Marriage and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wes c. adle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Need some advice. I'm thinking about getting engaged and was wondering if getting married during med school is possible. Specifically, is there any time between 2nd year, studying/sitting for the boards, and starting rotations? Anyone been through this before?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in med school right now? I'll be finishing up my first year next week and I'll be be getting married July 20. It's definitely doable, but in between MS-I and MS-II seems to be one of the best times to me.

Congratulations. You should talk with your dean of student affairs to get an idea about good timing and any accommodations that can be made for you (e.g. setting up rotations favorably). A 2nd year friend is getting hitched this summer after boards and another 2nd year (he's entering his 3rd year) is getting married in September. They are working with him to get him some time and arrange his rotations, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
During medical school, five, yes 5 of my medical school friends got married (I'm sure there were others in the class as well). Two did it in the break between 1st and 2nd year, 1 did it during his vacation in 3rd year, 1 eloped in third year, and on got married right after graduation. I think the best time is between MS-1 and MS-2 but is definitely doable at other times. Of course all of these were guys and their bride's to be did most of the work setting up the wedding. :D

Depends how you want to do it. We eloped. The whole process took 45 minutes. Surely med students have an hour or so to spare. The honeymoon is a different matter, though--we had ours 7 years later.

Thanks guys. I'll be an MS1 in the fall and was mainly thinking in between year 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. I guess it is possible to schedule rotations to accomodate this?

If you're going to be an MS-I and you could do it either between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd, I would definitely pick between 1st and 2nd. You probably won't want to be getting ready for a wedding while trying to study for boards.

Like I said, at our school accommodations have been made with regard to rotations and weddings. The only way to answer your question is to ask one of your deans. They probably will encourage you to think about other times first, but if need be should be able to accommodate.

It's been said already, but I just wanted to add that we had 13 people at my school get married just in the summer between 1st and 2nd year (including me). I also know of several people getting married between MSII and MSIII, and I even know two MSIII couples that are getting married after 3rd year.

In other words, anything's possible. Some times are easier than others. Good luck!