Majors for Pre-Medical Studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Z-123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm reaching my, technically, junior year in my Pre-Medical Studies. Right now, I am a biology major deciding to pursue a Bachelor of Science. I'm not the biggest fan of Biology.

This is for me, but also for different people debating a major. Here's my issue right now:

I prefer a more math basis, but that may be the wrong phrasing. I like something I can "prove" through math or similar. This is why I am not great with Organic because it's super conceptual, or Biology because it's such a relatively new science that it's kind of just that it happens and that's something to accept. I am between deciding majors and if I should stick with Biology and just go for the BS, but I decided to do some digging.

If I wanted to graduate with a Zoology BS, I have 22 hours left in the major, which gives me some wiggle room to take classes I am interested in (more Chemistry electives, all that jazz).

If I wanted to graduate with a Biology BS, I have 45 hours left in the major, which takes away a lot of that wiggle room. However, I know Biology can be helpful in preparing for medical school.

If I wanted to graduate with a Chemistry degree at all, I have to take Calculus-based Physics, which is the most failed course at my school and the typical grade is a D. My friend who took it got a B in it and she studied almost daily. I'm at crossroads here because I am a Calculus tutor, but I am not even remotely in the mood to do poorly on my transcripts after receiving a C in organic.

Basically, this thread poses the question for me specifically, but also for others asking: what majors suffice? Obviously, the answer is that none of them and you should pick what you want. However, since Biology is a very common major, would it be better to pick something a little different, like Zoology or Chemistry? Would it be bad to have a little more room to work with or prefer a more structured requirement list?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, this thread poses the question for me specifically, but also for others asking: what majors suffice? Obviously, the answer is that none of them and you should pick what you want.

You already answered your own question...

A unique major may give you something interesting to talk about at interviews, but overall your specific major does not matter. What will matter are your grades, MCAT, letters, and extracurriculars.

In terms of a major preparing you most for medical school, as long as you take the pre-requisites + 1-2 upper level bio classes (this is my personal recommendation, things like biochem, physiology, immunology, etc.) then you will be prepared.

Reactions: 1 user
Being that deep into your undergrad career and based on what you’ve stated, go with zoology, take the necessary courses you need for med school, and take whatever interests you. You are paying for what you want to learn so might as well make it something you like.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

So I'm reaching my, technically, junior year in my Pre-Medical Studies. Right now, I am a biology major deciding to pursue a Bachelor of Science. I'm not the biggest fan of Biology.

This is for me, but also for different people debating a major. Here's my issue right now:

I prefer a more math basis, but that may be the wrong phrasing. I like something I can "prove" through math or similar. This is why I am not great with Organic because it's super conceptual, or Biology because it's such a relatively new science that it's kind of just that it happens and that's something to accept. I am between deciding majors and if I should stick with Biology and just go for the BS, but I decided to do some digging.

If I wanted to graduate with a Zoology BS, I have 22 hours left in the major, which gives me some wiggle room to take classes I am interested in (more Chemistry electives, all that jazz).

If I wanted to graduate with a Biology BS, I have 45 hours left in the major, which takes away a lot of that wiggle room. However, I know Biology can be helpful in preparing for medical school.

If I wanted to graduate with a Chemistry degree at all, I have to take Calculus-based Physics, which is the most failed course at my school and the typical grade is a D. My friend who took it got a B in it and she studied almost daily. I'm at crossroads here because I am a Calculus tutor, but I am not even remotely in the mood to do poorly on my transcripts after receiving a C in organic.

Basically, this thread poses the question for me specifically, but also for others asking: what majors suffice? Obviously, the answer is that none of them and you should pick what you want. However, since Biology is a very common major, would it be better to pick something a little different, like Zoology or Chemistry? Would it be bad to have a little more room to work with or prefer a more structured requirement list?
You already answered your own question.
It doesn't matter. Major in what you're interested in, because admissions committees don't care about what you major in, only that you do well.