MD & DO Low stats, honest advice please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueBalloon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm currently having a mental breakdown because I think I majorly screwed up my chances for med school. I graduated with a BA in Biochemistry and BS in Molecular & Cellular Biology. I graduated early, in 3 years instead of 4 (most people advised me to graduate rather than stay.) My cumulative GPA is 3.49 and my BCPM GPA is 3.36. I'm so disappointed and frustrated with myself because I let myself slip in my last semester and missed the cum laude and honors accreditation by dropping 0.01 points in my GPA. I wrote an honors thesis for the honors college at my school, which I thought would be a good addition to my app but now all my work for it is gone. I will be taking a gap year to gain more clinical experience/shadowing. I will also apply to work at a hospital to gain more clinical experience, as a rehab assistant.

For my GPA, I feel like it could be attributed to many reasons. The number one main reason is that I should have worked harder. I'm hesitant to say this, but looking back, I think I had a lot of depressive episodes where I just felt demotivated and horrible, and let my grades slip as a result. I don't think the admissions board will accept this, which is understandable, but I truly think this did play a big part. Especially after my low score on the MCAT, I just felt inferior to everyone. Another reason is that my grandma's health has been declining with dementia and I took a couple short trips to see her. My father was also unemployed for a large part of my undergraduate years (I live at home), and the financial instability further contributed to my stress.

For more background info:

I live in Arizona

I took the MCAT once and my score was 503. Again, I'm angry with myself for this score. However, I only ran through a full practice one time, and an advisor told me that if I was able to get that score by practicing only once, I had a high probability of scoring higher with more practice exams. I plan on focusing and working hard to hopefully compensate somewhat for my GPA when I retake it this summer.

I have 2.5 years of research (I started the second semester of my freshman year and continued on to graduation). I will be listed as a primary author in a soon to be published paper. But because I did a lot of work for research, I feel like I didn't balance it well with my academics.

I was in the biochem club, pre-health club, biochem ambassador and mentor program at my school. I mentored new freshman and met with them monthly to provide advice.

I have 100 hours of clinical volunteer experience, as well as more social work volunteer experience (I counseled young children going through traumatic/emotional times after the loss of a loved one).

I'm planning on a volunteer abroad experience in Peru, where I will be shadowing a doctor. Plus it's been something I've always wanted to do. I will also be shadowing a pathologist.

Please let me know of any recommendations or if you think I still have the chance to turn my app around into a good one. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) in this country, not in Peru. Where is your state of residence ? You are competitive for the majority of DO schools with your stats. When are you planning to apply ?

Reactions: 1 user
You need 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) in this country, not in Peru. Where is your state of residence ? You are competitive for the majority of DO schools with your stats. When are you planning to apply ?

Hi Faha,

The reason I was thinking Peru was because a lot of med school students and advisors I talked to said that volunteer abroad experience is a good way to stand out. There's another program in Colorado I was thinking of applying to for shadowing, if that is more preferable. I live in Arizona. I'm planning to apply in 2019 (hopefully for acceptance in 2020). Do you think I should focus on applying to more DO schools than MD schools (or just apply to DO)?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
These are DO schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
ATSU-SOMA
RVU-Utah
BCOM
ICOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Apply to at least 12 schools and you should receive interviews.
For MD there are only a few schools where you could receive interviews:
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Penn State

They would be wrong.

Hi gyngyn,

Thanks for the advice! Definitely glad to know this before submitting the app for that program. If you could, can you please explain why volunteer abroad is not seen as a beneficial addition to the med school app? Should I avoid volunteer abroad programs all together?

These are DO schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
ATSU-SOMA
RVU-Utah
BCOM
ICOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)

Hi Faha,

Thank you for the list of suggested schools! I'll definitely research further on them later on. May I bother you with one more question? Since i'm taking a gap year, do you think it's still a good plan for me to shadow doctors, work at a hospital (as a rehab assistant or something similar), and continue volunteering before applying next summer?

Hi gyngyn,

Thanks for the advice! Definitely glad to know this before submitting the app for that program. If you could, can you please explain why volunteer abroad is not seen as a beneficial addition to the med school app? Should I avoid volunteer abroad programs all together?
There are several threads on this topic. Here is one: Has anyone heard of Atlantis Project?

Many have observed that these "programs" are little more than ways to take $ from gullible pre-meds, displace local workers and give those who are well-off another "advantage" in the admissions process.

Shadowing is to benefit you, not the patients you observe, whether here or elsewhere. It is not volunteer work.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need 50 hours of shadowing in this country but no more. Working in a hospital with patient contact and non clinical volunteering will all help your chances.

Hi Faha,

The reason I was thinking Peru was because a lot of med school students and advisors I talked to said that volunteer abroad experience is a good way to stand out. There's another program in Colorado I was thinking of applying to for shadowing, if that is more preferable. I live in Arizona. I'm planning to apply in 2019 (hopefully for acceptance in 2020). Do you think I should focus on applying to more DO schools than MD schools (or just apply to DO)?
If you’re talking about the WFR program in Colorado, don’t bother. It’s an amazing experience, but out of 10 interviews, 0 asked about it. You’re only going to be able to shadow an ER physician for 3-6 hours, so if you need US shadowing experience, this may not be the best program for you :/