MD Low MCAT, Student Athlete: Chances & School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I can speak for Geisinger because I live near it and unfortunately they do not accept many out of state applicants, however, your GPA is right around the average of accepted students (3.61) but MCAT is rather low for their average (510). It may be a reach applying there, but of course it is up to you.

I got the GPA and MCAT stats from their website based on their MD class of 2021
 
I can speak for Geisinger because I live near it and unfortunately they do not accept many out of state applicants, however, your GPA is right around the average of accepted students (3.61) but MCAT is rather low for their average (510). It may be a reach applying there, but of course it is up to you.

I got the GPA and MCAT stats from their website based on their MD class of 2021

Thank you for the info! Looking at the MSAR i see that there is ~30% OOS and with my gpa/mcat stats this is on the higher side for private schools that are within my range. Trying to figure out where to apply is difficult because of my low MCAT, but I am hoping my EC's as well as being an athlete throughout college will give my application a little boost
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have several state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state such as Arkansas, South Carolina, Arizona, Michigan State, Nevada, Florida International, Wright State, Central Michigan. I suggest these schools instead:
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
NOVA MD
California University ( new school)
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.
 
Thank you for the info! Looking at the MSAR i see that there is ~30% OOS and with my gpa/mcat stats this is on the higher side for private schools that are within my range. Trying to figure out where to apply is difficult because of my low MCAT, but I am hoping my EC's as well as being an athlete throughout college will give my application a little boost
Best of luck with with everything.
 
You have several state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state such as Arkansas, South Carolina, Arizona, Michigan State, Nevada, Florida International, Wright State, Central Michigan. I suggest these schools instead:
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
NOVA MD
California University ( new school)
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.
Thank you for updating my list. As far as my chances for MD, I know a lot of schools are lower chance, but don’t I need to apply to a ton of schools because of my lower stats? Or is it pointless to even apply to those?
 
Thank you for updating my list. As far as my chances for MD, I know a lot of schools are lower chance, but don’t I need to apply to a ton of schools because of my lower stats? Or is it pointless to even apply to those?
The number of MD schools where you could receive an interview is limited by your MCAT score and your CA residence. The newer schools are where your best chances are.