This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SheaShea

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken the GRE 3 times already and I signed up for my fourth time - (I can't even afford it but my scores are so low). I don't know what I am doing wrong. I completed a whole Kaplan Prep book, I have 2 apps to help me study, and I typically don't have test anxiety and usually do very well on tests in general. Idk why I can't get the scores!

Scores (for the past 3 times):
Qualitative: 149, 149, 150
Quantitative: 144, 146, 145
Writing: 3.5, 3.5, 3.0

School:
Trinity International University

Major:
Pre-Physical Therapy & Exercise Science

GPA: 3.64

Observation: 200+ (out-patient ortho, in-patient geriatrics, pediatrics)
Volunteer: Pediatric Physical Camps, NHL Blackhawks annual skill testing, youth leader

I also have 3 Associates Degrees (Arts, Science, Applied Science - Health and Wellness Promotion), as well as a certification in Wellness Coaching and ACSM Personal Trainer.

I'm applying to schools in Illinois (or midwest area).

Am I doomed with those scores? How can I get them higher???? Idk what to do.....

HELP PLEASE!

Members don't see this ad.

I hear very good things about people using magoosh to study for it. Give that a try!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I HIGHLY recommend using Magoosh...I used it for a month (pretty much studied 6 hours a day for 30 days) and got pretty high scores the first time...159 V and 158 Q and 4 AWA

If you're going to use it..I would recommend purchasing it (don't just use the apps) and watching ALL the videos and doing everything they suggest...they also have a guarantee that if you don't increase your previous score by a certain amount of points (5?) you get your money back.

My boyfriend did a kaplan (or princeton review? can't remember which one...) class years before I used magoosh and he saw me using magoosh and wished it had been available for him.

Hey SheaShea, what's the timeline for this next GRE? Seems like you're consistent with yours scores...which isn't totally a bad thing since you didn't do significantly worse. Have you teased out what areas you have difficulty with? If so, I would definitely tackle those first. If you haven't already used this, ETS provides 2 free tests called Powerprep II which is graded much like the way the GRE is graded. I'd recommended taking one at the start of your studies and one 2 days before the exam. If you haven't considered it already, maybe a tutor might be of some use? I know for Writing it can be helpful since self-critiquing your writing is pretty tough. They may also be able to help guide you with some of your problem areas. I hope this helps and best of luck!

Look into schools that don't ask for GRE scores

Hey SheaShea, what's the timeline for this next GRE? Seems like you're consistent with yours scores...which isn't totally a bad thing since you didn't do significantly worse. Have you teased out what areas you have difficulty with? If so, I would definitely tackle those first. If you haven't already used this, ETS provides 2 free tests called Powerprep II which is graded much like the way the GRE is graded. I'd recommended taking one at the start of your studies and one 2 days before the exam. If you haven't considered it already, maybe a tutor might be of some use? I know for Writing it can be helpful since self-critiquing your writing is pretty tough. They may also be able to help guide you with some of your problem areas. I hope this helps and best of luck!
ETS also has a bunch of writing prompts on their website that you can use to practice. Be sure to sit down and actually practice writing your essay within the time limit. I know some people have actually received one of the prompts they practiced writing!

Reactions: 2 users
I HIGHLY recommend using Magoosh...I used it for a month (pretty much studied 6 hours a day for 30 days) and got pretty high scores the first time...159 V and 158 Q and 4 AWA

If you're going to use it..I would recommend purchasing it (don't just use the apps) and watching ALL the videos and doing everything they suggest...they also have a guarantee that if you don't increase your previous score by a certain amount of points (5?) you get your money back.

My boyfriend did a kaplan (or princeton review? can't remember which one...) class years before I used magoosh and he saw me using magoosh and wished it had been available for him.

Thank you! I am going to buy it today!

I also would not get too down on yourself!! Definitely study hard for this next GRE and show them how hard you are working to improve. However, if you have high scores in your regular classes, some schools looking at the big picture see past this. I had a 148 Quantitative and was really nervous about that but no school ever brought it up, and I got an interview at almost every school I applied to!

Magoosh, magoosh, magoosh!

I was terrified of the math section, but after going through the majority of their videos and taking a lot of practice questions I got the 150 I needed in the quant section.

I'm much stronger in verbal, so I only did about 20 of their practice questions and scored 161.

It's worth the money.

Great, thank you for the words of encouragement. I am studying super hard using Magoosh, and lately, have been feeling really down on myself. Thanks for your feedback!

I also would not get too down on yourself!! Definitely study hard for this next GRE and show them how hard you are working to improve. However, if you have high scores in your regular classes, some schools looking at the big picture see past this. I had a 148 Quantitative and was really nervous about that but no school ever brought it up, and I got an interview at almost every school I applied to!