Match 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post about the match from your programs here.

Congrats to those that matched yesterday!! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thankful to have matched but have friends that are currently in the scramble which makes it bitter sweet. Supposedly 73 people scrambling across all schools and 72 positions available.

Man you guys missed it back in the day a few years ago when so few spots open. You kids have it easy these days

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thankful to have matched but have friends that are currently in the scramble which makes it bitter sweet. Supposedly 73 people scrambling across all schools and 72 positions available.

Congrats. 72 positions for 73 plp is not bad...but more is always good though!

I am out of school now, but I discovered 16 scrambling at TUSPM.

Why so many this year. Last year there was like 46 or something

I mean it’s roughly 10% of the graduating class right? That seems reasonable to me.

When you have time..can you please tell us about the matching process? How you many places you applied to, interviewed at, ranking and so on?

Much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Following too. We dont have much info on matching in this forum. Will greatly appreciate any info.

Thank you.

I mean it’s roughly 10% of the graduating class right? That seems reasonable to me.
Said nobody from DMU ever...lol if Kent State has brainwashed people into thinking this is normal then they have already won.

Well, so much for the “surplus” of residency spots schools promised. Pod schools have always had a problem with too many students, not enough residencies.

Though if I recall, this class or the next have a big number of students (entering fall class 2015). Hopefully there isn’t a repeat of 2012-2013 in the near future, history has a tendency to repeat itself.

Well, so much for the “surplus” of residency spots schools promised. Pod schools have always had a problem with too many students, not enough residencies.

Though if I recall, this class or the next have a big number of students (entering fall class 2015). Hopefully there isn’t a repeat of 2012-2013 in the near future, history has a tendency to repeat itself.

Can you stop?

People will fail to match for a variety of reasons.

A surplus of spots does not mean candidates with red flags are guaranteed a spot.

Said nobody from DMU ever...lol if Kent State has brainwashed people into thinking this is normal then they have already won.

1. Don’t go to Kent. I go to Scholl. This is my own opinion I’ve never heard a single person from my school say that. They always push for the 100% placement but that’s not possible.
2. Podiatry is an extremely small field. There are 200+ residency programs. I don’t understand how it’s unreasonable to think that 10% of a nationwide graduating class may not initially match? Especially when after the first round of the scramble ends today and half of those students are placed. A lot goes into finding the right match. It’s hard to choose where you rotate and some people unfortunately don’t find a program they love or a program that loves them. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a program for them but that’s why the scramble exists.

You’ve been through this process airbud. People do some idiotic things. For example: Had a co extern walk out of the presentation room on the Monday of the final week of our rotation and go MIA until Friday when we had to return our badges.
MD/DO doesn’t have 100% match.

A lack of residency spots can become a real issue if not taken seriously. That’s what happened in 2012-2013.

How is it fair for a student to take out a 300k+ non dischargeble student loan and not end up with a residency? It’s not dental or optometry school where you can practice without a residency, DPMs need a residency to do anything with their degree. Red flags or not, if you complete school you should be guaranteed a spot, one spent too much money and time to be denied.

Now granted, if there are students that would make terrible surgeons or just don’t have the ability to be doctors and would actually do harm, I understand. One idea is schools could refund their tuition.

Can you stop?

People will fail to match for a variety of reasons.

A surplus of spots does not mean candidates with red flags are guaranteed a spot.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This thread started well. Can we please keep this thread on topic so we can have valuable information for current students about the match.

A lack of residency spots can become a real issue if not taken seriously. That’s what happened in 2012-2013.

How is it fair for a student to take out a 300k+ non dischargeble student loan and not end up with a residency? It’s not dental or optometry school where you can practice without a residency, DPMs need a residency to do anything with their degree. Red flags or not, if you complete school you should be guaranteed a spot, one spent too much money and time to be denied.

Now granted, if there are students that would make terrible surgeons or just don’t have the ability to be doctors and would actually do harm, I understand. One idea is schools could refund their tuition.

Make another thread and talk about whatever you want but do not derail this thread. This specific thread is only for those who just matched and for those who will match in the future, i.e. people in this profession.

Thanks.

I mean, we’re talking about scrambling here. 10% isn’t a big deal for the scramble as far as I’m concerned. Good programs and good students scramble. It happens ‍

Anyways, let's hear some match details. Always interesting to see "big name" programs that scramble and always depressing to see the same NY programs that scramble year after year. And congrats. I will never forget match day. I didn't get my first 2 choices. I was crushed. But I ended upeeting my wife in residency and couldn't be happier with how things have turned out. No matter what happens, it happens. I don't believe in stuff like fate and part of your God's plan. It is what it is and it happens. So keep going out every day and go to work, you are responsible for your own success. Unless your parents bought the program and new cadaver lab....

Reactions: 4 users
only 54 students are in the scramble, not sure as to how many programs.

Heard from my friends at NYCPM that they have a 100% match this year as well! :clap::=|:-):
If NYCPM had 100%, DMU and AzPOD have about 98-99%, where do 54 or 72 unmatched people come from? Is it mostly from previous years?

Do we know already this info or it will come out later in the process?

How is it fair for a student to take out a 300k+ non dischargeble student loan and not end up with a residency?
It is completely fair.

How is it fair that you have sub 21 on your MCAT and sub 3.2 GPA coming out of college but you STILL have the ability to be a DOCTOR making 6 figures compared to MD/DO who were most likely killing themselves since high school and are just more talented than you?

It’s not dental or optometry school where you can practice without a residency
Correct. It is not. But dental students have more rigorous admission criteria than podiatry

Red flags or not, if you complete school you should be guaranteed a spot, one spent too much money and time to be denied.
Absolutely incorrect. Anyone who has graduated from podiatry school could probably rattle off 10-15 people in their class that "graduated" but should have never been allowed to because they either cheated or were greased through by the podiatry school itself. These people should not have gotten residency training but some ultimately do. These people make up the worst of our profession. They are the baseline. Unfortunately our profession is judged by these individuals who are practicing and clearly have no idea what they are doing.

I want what you are smoking.

If NYCPM had 100%, DMU and AzPOD have about 98-99%, where do 54 or 72 unmatched people come from? Is it mostly from previous years?

This stat is after the first round of the scramble. Every year schools wait until after the scramble to release placement rates.

The official match rates come out later; as with board scores. But the list of eligible students in the scramble delivered to residencies is 54, not 72.

The official match rates come out later; as with board scores. But the list of eligible students in the scramble delivered to residencies is 54, not 72.

This is correct. Sorry I had different information earlier.
From what I’ve heard the numbers by school:

Scholl 8
NYCPM 6
Barry 3
Temple 17

Programs this year are:

Advocate Masonic
Aventura Hospital and Medical Center
Brooklyn Hospital center RRA
Chestnut Hill
DVA- Atlanta
DVA- Chicago (Jesse Brown)
DVA- Cleveland (Louis Stokes)
DVA- Iliana Health
DVA- Loma Linda (Jerry Pettis)
DVA- Miami
DVA- New York Harbor Healthcare
DVA- Northport/Stony Brook
DVA- Tampa (Haley)
Hahnemann University Hospital
HealthAlliance Hospital
Henry Ford Macomb
Hunt Regional
Jamaica Hospital
Mt Sinai Beth Isreal
Mt Sinai/DVA-North Chicago
New York - Presbyterian Queens
Oak Hill Hospital
Roxborough Memorial Hospital
Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego
Southwestern Vermont Medical Center
St Barnabas Hospital- New York RRA
St Francis -CT
St John Macomb- Oakland Hospital
St Joseph’s Medical Center - TX
St Joseph’s Medically Center - NY RRA
St Vincent Charity Medical Center
SUNY Downstate- Univ Hospital of Brooklyn
United Health Services Hospitals
University Hospital
West Covina Medical Center
Westchester General Hospital
Westside Regional Medical Center
Womack Army Medical Center

Just a heads up. Scripps Mercy did not scramble this year. Our wonderful CASPR/CRIP messed up and forgot to list one of our tracks so no one got it initially. But they redid our spot and filled it like it was supposed to.

This is correct. Sorry I had different information earlier.
From what I’ve heard the numbers by school:

Scholl 8
NYCPM 6
Barry 3
Temple 17

Programs this year are:

Advocate Masonic
Aventura Hospital and Medical Center
Brooklyn Hospital center RRA
Chestnut Hill
DVA- Atlanta
DVA- Chicago (Jesse Brown)
DVA- Cleveland (Louis Stokes)
DVA- Iliana Health
DVA- Loma Linda (Jerry Pettis)
DVA- Miami
DVA- New York Harbor Healthcare
DVA- Northport/Stony Brook
DVA- Tampa (Haley)
Hahnemann University Hospital
HealthAlliance Hospital
Henry Ford Macomb
Hunt Regional
Jamaica Hospital
Mt Sinai Beth Isreal
Mt Sinai/DVA-North Chicago
New York - Presbyterian Queens
Oak Hill Hospital
Roxborough Memorial Hospital
Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego
Southwestern Vermont Medical Center
St Barnabas Hospital- New York RRA
St Francis -CT
St John Macomb- Oakland Hospital
St Joseph’s Medical Center - TX
St Joseph’s Medically Center - NY RRA
St Vincent Charity Medical Center
SUNY Downstate- Univ Hospital of Brooklyn
United Health Services Hospitals
University Hospital
West Covina Medical Center
Westchester General Hospital
Westside Regional Medical Center
Womack Army Medical Center

A lot of bad programs on this list. There is a reason they don’t fill their spots

Damn those are some terrible programs.

Which are good programs then...you guys got an example?
Just looking at the list, Womack I think is no stranger to the scramble because matching there comes with an active duty military commitment. I think it’s a decent program though. United Health Services Hospitals is a program I had several classmates either as residents or students and they had positive things to say. Henry Ford Macomb is well-respected and I wonder whether they’re actually in the scramble, they have been known to not fill spots rather than scramble in the past. Those are the ones that I recognize in the list

I’ve heard positive things about University Hospital, Westside Regional, and Henry Ford Macomb.
Scripps* is a “big name” program. Had a few good friends rotate there and heard good things.

For those asking about the match process I’ll give a bit of info. However, my experience was not the norm and all of the attendings and residents on here are going to call me an idiot for what I did. But if you have specific questions that I don’t answer below feel free to ask here or you can pm me.

Background info:
I’m in the top 20% of my class. I have multiple publications in peer review journals. Passed boards first try. Decent amount of volunteer hours. Worked during pod school.

I go to Scholl so I had 7 elective rotation months prior to CRIP. I kept in touch with 4-5 of those programs on a monthly/bi-monthly basis based on how my month went and whether or not I thought that I would be happy there for residency. Honestly, I probably did a pretty poor job of keeping in touch most of the time as it’s just awkward as a student to reach out to busy residents. I continued to do this until around November when I focused my attention on 2 programs. I made a trip to visit one of these programs in November and both in December. At the end of my month and during my visits I repeated multiple times to my top choice that they were my #1 to residents and even the director. I never told the other program that they were my #1, instead I told them they were at the top of my list with one other program far ahead of every other program. Essentially I knew I’d be very happy at either program and they were truly 1A and 1B for me but I did not feel comfortable telling multiple programs that they were my #1.

I applied to interview at all of the programs that I spent a month at, including the core programs in Chicago that we are required to spend a month at. I was fortunate to be offered interviews to every program that I applied.

I had a lot of really positive feedback from both of my top choices from residents and attendings. After a lot of contemplation I decided that I would only interview at and rank my top 2 choices. Stupid? Yeah probably. But I felt very confident about both programs and it worked out for me. I would probably not recommend anyone repeat what I did with interviewing and ranking 2 programs but everyone has a different experience.

Like I mentioned before this is not the norm at all. I have a very good friend with a higher GPA and plenty of other crap on their application who interviewed at 10 programs and ranked 7.

Also keep in mind that some programs don’t attend CRIP. They either interview before, after or don’t interview at all. Some of these programs are known to contact their top choices and inform them where they are ranked. Typically this comes with the expectation of commitment to said program. This is technically against the rules of CRIP but it happens before, during and after CRIP. Programs play dirty. They want to know who they are getting and know that they won’t be scrambling but it’s stressful as a student when you’re cornered and put on the spot.

Reactions: 5 users
For those asking about the match process I’ll give a bit of info. However, my experience was not the norm and all of the attendings and residents on here are going to call me an idiot for what I did. But if you have specific questions that I don’t answer below feel free to ask here or you can pm me.

Background info:
I’m in the top 20% of my class. I have multiple publications in peer review journals. Passed boards first try. Decent amount of volunteer hours. Worked during pod school.

I go to Scholl so I had 7 elective rotation months prior to CRIP. I kept in touch with 4-5 of those programs on a monthly/bi-monthly basis based on how my month went and whether or not I thought that I would be happy there for residency. Honestly, I probably did a pretty poor job of keeping in touch most of the time as it’s just awkward as a student to reach out to busy residents. I continued to do this until around November when I focused my attention on 2 programs. I made a trip to visit one of these programs in November and both in December. At the end of my month and during my visits I repeated multiple times to my top choice that they were my #1 to residents and even the director. I never told the other program that they were my #1, instead I told them they were at the top of my list with one other program far ahead of every other program. Essentially I knew I’d be very happy at either program and they were truly 1A and 1B for me but I did not feel comfortable telling multiple programs that they were my #1.

I applied to interview at all of the programs that I spent a month at, including the core programs in Chicago that we are required to spend a month at. I was fortunate to be offered interviews to every program that I applied.

I had a lot of really positive feedback from both of my top choices from residents and attendings. After a lot of contemplation I decided that I would only interview at and rank my top 2 choices. Stupid? Yeah probably. But I felt very confident about both programs and it worked out for me. I would probably not recommend anyone repeat what I did with interviewing and ranking 2 programs but everyone has a different experience.

Like I mentioned before this is not the norm at all. I have a very good friend with a higher GPA and plenty of other crap on their application who interviewed at 10 programs and ranked 7.

Also keep in mind that some programs don’t attend CRIP. They either interview before, after or don’t interview at all. Some of these programs are known to contact their top choices and inform them where they are ranked. Typically this comes with the expectation of commitment to said program. This is technically against the rules of CRIP but it happens before, during and after CRIP. Programs play dirty. They want to know who they are getting and know that they won’t be scrambling but it’s stressful as a student when you’re cornered and put on the spot.

I am assuming you matched. And yes that’s stupid.

I am assuming you matched. And yes that’s stupid.

Yes I matched.

Like I mentioned more than once, I know this isn’t the norm but it also isn’t totally unheard of. I know 3 people that did not attend CRIP at all and only interviewed and ranked 1 program. All 3 matched. I was hesitant to share my experience but there isn’t a ton of info about match on here.

Just like some programs outright tell you where you rank or corner you into telling them where they rank just as many programs are completely silent about their rankings so that you have no idea until Friday at 1 ET.

To be honest the entire process is a mess. If programs and students just ranked as they saw appropriate there would be much less drama. But then programs could potentially scramble and that has a negative connotation so you have to play the stupid game.

Also, I worked my ass off in school to get the grades, hold leadership positions and publish research. Then I worked even harder during clerkships so that come January I would have my choice of program. It worked out for me. But it could have just as easily resulted in me scrambling. I would not have only interviewed and ranked 2 programs unless I knew where I stood with at least 1 of those programs.

Last edited:
Yes I matched.

Like I mentioned more than once, I know this isn’t the norm but it also isn’t totally unheard of. I know 3 people that did not attend CRIP at all and only interviewed and ranked 1 program. All 3 matched. I was hesitant to share my experience but there isn’t a ton of info about match on here.

Just like some programs outright tell you where you rank or corner you into telling them where they rank just as many programs are completely silent about their rankings so that you have no idea until Friday at 1 ET.

To be honest the entire process is a mess. If programs and students just ranked as they saw appropriate there would be much less drama. But then programs could potentially scramble and that has a negative connotation so you have to play the stupid game.

Also, I worked my ass off in school to get the grades, hold leadership positions and publish research. Then I worked even harder during clerkships so that come January I would have my choice of program. It worked out for me. But it could have just as easily resulted in me scrambling. I would not have only interviewed and ranked 2 programs unless I knew where I stood with at least 1 of those programs.

I know the process. We have all been through it. Congrats on not scrambling.

@dorsiflexor What kind of work did you do during school and how many hours a week was it? Did you do it through all four years?

Congratulations on matching!

So if you only want to apply east or west coast, you only have to stay for 3 days of CRIP? That's pretty interesting that podiatry gathers everyone up for CRIP, but I feel like you won't be able to see the hospital and see the residents, staff, neighborhood etc. Unless everyone basically goes where you externed

Congrats Dorsiflexor, but as already indicated your "ranking" strategy was hella-risky. You clearly did a good job playing the game up to that point(excelling in school, research, re-visiting programs) - now ask yourself, would you rather have your "pick" of the programs in the scramble above or a program you already visited. I ultimately hated a lot of the programs I visited so I could envision a person deciding they'd rather scramble than settle, but I don't think that strategy plays for most people. The scramble during my graduation year had more gems than the above (and basically all the same perennial programs of VAs and NYs). I'm not here to give you grief - the value of this forum is mostly our shared anecdotes. So here's my shared anecdote - tomorrow my program hopefully gets our #1. The person in question is reliable, kind, intelligent, teachable, gave a solid month, kept in contact, good grades, and made it clear to us repeatedly we were their #1. We had made it pretty clear to the student we thought they were great though our PD had never straight told them "you are #1". At the last second at interviews an attending tried to switch candidates because they liked another candidate's confidence. Ultimately we did not change ships, but for a moment I was certain we'd led a very nice person on. It was close and I'm sure interviews happened in Dallas in which fickle attendings decided 15 minutes in front of a panel was enough to change someone's rank. A classmate my year, I'm told, ranked only 1 program where he had put in months and months helping with research throughout school only to have them change their rank at the last second. Anyway, good luck to all tomorrow. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Reactions: 3 users
Like I mentioned more than once, I know this isn’t the norm but it also isn’t totally unheard of. I know 3 people that did not attend CRIP at all and only interviewed and ranked 1 program.
That’s actually what I did too. Stupid? Maybe. But I think it depends on the situation.

That’s an awful list of programs in the scramble (as a whole). 3-4 programs that I’ve heard good things about and then a bunch of NYC and VA spots.

Ranking 2 programs is most likely dumb. You should rank every program that you rotated at which you would be ok ending up at. If that is only two programs, then you really screwed up your externship selections. If you have the most basic understanding of how the match works, you would understand why only ranking 1, 2, or even 3 programs is an awful idea in virtually every case.

I was told that I was ranked top 2 at the program I ranked 1, the top of another program which I ranked second. I knew I wasn’t gonna get my #3 but ranked them anyway because I liked em and it wouldn’t hurt me at all. I wasn’t crazy about #4 or #5 but both offered great training and were better than 98% of what was in the scramble. I knew I was outside of those programs’ top 2 (which is how many they each took) but would have ended up at #5 had I fallen that far. I ranked a 6th program too. All despite the fact that I “knew” (assuming the program directors didn’t lie to my face) I wouldn’t fall past my second choice. But there’s that chance they were lying, or somehow being misleading, and there is no way in hell I would have preferred the scramble over 6 of the 7 programs I externed with. #7 was a VA through the school and I would have taken my chances in the scramble before going there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So did I. I’m in the 2019 match and I interviewed, ranked, and matched at 1 program.
I have no hard numbers obviously but just anecdotally I hear way more stories like yours and mine than I do about people only ranking 1 program and getting screwed over. I’m sure it happens and I’m sure some students read too much into programs when they say “We’re ranking you in the top.” I certainly don’t advocate students doing what I did. But I was told “We’re ranking you in the top 2. We have 2 spots so if you want to rank us #1 and avoid going to interviews, you could.” And I trusted the director who told me this face-to-face. And at this program, the director is the final word in ranking. So I skipped interviews, ranked 1 program, and lived life happily ever after...

you don't get one of the programs you want, so you have to scramble to find a spot at a program that went unfilled. lots of other factors that others can go into, but this is the concept. This is not unique to podiatry.

Does anyone know when schools will release their individual residency placement rates?

(As of 3/15) 2018 Unfilled Positions

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 4.13.35 PM.png

Does anyone have any inside scoop of residency placements at nycpm & scholl yet? Do you know anyone still unmatched at those two schools?

For some reason I often hear people talking about programs that are on the east coast. Don't think I have heard any info about programs in the midwest.

Are there any strong programs in midwest somewhere between Indiana and Colorado, Minnesota and Texas?

Sorry to be slightly off topic.