a fast track RN-ADN (typically only after a HESI or TEAS V). The track almost never involves gen-eds, so you'll find at least 3 years of time invested before the average ADN can be minted.

...And then with an ADN, you are limited on which states you can practice in....

Such a mess. Nursing education is very convoluted, and that's where a lot of the variance in bedside staff quality comes from.

LOL

Two different caliber students. No comparison. I helped put an ex gf through a bsn program at a state school in California that required 75% in all classes. Yes they have super busy clinical year courseload but not nearly on the difficulty as med school

But alas the school had a 3.9 gpa in prereqs and teas >90% to gain entrance. Nursing schools can be quite competitive themselves and are great careers

LOL

Two different caliber students. No comparison. I helped put an ex gf through a bsn program at a state school in California that required 75% in all classes. Yes they have super busy clinical year courseload but not nearly on the difficulty as med school

Well of course it's a different world of difficulty... We are literally talking about an AS or BS degree vs. one of the more challenging doctorates! :nod:

That doesn't mean that nursing is easy or that OP will necessarily breeze through, though. My point is that if OP is struggling so much we cannot simply tell them that RN school is some sure thing to breeze through.

I do take avarice at your assumption that the caliber of student is necessarily different, though... As someone who's been accepted to medical school and is just the "caliber" of a nurse. LOL

I do take avarice at your assumption that the caliber of student is necessarily different, though... As someone who's been accepted to medical school and is just the "caliber" of a nurse. LOL

If you really think that there isn’t a difference in the caliber of student then I hope your school doesn’t drug test. Any medical student could easily pass through a nursing program, the same cannot be said the other way around.

My point is that if OP is struggling so much we cannot simply tell them that RN school is some sure thing to breeze through.

Who said that? No one. However someone in OPs situation could very likely pass and get their RN. No one ever said it would be a breeze.

Well of course it's a different world of difficulty... We are literally talking about an AS or BS degree vs. one of the more challenging doctorates! :nod:

That doesn't mean that nursing is easy or that OP will necessarily breeze through, though. My point is that if OP is struggling so much we cannot simply tell them that RN school is some sure thing to breeze through.

You are correct I used the wrong terms. Average nursing student vs average medical student. Outliers exists. There are definitely some extremely intelligent nurses in my class and the hospitals. Med school just requires more discipline but like you said if they don’t have the discipline to get higher than a 2.75 in undergrad how can we claim they will have it to get through a busy nursing program.

Most likely program dependent, and a cutoff that is likely in the minority.
I don't want to generalize or anything of course, but my sister's nursing program was a furnace. They started with 32 students and ended up with only 8. It felt like instructors tried to make students fail. There were times when teachers humiliated and yelled at students right in the class in front of everybody. Some people quit just because they could not handle it anymore. My sister was almost kicked out at some point as well. She still maintained 3.8, got into BSN and now she is NP program. I heard some other RN programs that were similar to this one. Conclusion, expect anything.

I don't want to generalize or anything of course, but my sister's nursing program was a furnace. They started with 32 students and ended up with only 8. It felt like instructors tried to make students fail. There were times when teachers humiliated and yelled at students right in the class in front of everybody. Some people quit just because they could not handle it anymore. My sister was almost kicked out at some point as well. She still maintained 3.8, got into BSN and now she is NP program. I heard some other RN programs that were similar to this one. Conclusion, expect anything.

That.....isn’t normal...

Yep, I think like many things it's gonna' be super variable based on the school. I could tell *a lot* of stories to this effect, but I've already derailed this thread enough. XD

This is nothing at all like any of the 3 nursing programs in my area. Including the one that was at my undergrad institution.

Your main issue is that you're not studying enough.

Having around 5th percentile MCATs means you just gotta study more.

If you're passionate about medicine than you have to work a lot harder.

Here is what I would do if I were you:

1. Take practice MCATs until you're scoring 500+
2. Then fix your GPA (SMP, Masters, post-bac., etc.)
3. Get great LORs, shadow more, volunteer more, try to incorporate research.
4. Apply early and broad.

Yes do it in THAT order imo.

Unless you can prove you have enough knowledge to score well on the MCAT, I wouldn't take any steps forward until you can cover that base.

Unless you can prove you have enough knowledge to score well on the MCAT, I wouldn't take any steps forward until you can cover that base.

They are looking at multiple years of repair if they are chasing medical school so i would say they need to first get As in core classes before they even think about the MCAT. They have some serious content deficiencies that need to be addressed before the MCAT even becomes an option.

Nursing isn't as hard as medical school but as someone who taught hundreds of pre-nursing students (and several pre-meds), I will say some of them would have made tremendous physicians.

However, nurses generally have different goals than physicians. They don't want a life consumed with the hardships and sacrifice a physician inevitably has to experience.

I have no doubt medical school students on average would tear apart nurses on an academic level. You don't see nurses in my chemistry lab doing research, that's for sure.

The university I taught at also had one of the most competitive nursing programs in the country.

Last edited:
They are looking at multiple years of repair if they are chasing medical school so i would say they need to first get As in core classes before they even think about the MCAT. They have some serious content deficiencies that need to be addressed before the MCAT even becomes an option.

So, right now we are looking at someone with a huge issue with scoring well on the MCAT.

I'm afraid this person would spend money, time, and resources improving their GPA without ever knowing IF they can do well on the MCAT fast enough (if they emply correct studying methods then of course, but I'd definitely be scoring 500+ on practice MCATs before spending money on improving grades).

So, right now we are looking at someone with a huge issue with scoring well on the MCAT.

I'm afraid this person would spend money, time, and resources improving their GPA without ever knowing IF they can do well on the MCAT fast enough (if they emply correct studying methods then of course, but I'd definitely be scoring 500+ on practice MCATs before spending money on improving grades).

I don't agree. There is a clear deficiency in pre-requisite knowledge. The MCAT is only valid for 3 years. It doesn't make much sense to study and take the MCAT before correcting a sub 3.0 GPA. It's going to take OP at least 2 years of GPA repair assuming he/she completed 120+ credits in their degree.

Edit:
OP will most likely need to do a SMP on top of a post-bac.

I don't agree. There is a clear deficiency in pre-requisite knowledge. The MCAT is only valid for 3 years. It doesn't make much sense to study and take the MCAT before correcting a sub 3.0 GPA. It's going to take OP at least 2 years of GPA repair assuming he/she completed 120+ credits in their degree.

Edit:
OP will most likely need to do a SMP on top of a post-bac.

The MCAT material is broad, but not difficult.

Some people with a 4.0 GPA have a hard time ever breaking 490.

My point is that one with two MCAT scores around 5th percentile should make sure they can score 500+. I just think its a waste for them to attempt to increase their grades while banking they can increase a 5th percentile score to 50th+ percentile.

By telling this person to take more courses in post-bac., etc. is saying you believe they can easily score 50th percentile at some point.

The OP needs to to prove to herself that she is able to do this before blowing time, money, resources, etc. into things that may not help this issue.

I think the OP can score a 500+, but I think the OP needs to even reassure themselves they accomplish this feat first.

Last edited:
The MCAT material is broad, but not difficult.

Some people with a 4.0 GPA have a hard time ever braking 490.

My point is that one with two MCAT scores around 5th percentile should make sure they can score 500+. I just think its a waste for them to attempt to increase their grades while banking they can increase a 5th percentile score to 50th+ percentile.

By telling this person to take more courses in post-bac., etc. is saying you believe they can easily score 50th percentile at some point.

The OP needs to to prove to herself that she is able to do this before blowing time, money, resources, etc. into things that may not help this issue.

I think the OP can score a 500+, but I think the OP needs to even reassure themselves they accomplish this feat first.

I get your point but it still doesn't make sense to embark on a career deciding exam when OP has not shown sustained academic excellence (maintaining lots of A's).
OP must first address and correct whatever issues that led to his/her sub 3.0 GPA (strengthening his/her studying skills/time management) before taking the MCAT. My post did not imply that they can easily score 50th percentile at some point. So I'm not sure where you got that from.
OP needs to raise his/her GPAs to at least a 3.0 to avoid cutoffs. That to me is not a waste of time and money.

I get your point but it still doesn't make sense to embark on a career deciding exam when OP has not shown sustained academic excellence (maintaining lots of A's).
OP must first address and correct whatever issues that led to his/her sub 3.0 GPA (strengthening his/her studying skills/time management) before taking the MCAT. My post did not imply that they can easily score 50th percentile at some point. So I'm not sure where you got that from.
OP needs to raise his/her GPAs to at least a 3.0 to avoid cutoffs. That to me is not a waste of time and money.

The OP needs post-bac. work.

I agree. Thats not a waste of money in itself, thats NEEDED.

However, if the OP can't get above 5th percentile, then fixing MCAT should be first.

If OP even had 15-20th percentile MCAT, then thats a sign they can get it up over 50th with a lot more studying (490-494). Then I would agree that SMP or post-bac. work while improving the MCAT is fine.

However the OP had multiple scores in the 480's. Thats around 5th percentile.

Telling the OP to just spend 50k on SMP+post-bac. work and several years without proving they can score higher than 5th percentile on the MCAT is a huge mistake.

They should be getting 50th + percentile on practice tests before doing anything imo.

Brah...we don't know how long it will take for OP to raise his/her GPA above the cutoffs and the MCAT is has an expiration time of 3 years. Do you get what I am saying? I ask because you're not getting it.
Doing a Post-bac first and maintaining A's will instill good habits in OP which will have a noticeable effect on his/her studies with the MCAT.

The MCAT material is broad, but not difficult

I’m sorry, but unless you got a 520+ I’m not sure you are qualified to make such a ridiculous statement.

However, if the OP can't get above 5th percentile, then fixing MCAT should be first.

No, the MCAT is the last domino to fall. If someone is scoring below a 500 they have content deficiencies.

However the OP had multiple scores in the 480's. Thats around 5th percentile.

Yes, because they clearly have very serious content deficiencies.

Telling the OP to just spend 50k on SMP+post-bac. work and several years without proving they can score higher than 5th percentile on the MCAT is a huge mistake.

That’s why it’s time for plan B. But someone will never score well on the MCAT without knowing the material.

Brah...we don't know how long it will take for OP to raise his/her GPA above the cutoffs and the MCAT is has an expiration time of 3 years. Do you get what I am saying? I ask because you're not getting it.
Doing a Post-bac first and maintaining A's will instill good habits in OP which will have a noticeable effect on his/her studies with the MCAT.

brah.......I said 50th percentile on practice tests, not the actual test.

That way, the OP knows that can at least score "ok" before embarking on post-bac. + SMP using 50k + several years.

OP can't even get into SMPs with those stats, generally. Here is the exact order of events that should take place:

1. Make sure they can score 500+ on practice MCAT tests
2. Take post-bac. courses that SMP programs may need to have.
3. Take the MCAT again, because most SMP have minimum MCAT scores in the 490's
4. Take the SMP program with their MCAT score. If it was good enough for SMP, hopefully they don't have to retake another MCAT for actual med. school
5. Make sure LORs are good, and EC's are golden.
6. Apply early and broadly.

I’m sorry, but unless you got a 520+ I’m not sure you are qualified to make such a ridiculous statement.

No, the MCAT is the last domino to fall. If someone is scoring below a 500 they have content deficiencies.

Yes, because they clearly have very serious content deficiencies.

That’s why it’s time for plan B. But someone will never score well on the MCAT without knowing the material.

No, the MCAT isn't always the last domino. The OP almost needs an SMP, and to get into an SMP, you need an MCAT score in 490's generally. OP might need to retake MCAT after SMP again if they still only score in low 490's, however.

brah.......I said 50th percentile on practice tests, not the actual test.

That way, the OP knows that can at least score "ok" before embarking on post-bac. + SMP using 50k + several years.

OP can't even get into SMPs with those stats, generally. Here is the exact order of events that should take place:

1. Make sure they can score 500+ on practice MCAT tests
2. Take post-bac. courses that SMP programs may need to have.
3. Take the MCAT again, because most SMP have minimum MCAT scores in the 490's
4. Take the SMP program with their MCAT score. If it was good enough for SMP, hopefully they don't have to retake another MCAT for actual med. school
5. Make sure LORs are good, and EC's are golden.
6. Apply early and broadly.
LOL you're confused man. I agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.