Low Science GPA (chances of getting in?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtran5t

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
- Does anyone know if all pharmacy schools mainly look at is your overall science GPA? I am asking this because my Overall Science GPA is 2.1 (pharmcas calculated) (68 hrs). Let's just say I took a couple of L's during the beginning of college. My overall math is 3.54 (13 hrs) my overall non-science is 3.59 (78 hrs). Overall gpa came out to be 2.9 (146 hrs). I know I don't have the most amazing stats when it comes to my science gpa, but do you know if I would have chances at some schools?
- I also have 4 years of pharmacy tech work.
- PCAT score came out to:

72 chem
58 bio
29 math
16 RC
41 Composite
Any opinions would be helpful, Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

You and every other person posting in this forum will get into pharmacy school, there are no standards to being admitted anymore.

I heard if you have one or the other, they'll consider it and look at you holistically. You can apply broadly and see

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You and every other person posting in this forum will get into pharmacy school, there are no standards to being admitted anymore.
Agree. All your credentials don't matter as long as you're willing to sign away $200k+ in loans.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

I don't know, I seriously feel like it's gonna be a uphill battle because of my science GPA... I'm not as confident as you guys are.

Since you seem to be much better at math than science (bio, chem, etc.) I would recommend majoring in computer science, engineering, finance, or applied math. These jobs offer far better job prospects and work conditions while paying very well without you having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life in school.

I don't know, I seriously feel like it's gonna be a uphill battle because of my science GPA... I'm not as confident as you guys are.

It depends on where you wanna go. If you apply to new schools/schools with bad reputations then yes, you'll get accepted at the expense of you. If you apply to only state schools, it most certainly is an uphill battle. A 2.1 sGPA is not going to cut it for them. You need to get that gpa up no questions asked. Some schools may say "cGPA of 2.8" but that sGPA also has to be high.

Go back and take more upper lever science classes or choose a different career. Stoichiometrist is right. You see your better at math, do something with that...

How come you got a 29 on your PCAT for the math portion? When your math gpa is so high?

How come you got a 29 on your PCAT for the math portion? When your math gpa is so high?
I know it's strange, but I scored a 60 on the math section the first time I took it and also a 49 in reading the first time as well, but my chem and bio were both in the 20's during that time. This time around it switched, so I'm not really sure why that happened.

Since you seem to be much better at math than science (bio, chem, etc.) I would recommend majoring in computer science, engineering, finance, or applied math. These jobs offer far better job prospects and work conditions while paying very well without you having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life in school.
I actually did start off my first 3 semesters wanting to do computer engineering, but once I started in the introductory courses, It just didn't seem like it was what I wanted to do. I also feel like at this point, I've invested so much of my time and efforts into my pharmacy related courses that I don't want to just give that all up.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on where you wanna go. If you apply to new schools/schools with bad reputations then yes, you'll get accepted at the expense of you. If you apply to only state schools, it most certainly is an uphill battle. A 2.1 sGPA is not going to cut it for them. You need to get that gpa up no questions asked. Some schools may say "cGPA of 2.8" but that sGPA also has to be high.

Go back and take more upper lever science classes or choose a different career. Stoichiometrist is right. You see your better at math, do something with that...
I agree with what you're saying. I am finishing up 2 science/biology course this semester (Biochemical Methods, Pathogenics and Infectious Diseases) and I'm also graduating with my bachelor's degree this semester as well. I've been working really hard this semester to try and get all A's and at this moment, I have set myself up in a good position to do so. So hopefully my last semester as an undergrad will show them that I am capable for handling pharmacy related courses. I mean I have literally taken almost every science class that is required... including all of the recommended for most schools such as (Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Biochemistry, Immunology) so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I've invested so much of my time and efforts into my pharmacy related courses that I don't want to just give that all up.

Consider the pharmacy related courses a sunk cost. Just because you have spent the effort on pharmacy related courses does not mean it is worth it at this point to go to pharmacy school. You really need to consider the prospective costs especially with the amount of loans you will take out to go to pharmacy school. If you're worried about having invested "so much of your time in effort" into your prereqs now, how will you feel after you've invested $200k+ and 4 years? Will you stick it out and be miserable for the rest of your life because you don't want to give that all up?

Last edited: