This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Marquette vs UConn


  • Total voters
    23

thatgirl143

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,
I have been fortunate enough to get accepted to multiple schools.
A little background about me: I am from the east coast and leaning towards general dentistry/public health dentistry. I am considering applying for the NHSC scholarship.

Marquette

Pros:
Urban location in Milwaukee
Cheap cost of living ( I don't mind moving to the Midwest)
Good clinical experience, grads feel comfortable enough practicing

Neutral:
Larger class size (100)

Cons:
Safety of the area
Not as much updated technology as UCONN
Possibly $80k more expensive than UCONN (still cheap compared to most US schools for OOS) or free if I receive the NHSC scholarship

UCONN
Pros:
Pass/fail curriculum
Cheap cost of living and COA
Updated technology

Neutral:
Smaller class size (52)

Cons:
Suburban location in Farmington
TBL and medical curriculum
Not as clinically focused, many students do a GPR/AEGD after graduation
 
Last edited:
UConn amigo, not even worth more than a second of thought. One of the best schools in the nation.

The “prepared for practice” is nonsense. No offense, but you’re a pre-dent who has no idea what life is like on the other side. I knew people with great training who did residencies, and people who barely did anything in school and success fully went straight into practice.

UCONN is pass/fail and cheap. GO GO GO.
 
P/F school would be heavenly, especially if you ever consider specializing. There is a lot less pressure in P/F schools. Updated technology is a good thing, too; I know Marquette's simlab is in rougher shape (in the basement), however, their clinic where they treat patients is beautiful. I would probably lean towards UCONN if I were you.