Lower stats w/ great ECs vs. Higher stats w/ no ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jg2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.5 GPA, mostly due to messing up my first semester of undergrad (C in gen chem I, which I believe I made up with an A- in gen chem II, an A- in orgo I, and looking like an A in orgo II), but I definitely have a pretty significant upward trend. I also have 45 shadowing hours, 150+ volunteer hours in the ED and burn unit in a childrens hospital, a very time consuming leadership position in my sorority (I believe it shows time management and leadership skills), research for 1 year (so far) in the same lab studying the molecular mechanism underlying cardiac hypertrophy and heart failure in rodents, as well as a spanish minor and significant volunteering with non-english speakers in disadvantaged areas. I know it sounds like im just listing off ECs (which i guess i am), but my main point is i am extremely concerned and getting down on myself when my peers with 4.0s brag and brag and brag, but have little to no experience with anything outside of their STEM classes. Realistically, is this a valid concern? (edit: I have not taken the MCAT yet, so I know this will have a significant impact but I am only a second semester sophomore)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a 3.5 GPA, mostly due to messing up my first semester of undergrad (C in gen chem I, which I believe I made up with an A- in gen chem II, an A- in orgo I, and looking like an A in orgo II), but I definitely have a pretty significant upward trend. I also have 60 shadowing hours, 300+ volunteer hours in the ED and burn unit in a childrens hospital, a very time consuming leadership position in my sorority (I believe it shows time management and leadership skills), research for 1.5 years (so far) in the same lab studying the molecular mechanism underlying cardiac hypertrophy and heart failure in rodents, as well as a spanish minor and significant volunteering with non-english speakers in disadvantaged areas. I know it sounds like im just listing off ECs (which i guess i am), but my main point is i am extremely concerned and getting down on myself when my peers with 4.0s brag and brag and brag, but have little to no experience with anything outside of their STEM classes. Realistically, is this a valid concern? (edit: I have not taken the MCAT yet, so I know this will have a significant impact but I am only a second semester sophomore)
Both are important. A 3.5 (and that C) won't hold you back too bad from mid-tier med schools, but will hold you back from top-tier. Focus on doing well on the MCAT, and it literally won't matter and you could be accepted to top-tiers with a 518 MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
You also have plenty of time to bring the GPA up! You've got at least 3 semesters of grades left, and that's if you're not taking summer classes and are planning to apply straight out as a junior. If you're planning to take a gap year like most students do these days, you have at least 5 left and will be able to improve your GPA! Aim for a 3.7 or higher

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Finish your undergrad like you're doing, and that C shouldn't be a problem. Especially since it's in your first semester, freshman year. Seems like you've been pulling a 3.8 or better your last couple semesters. Keep doing that and volunteering and you should be good. As for your sorority leadership position: opinions are mixed as to whether sorority or fraternity involvement is a good thing to include on an application. On the one hand, you could have adcom members that had good experiences in Greek life as undergrads. On the other, they could think you led an Animal House-esque organization, and this could reflect badly upon you. @Goro, @LizzyM: any thoughts on that aspect of her application?

I have a 3.5 GPA, mostly due to messing up my first semester of undergrad (C in gen chem I, which I believe I made up with an A- in gen chem II, an A- in orgo I, and looking like an A in orgo II), but I definitely have a pretty significant upward trend. I also have 60 shadowing hours, 300+ volunteer hours in the ED and burn unit in a childrens hospital, a very time consuming leadership position in my sorority (I believe it shows time management and leadership skills), research for 1.5 years (so far) in the same lab studying the molecular mechanism underlying cardiac hypertrophy and heart failure in rodents, as well as a spanish minor and significant volunteering with non-english speakers in disadvantaged areas. I know it sounds like im just listing off ECs (which i guess i am), but my main point is i am extremely concerned and getting down on myself when my peers with 4.0s brag and brag and brag, but have little to no experience with anything outside of their STEM classes. Realistically, is this a valid concern? (edit: I have not taken the MCAT yet, so I know this will have a significant impact but I am only a second semester sophomore)
High stats plus no or weak ECs get you rejected. Medicine is a service profession, and we expect people to know what they're getting into.
Here's another way of putting it. Stats get you to the door, ECs get you through.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed, although OP's on a strong track as it is. If she keeps volunteering and earning 3.8s or better each semester, with a good MCAT the sky's the limit. How do you feel about the sorority leadership position, though?

Agreed, although OP's on a strong track as it is. If she keeps volunteering and earning 3.8s or better each semester, with a good MCAT the sky's the limit. How do you feel about the sorority leadership position, though?
I think sorority stuff is pretty common in med school apps, and I think it shows that you're able to be social. Some schools are extremely sorority/fraternity oriented like UCSD, so I wouldn't think this would deter the ad com. My gf got into med school this round with many iis and put her sorority stuff in her app. I would put it in, OP.

Put your head down and run your own race. Every premed will tell you they have a 4.0 gpa and are currently working on the cure to eradicate cancer....

Reactions: 1 user
In 2019 and beyond, I promise you you don’t want to take a chance with either