Low undergrad GPA, should I still pursue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioismybae

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a pretty awful undergraduate experience. I started at 16 and I was immature and needed better time management skills. Got involved in far too many ECs (even if I built great connections). Graduated with a cGPA of 2.71 with a bachelor’s in biology.

I got into a master’s program in biology because I wanted to prove that I could handle upper level hard sciences coursework. Graduating in May. 3.6 GPA right now and hopefully higher by May.
I’ve done some research too but took mainly coursework. I will start volunteering as an adult educator in a month. Also will be shadowing through the next few months. I have not taken the MCAT yet as I am feeling discouraged about my undergraduate GPA still. Wondering if I should pursue a PhD :/. Was hoping to start studying in February and take it by May since my last semester is lighter in coursework.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

By the time you have made progress on a sustained period of success in undergraduate sciences, your MCAT would have expired.
Graduate grades are not considered a marker of academic prowess at MD schools. DO schools see things differently.

Reactions: 1 user