Someonewhoisstupid

Reaction score
Hey all, I am here to ask a question that I am 100% percent sure has been asked before.

For frame of reference, I am currently a high school student entering my senior year and am trying to decide on colleges to apply to. The issue is I am having trouble picking a major, but I know for a fact that I want to go to med school.

I was wondering about the feasibility of a BME major with a pre-med program. I am passionate about math and bio and after an internship, decided BME would be a good major for me. I have also heard that BME majors tend to kill your college GPA due to the concentration of high rigor classes which may greatly hurt your chances on getting to medical school.

Basically, should I bite the bullet and do it, or major in something "easier?" I have gotten very good grades (4.0+ GPA unweighted) and have decent test scores (1400+ on SAT) so I assume I can handle the rigor, but just don't know if it is worth it.

If someone could shed some light on the topic and maybe point out a few colleges that have good BME+Pre-Med programs that would be fantastic.

Members don't see this ad.

As a recent BME grad, I'd advise against it unless you somehow know for sure that BME is the only major you'd enjoy. Obviously, your major doesn't directly matter for medical school, you can technically major in whatever you'd like. However, BME involves a great deal more work than biology and is still an extremely common major for premeds. Adcoms won't bat an eye at a BME major.

At least if you did EE or ME, you could gain some experiences or internships that might be a commodity and help you to stand out in the application process in exchange for the increased rigor. BME offers almost nothing in return for your investment of time with regards to the medical school application process.

As an aside, being a BME undergrad isn't even a good major if you wanted to pursue a career in engineering (unless you attend a few select colleges where the program is well developed). Almost everyone looking to eventually pursue a career in BME is better off majoring in EE or ME during undergrad and doing a BME graduate program.

Hey all, I am here to ask a question that I am 100% percent sure has been asked before.

For frame of reference, I am currently a high school student entering my senior year and am trying to decide on colleges to apply to. The issue is I am having trouble picking a major, but I know for a fact that I want to go to med school.

I was wondering about the feasibility of a BME major with a pre-med program. I am passionate about math and bio and after an internship, decided BME would be a good major for me. I have also heard that BME majors tend to kill your college GPA due to the concentration of high rigor classes which may greatly hurt your chances on getting to medical school.

Basically, should I bite the bullet and do it, or major in something "easier?" I have gotten very good grades (4.0+ GPA unweighted) and have decent test scores (1400+ on SAT) so I assume I can handle the rigor, but just don't know if it is worth it.

If someone could shed some light on the topic and maybe point out a few colleges that have good BME+Pre-Med programs that would be fantastic.

if ur sure u want to go to med school, don’t do it. I was in a competetive honors college in my school, and I know numerous people who tried doing BME and premed. Not one is premed anymore. Obviously there are exceptions, but getting a competetive medical school gpa in engineering is absurdly hard. Don’t do it if you want to be a doctor, do it if you want to be a BME.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
can someone shed some light on a mathematics major + pre-med? I feel like I might be screwed if med school does not work out.

can someone shed some light on a mathematics major + pre-med? I feel like I might be screwed if med school does not work out.

I may be wrong, but I think math tends to be very employable and attractive to graduate programs (other than medical school) I'd imagine. Very useful for all types of research, computer science, even engineering. It's also something that most people don't want to do or are good at so you're valued.

If it's your thing, I don't thiiink it would be a gpa killer? The only people that really ever go into math are the ones that are good at it. Lot of the math folk I've met are brilliant. Just don't get lazy and slack off on assignments since I've met those types as well.

Just letting you know OP, the poster who said he has a 3.8 in BME is by far the exception to the rule. That GPA is insaaaaaaaaaaane and nearly impossible at many schools depending on grading norms. BME is a huge risk.

I got a 3.9 in bme but don't recommend it! My program might have been "easy" compared to other bme programs, but it was still difficult. I loved some of it and hated other parts (electrical, coding, etc). Just know what you're getting yourself into. Over half my class transferred out of bme sometime before junior year

I got a 3.9 in bme but don't recommend it! My program might have been "easy" compared to other bme programs, but it was still difficult. I loved some of it and hated other parts (electrical, coding, etc). Just know what you're getting yourself into. Over half my class transferred out of bme sometime before junior year

I go to a state school which loves weeding out students and I've never heard of a GPA remotely close to yours. I got a 3.9 in psych and never looked back. There are numerous classes at my school which the average student has to take twice at least.