Quantcast

Low gpa, take MCAT or not

Start Med School in 2023! Free Accepted Webinar!
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoeeeyyyyyy

Reaction score
Hi, I am going to be a third year student. My overall gpa is only 2.8 and I failed two math classes (I have to repeat in next summer). I know my grade is too bad and I even have trouble in applying pa program. But anyone think I should still try MCAT and see what’s my grade will be? I am also thinking about take 5th year. Anyone can give me some advice? Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Hi, I am going to be a third year student. My overall gpa is only 2.8 and I failed two math classes (I have to repeat in next summer). I know my grade is too bad and I even have trouble in applying pa program. But anyone think I should still try MCAT and see what’s my grade will be? I am also thinking about take 5th year. Anyone can give me some advice? Thank you.
    One should never take the MCAT unless quite confident of a score consistent with success.
    It is a high-stakes exam where the score never goes away.
    A low score is never entirely eradicated by subsequent scores as they will always be visible and thus, considered.
    The AAMC recommends that we average multiple scores, so even a good subsequent score is diminished by one taken in haste.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: 1 user

pgswimmer

Reaction score
    Take it. I had a low GPA Barely higher than yours. Threw everything behind the MCAT and got a 521. Have 2 acceptances. No gap years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Waste of money with that GPA