Low GPA, military engineer, looking for a way forward...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiny.tinsa13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
BLUF: Low GPA, considering grad school or DIY post-bacc at CC...

I'm a 27 y/o female, military vet (currently deployed, again) trying to apply to medical school in a few years. I'm a USMA grad with a low GPA (2.9) in Mechanical Engineering; planning to take my P.E. in April. I'm transitioning out within the next year (Jul/Aug timeframe), and moving to Arizona with hubby.

I've looked at applying to a Nanoscience (with a Biomaterials concentration) grad program at ASU because it looks like a really awesome segue between my engineer-past and potential medical future, and having spoken with admissions there, I can go part-time and take additional undergrad science classes to finish my pre-reqs/aid my poor GPA. (I've remember reading a post by "Goro" who advised that showing improvement is more important than actually "fixing" or raising a GPA...?)

Second option is to do a DIY post-bacc at local community college. Not as exciting, but it seems like it would get the job done and enable me to take more undergrad science classes, though without the research experience of the Nano program.

My heart says Nano, but I don't want to try to bite off more than I can chew since my ultimate goal is medicine...

Any thoughts or advice are much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 27 y/o female, military vet (currently deployed, again) trying to apply to medical school in a few years. I'm a USMA grad with a low GPA (2.9) in Mechanical Engineering; planning to take my P.E. in April. I'm transitioning out within the next year (Jul/Aug timeframe), and moving to Arizona with hubby.

I've looked at applying to a Nanoscience (with a Biomaterials concentration) grad program at ASU because it looks like a really awesome segue between my engineer-past and potential medical future, and having spoken with admissions there, I can go part-time and take additional undergrad science classes to finish my pre-reqs/aid my poor GPA. (I've remember reading a post by "Goro" who advised that showing improvement is more important than actually "fixing" or raising a GPA...?)

Second option is to do a DIY post-bacc at local community college. Not as exciting, but it seems like it would get the job done and enable me to take more undergrad science classes, though without the research experience of the Nano program.

My heart says Nano, but I don't want to try to bite off more than I can chew since my ultimate goal is medicine...

Just an FYI, a post-bacc will contribute to your undergrad GPA on AMCAS (hopefully to raise it above that 3.0 threshold). A graduate program GPA goes on a separate line on the GPA AMCAS grid, so your undergrad GPA would not change with these classes. However, I have learned from my life experience to do things that you love because life is too short to just "go through the motions." you seem unopposed to the DIY postbacc (as i was--hence why i took an SMP and lovedddd it), and really excited about the grad program. If med school is the goal, most schools do not take tradition master's programs as seriously as an SMP, which is essentially the courses you'd take in med school--so, if you do well here, you'll prob be fine in the first 2 years of med school.

TL;DR-- do what you want, do well in whatever you choose and things will hopefully work out for the best! Good luck ~

I was in a similar situation as you getting ready to prepare for medical school. Military vet with similar GPA in EE. I was a medic, though, so had a bit more clinical medical experience.
I opted for the DIY post-bacc at a university through a non-degree program. If you are really interested in Nanoscience then it may be a reasonable path but there may be added time and energy for another degree. Keep in mind that you'll also need to shore up medical experience through shadowing or other activities, as well as have some volunteering time under your belt (I'd recommend checking out Team Rubicon as a veteran). You'll also need time to prepare for MCAT. Overall, I'd lean towards just getting the job done, but the research experience may be quite valuable as many of the schools do prefer some research under your belt (I was able to manage without research experience, though).
Probably not very helpful, but in the end you'll have to balance the picture you want to paint of yourself for your applications with your interests along with the time and money.

Members don't see this ad :)

Go read my post on premed reinvention.

And many thanks to you for your service to our country

It is a good point mentioned previously that graduate classes do not count towards the undergrad GPA on the AMCAS and so this would not improve your GPA. You do need to increase your undergrad GPA, and I personally believe that being able to say you earned the 2.9 while working full-time in the military and through deployments will help towards forgiveness if you are able to increase it in the next year or two as you intend. A local community college will not hold as much weight as a 4-year institution. Also, if you're at all in the boat I was when I separated from the military, you may need to take a great deal of pre-requisite labs still to enter med school and an undergrad post-bacc would provide these (I had to take about 2 years' worth due to the particular order of them).

Let's also not forget the cost of the grad school program- the GI Bill is a sweet deal when you graduate and you will have any and all schools vying to get you to come to them for the guaranteed revenue you'll bring. But if you truly want to go to med school, you'd be wise to save as many months of your GI Bill as possible - it is worth so much more in med school than it is in undergrad or for an off the beaten path grad degree. I vote to devote all of your time and energy towards raising your undergrad GPA with post-bacc classes from a 4-year institution. Don't forget the simultaneous shadowing and volunteering you'll need. If you really want research, talk to faculty at said institution or contact your local hospital for opportunities.

I'm a female vet about to graduate med school, feel free to DM if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Thank you all for your responses!

@Goro, I have read your reinvention post! And with that in mind I was thinking that I would take the 3 prerequisites I have remaining one semester at a time, but embedded with the Nano program (part-time) so that I'm not just taking one class per semester? Or I suppose I could take Orgo 1 and Biochem during the same semester...? Would you still recommend the nondegree DIY post-bacc taking additional undergraduate courses, or re-taking some of the science classes I did poorly in?

Apologies if this is confusing, I'm a bit lost myself lol! Thanks again everyone!

Thank you all for your responses!

@Goro, I have read your reinvention post! And with that in mind I was thinking that I would take the 3 prerequisites I have remaining one semester at a time, but embedded with the Nano program (part-time) so that I'm not just taking one class per semester? Or I suppose I could take Orgo 1 and Biochem during the same semester...? Would you still recommend the nondegree DIY post-bacc taking additional undergraduate courses, or re-taking some of the science classes I did poorly in?

Apologies if this is confusing, I'm a bit lost myself lol! Thanks again everyone!
Normally, we don't recommend retaking any coursework with a C grade or higher, but if you need those for MCAT, then retakes are a good thing.

Your plan with the Nano program sounds good.

I don't suggest taking Orgo and Biochem at the same time...try Orgo and some other Bio course, like Cell Bio or Genetics.

Sounds (almost) like I have a plan, then... Thank you all so much for your advice!!