Low gpa, take MCAT or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoeeeyyyyyy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am going to be a third year student. My overall gpa is only 2.8 and I failed two math classes (I have to repeat in next summer). I know my grade is too bad and I even have trouble in applying pa program. But anyone think I should still try MCAT and see what’s my grade will be? I am also thinking about take 5th year. Anyone can give me some advice? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am going to be a third year student. My overall gpa is only 2.8 and I failed two math classes (I have to repeat in next summer). I know my grade is too bad and I even have trouble in applying pa program. But anyone think I should still try MCAT and see what’s my grade will be? I am also thinking about take 5th year. Anyone can give me some advice? Thank you.
One should never take the MCAT unless quite confident of a score consistent with success.
It is a high-stakes exam where the score never goes away.
A low score is never entirely eradicated by subsequent scores as they will always be visible and thus, considered.
The AAMC recommends that we average multiple scores, so even a good subsequent score is diminished by one taken in haste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Take it. I had a low GPA Barely higher than yours. Threw everything behind the MCAT and got a 521. Have 2 acceptances. No gap years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Waste of money with that GPA