MD Low undergrad GPA, higher post-bacc GPA, URM. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Do I stand a chance of getting into an allopathic school in the US?

  • Possibly

  • No


Results are only viewable after voting.

Premedgirl27

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is another "what are my chances post". I just used the AMCAS GPA calculator to calculate my GPA and it is much lower than I originally thought, as it is lower than what is shown on my undergraduate transcript 🙁

First, a bit about me. I graduated from a lower tier UC in 2013. I immediately started doing a post-bacc after graduating. I majored in Psychology for undergrad then decided I wanted to go to medical school. I had only two undergraduate BCPM classes, so I needed to take everything. I am finishing up my post-bacc right now and plan on applying in May 2016.


Following the suggested format:
  1. My AMCAS GPAs:
Including post-bacc:
Post-bacc GPA: 3.6
Overall GPA including post-bacc: 3.1
Overall BCPM including post-bacc: 3.5

Undergrad:
Cumulative undergraduate GPA: 2.9
Cumulative undergraduate BCPM GPA: 3.0

2. MCAT: have not taken yet, will do my best obviously

3. State of residence: California

4. Ethnicity: URM, african-american w/difficult upbringing

5. Clinical experience:
ER volunteer at safety net hospital 2015-current

6. Research Experience:
Research assistant UCSF HIV/AIDS 2014-2015
Research assistant UCSF HIV/AIDS (different position) 2015-current, with opportunity for publication

7. Undergraduate institution or category: lower tier UC

8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
40 hours and counting of shadowing an ER doctor at safety net hospital


So to summarize, I have a fairly low GPA which I have worked hard to get up by completing a post-bacc. I have a decent BCPM GPA. All of my GPAs show strong upward trends. I am an URM and have tried to demonstrate through my volunteering/research that I plan on helping disenfranchised groups when I become a doctor. I know for me, it may come down to my MCAT score. But does my applicant profile look completely terrible or do I stand a chance at all?

Thanks for reading.
 
Last edited: