5+ Year Member
- Mar 25, 2018
- Reaction score
- 3.63/3.5 GPA
- 505 MCAT Score. 125 P/C, 125 CARS, 127 Bio, 128 Psych
- State of residence: California
- Ethnicity and/or race: White/Caucasian
- Undergraduate institution or category: State University in CT
- Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 350+ hours at the Griffin Hospital. (Currently looking for more opprotunities)
- Research experience and productivity: 250+ hours, no publications, 2 poster presentations
- Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 80 hours shadowing(40 derm, 20 Trauma, 20 oncology, looking for primary care now).
- Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours volunteering with under-represented individuals through honors society (ZDE), 500+ hours volunteering at Mesothelioma Reserch Foundation on Medical committee, 50+ hours In a Heartbeat Foundation, Mentor (Team Impact) to a child with special needs 300+ hours, 25 hours Hoops for Hunger camp counselor
- Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc.): I was a collegiate athlete 4 years, Captain 2 years, Student Athlete Advisory Committee member, 75 hours tutoring for exercise physiology, I play the cello (in HS I played in an orchestra and chamber group) now just as a hobby
- Relevant honors or awards: Male Student Athlete of the Year 2017 (Univ. Award) Deans List-mult. semesters, NABC honors court-mult. semesters
- Anything else not listed you think might be important:
A. I have been helping out with a tech start up with my brother. I have done a lot of the sales-like associated work while he’s doing the business and coding aspects.
B. I have a mother with lupus, Grandmother (deceased, suffered from Alzheimer’s) and brother with bipolar-disorder-this is to say I have been surrounded by medicine my entire life.
C. I have also recently broken my neck and suffered from Central Cord syndrome (temp. paralysis) in October 2017 (in recovery and doing really well), so I have a somewhat unique story.
I am currently trying to put together a school list with schools with stats close to mine as I know my MCAT is low for many MD programs. As of now I am going to apply to most CA schools (excluding UCSD, UCSF, and Stanford) – even though others are also very difficult I want to at least apply. My other school list as of now is as follows:
Quinnipiac & UCONN (undergrad in CT)
Univ. Colorado (ties in CO)
Univ. South Carolina
Univ Arizona Pheonix/Tuscon
Oakland Univ. Beaumont
Loyola-Stritch of Chicago
Univ. Nevada Reno
Central Mich. University
Is there any more schools or should I take other schools off this list? And realistically do I have a shot at getting into an MD program in the next cycle (Start Fall 2019) if I apply broadly enough? Thank you all in advance!!