Match 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For some reason I often hear people talking about programs that are on the east coast. Don't think I have heard any info about programs in the midwest.

Are there any strong programs in midwest somewhere between Indiana and Colorado, Minnesota and Texas?

Sorry to be slightly off topic.

One of the guys I shadowed went to Jewish at Louisville and said great things about it. It was heavy in recon and he called it a "boys club" where they do cases all day and go out drinking at 4 AM. I looked into it more in the forums and most past students had positive comments. There's a list floating around here about good programs organized by region if you can find it, albeit it may not be as accurate for today's students, but it's something!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For some reason I often hear people talking about programs that are on the east coast. Don't think I have heard any info about programs in the midwest.

Are there any strong programs in midwest somewhere between Indiana and Colorado, Minnesota and Texas?

Sorry to be slightly off topic.
Regions in Minnesota with Bofelli is great program. Texas - JPS offers unique experience trauma/wounds heavy but prepares you better than probably anywhere to run a clinic coming out. West Houston has big surgery numbers. Colorado - PSL great attendings and experience. Indiana not sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the guys I shadowed went to Jewish at Louisville and said great things about it. It was heavy in recon and he called it a "boys club" where they do cases all day and go out drinking at 4 AM. I looked into it more in the forums and most past students had positive comments. There's a list floating around here about good programs organized by region if you can find it, albeit it may not be as accurate for today's students, but it's something!
Jewish is a boys club. If you end up being boys with current residents then its yours. If you don't click then don't waste your time. If your name is Chet and you went to auburn and wear boat shoes 24/7 and have maybe a seashell necklace then +1.

Reactions: 3 users
Regions in Minnesota with Bofelli is great program. Texas - JPS offers unique experience trauma/wounds heavy but prepares you better than probably anywhere to run a clinic coming out. West Houston has big surgery numbers. Colorado - PSL great attendings and experience. Indiana not sure.

PSL is an overrated program. Big numbers but never saw a resident do a case skin to skin when I was there.

Large podiatry egos. Lots of pimping.

The big name attendings work for an ortho group and they don’t want you messing up their patients. Lots of hype but was not impressed with resident cut time. Almost non existent if attending a didn’t like the resident.

There are better programs that will be more enjoyable and offer better hands on experience

Jewish is a boys club. If you end up being boys with current residents then its yours. If you don't click then don't waste your time. If your name is Chet and you went to auburn and wear boat shoes 24/7 and have maybe a seashell necklace then +1.

All true statements.

This is fun reminiscing about programs I had externed with back in the day. So happy to be done with that nonsense.

Does anyone have any insight on ny programs?

Huge thank you.

Reasons why students don't match?
- Overestimated
- Didn't rank enough places
- Red flag during clerks

Anything else?

PSL is an overrated program. Big numbers but never saw a resident do a case skin to skin when I was there.

Large podiatry egos. Lots of pimping.

The big name attendings work for an ortho group and they don’t want you messing up their patients. Lots of hype but was not impressed with resident cut time. Almost non existent if attending a didn’t like the resident.

There are better programs that will be more enjoyable and offer better hands on experience

100% agree. This program was all pimping and retracting. big numbers that were logged by residents who retracted the entire procedure and closed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other Midwest programs that I’ve heard good things about:
Grant
Community Health
Beaumont Wayne
Hennepin
Covenant (Iowa)
Norton

I’m sure there are others but these are places I’ve heard directly from friends that are great. I agree with the above statements about Regions, JPS, and PSL.

Other Midwest programs that I’ve heard good things about:
Grant
Community Health
Beaumont Wayne
Hennepin
Covenant (Iowa)
Norton

I’m sure there are others but these are places I’ve heard directly from friends that are great. I agree with the above statements about Regions, JPS, and PSL.
As I was leaving Norton was becoming a considerably better program than Jewish. Hennepin also good. Covenant has Dayton who is awesome but limited attendings. Grant you get Hyer but he is stretched so thin. Also was lots of old school attendings when I was there.
Again Bofelli and Regions is great . Bofelli is just awesome. I never went there but have friends who did and they are all super smart and confident and we'll trained.

Last edited:
Covenant has Dayton who is awesome but limited attendings.

Dayton is fine but the Waterloo residents don’t work with him, don’t think they ever did? He was at Fort Dodge but since he’s working in Des Moines now maybe those residents work with him?

Regions and Hennepin are both good. Cincinnati (two I believe?) programs offer good training. Waterloo/Covenant/Wheaton Fransiscan (system must have got bought...) is probably still the best program in Iowa. Jewish and Norton both offer good training in Louisville. JPS is the best program in TX though many won’t “fit” or like it. PSL can be good if the attendings like you, if not you will graduate only having watched surgery being done. The Northern Colorado program offers good training as well. I can’t keep all the Michigan programs straight anymore...

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure how I forgot but Ascension (previously Wheaton and Columbia St Mary’s) is a good program. Awesome attendings and they cover a ton of hospitals.

Why do you say that?

I have heard that out of the 30+ programs in NY..maybe 4-5 are worth spending the 3 years in like Northwell and the NYP system. Stay away from city hospitals like coney.

I also plan to match in NY in the future so will post about such programs then; just concentrate doing well in school for now.

Good list of programs already listed. Beaumont-Wayne is what the Oakwood program is now called I think and Dr. Fallat has a good program. Some residents don’t get along with him, but I enjoyed my month there. DMC isn’t mentioned nearly as often as when I was a student and from what I hear from a co-resident who is now an attending at a nearby program, there’s a reason for that. That same co-resident says HF Macomb has become more mediocre recently too. St. Mary Mercy is supposed to be decent as well.

Yes, I realize Michigan isn’t in the area that was originally asked about but oh well

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 7.34.37 PM.png

Any programs specifically or locations specifically?
Florida/Georgia. I'm new to this field and will be attending Barry from fall 2019 so I'm not familiar with programs. Any help will be appreciated!

Florida/Georgia. I'm new to this field and will be attending Barry from fall 2019 so I'm not familiar with programs. Any help will be appreciated!

Make friends with the upperclassmen. Research the forums. There is good information to be had.

Dekalb is the only worthwhile podiatry residency in Georgia and it’s similar to PSL. Lots of old school podiatry EGOs. Lots of pimping. Not a fun atmosphere to train in. Hands on training is ok but the crap you have to deal from attendings and senior residents does not make it worth it.

UF Shands @ Jacksonville is becoming really good, but it’s mostly Temple grads since the PD is a Temple grad himself. Palmetto is a big name and then there is Orlando. That’s all the FL ones I can think of and I learned this from one of the pods I shadowed who went to a good program. Hope this helps!

@dorsiflexor @DexterMorganSK What are the better programs within the Chicago area?

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on what a good program is. I’ve heard good things about Christ, Mercy and OSF which is outside Chicago. Masonic also has good training BUT you have to spend your entire first year at Stroger Cook County which is brutal.

South east programs I’ve heard/know positive things about are East Orlando, Westside Regional, Dekalb, Wake Forest, and Carilion.

I’ll be posting in the residency review forum once I get time. Also gathering some reviews from classmates so that I don’t completely lose my anonymity on here.

Reactions: 2 users
Students need to understand and self identify what they want to do in practice. Then target programs that will provide those training experiences. This requires a lot of leg work on the students part. Talk to everyone. Talk to your professors. Talk to your senior students at their school and pick their brains. If you are only a first or second year in school contact nearby residency programs you can drive to and ask to shadow for the day. Believe it or not most programs will be thrilled by your progressive thinking and willingness to learn the game earlier in your career. This will also give you a chance to talk to residents and pick their brains.

Obtain all these pieces of information and then make YOUR OWN DECISION.

Mercy in IL is the only worthwhile program with legit training. All the other IL programs suffer from the heavy ortho politics that dominates in Chicago.

Presence in Chicago is cool because you will do a lot of muscle flaps and external fixation but you won’t get good experience doing basic podiatry procedures or trauma. It’s not a typical podiatry training experience. This can be bad if you go somewhere to practice and the chief of ortho or the chief of surgery at the hospital stops you from doing muscle flaps. Now what are you going to do?

I would avoid Masonic. First year is at cook county and all you do is clip nails and be ortho’s b***h in the OR. Ortho has no respect for podiatry in the city of Chicago. Not friendly and it’s not worth your time kissing their butt.

Carillon has added some serious attendings in recent years. It’s a under the radar program that will offer you every procedure you can imagine.

All the Florida programs will be great training experiences because Florida is the Wild West. Podiatry laws are generous and podiatrists are doing everything down there. The politics against podiatry is not very strong either.

I would take a hard look at Jersey shore medical center. They have added some good attendings. I believe Justin Fleming has linked up with them when he left Aria and got a new ortho job in NJ.

Students need to understand and self identify what they want to do in practice. Then target programs that will provide those training experiences. This requires a lot of leg work on the students part. Talk to everyone. Talk to your professors. Talk to your senior students at their school and pick their brains. If you are only a first or second year in school contact nearby residency programs you can drive to and ask to shadow for the day. Believe it or not most programs will be thrilled by your progressive thinking and willingness to learn the game earlier in your career. This will also give you a chance to talk to residents and pick their brains.

Obtain all these pieces of information and then make YOUR OWN DECISION.

Mercy in IL is the only worthwhile program with legit training. All the other IL programs suffer from the heavy ortho politics that dominates in Chicago.

Presence in Chicago is cool because you will do a lot of muscle flaps and external fixation but you won’t get good experience doing basic podiatry procedures or trauma. It’s not a typical podiatry training experience. This can be bad if you go somewhere to practice and the chief of ortho or the chief of surgery at the hospital stops you from doing muscle flaps. Now what are you going to do?

I would avoid Masonic. First year is at cook county and all you do is clip nails and be ortho’s b***h in the OR. Ortho has no respect for podiatry in the city of Chicago. Not friendly and it’s not worth your time kissing their butt.

Carillon has added some serious attendings in recent years. It’s a under the radar program that will offer you every procedure you can imagine.

All the Florida programs will be great training experiences because Florida is the Wild West. Podiatry laws are generous and podiatrists are doing everything down there. The politics against podiatry is not very strong either.

I would take a hard look at Jersey shore medical center. They have added some good attendings. I believe Justin Fleming has linked up with them when he left Aria and got a new ortho job in NJ.

All great info, thank you.

Would you avoid programs like this: Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Residency (PMSR/RRA) | NYU Winthrop Hospital

It is fairly new and falls under the ortho dept at the hospital..just wondering what type of cases a DPM resident would get there!

All great info, thank you.

Would you avoid programs like this: Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Residency (PMSR/RRA) | NYU Winthrop Hospital

It is fairly new and falls under the ortho dept at the hospital..just wondering what type of cases a DPM resident would get there!

It partially depends on their relationship with Ortho and whether they rely on Ortho for their rearfoot numbers. Some programs that use Ortho for rearfoot cases can offer the podiatry residents good hands on training - many others use podiatry residents as retractor monkeys or overqualified shadows.

Probably my biggest challenge when choosing externships was determining whether the descriptions of training offered via CASPR/CRIP was nonsense or true. A lot of programs advertise their amazing surgical numbers, whereas they may fail to mention that those numbers are largely obtained with the residents essentially shadowing the case or retracting. Word of mouth or visiting the program directly was how I determined which programs were worth rotating through.

If you don't know anyone that's familiar with the program, I'd either visit or contact a resident and try to get a candid opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
It partially depends on their relationship with Ortho and whether they rely on Ortho for their rearfoot numbers. Some programs that use Ortho for rearfoot cases can offer the podiatry residents good hands on training - many others use podiatry residents as retractor monkeys.

Probably my biggest challenge when choosing externships was determining whether the descriptions of training offered via CASPR/CRIP was nonsense or true. A lot of programs advertise their amazing surgical numbers, whereas they may fail to mention that those numbers are largely obtained with the residents essentially shadowing the case or retracting. Word of mouth or visiting the program directly was how I determined which programs were worth rotating through.

If you don't know anyone that's familiar with the program, I'd either visit or contact a resident and try to get a candid opinion.

All true statements. Very sound advice.

To echo some of the previous sentiments...

As far as Midwest programs go, Norton, Mercy, Regions, Grant, Hennepin, and Ascension are the better programs that you’ll come across. I’ve also heard good things about St. Mary Mercy Livonia in Michigan and St. Joseph’s in Indiana, although that’s secondhand info.

As for east coast, Carillon is rapidly becoming a really solid program, and JFK, Florida East Orlando, and UF Jacksonville are pretty good Florida programs.

If you’re looking to go to Texas, JPS is solid, but I’d highly recommend externing there if you’re interested because it’s a very unique program with a sink or swim mentality. It’s definitely not for everybody (probably not for most people), but if you can thrive in their environment then you’ll become a good surgeon. And for PSL, agreed that it’s definitey overrated...they have big names there that won’t hand over the knife, and you never see your post ops as there is zero clinic time.

I don't know anything about this program. Pick up the phone and call and ask to speak with a resident.

It partially depends on their relationship with Ortho and whether they rely on Ortho for their rearfoot numbers. Some programs that use Ortho for rearfoot cases can offer the podiatry residents good hands on training - many others use podiatry residents as retractor monkeys or overqualified shadows.

Thanks to you both, spoke to 2 residents today from the program and heard good things about it..very hands-on.
Will probably do an away in the future.

Any thoughts/insight on Inova or Medstar?

Last edited:
A lot of bad programs on this list. There is a reason they don’t fill their spots
Aventura, St. Francis (CT), and Womack are probably the only 3 that I have heard anything positive about. Others all negative or nothing at all.

This needs to be the motto for Barry's student recruitment efforts. This, and/or "Barry University- Well, we're in Miami"

Scholl list that I know off the top of my head:

Asenscion
Beaumont Wayne x 2
Henry Ford Macomb
St. John Macomb
DMC
Medstar x2
Community
St. Vincent’s (Indy)
Regions
Norton
DePaul (St Louis)
Beth Isreal
Advocate Christ x2
Advocate Masonic x3
Grant
UPMC x2
West Penn x2
Rush x3
Kaiser Santa Clara
Wake Forest
PSL
Mercy (Chicago) x2
Tucson VA
Madison VA
Baltimore VA
Denver VA
San Fran VA
Seattle VA
UTSA
Franciscan (Hammond, Indiana)
Intermountain Health
Scripps Encinitas
Swedish (Seattle)
Swedish (Chicago) x2
Norwegian (Chicago)
St. Joseph’s (Chicago)
OSF x2

What would be considered the best programs in Michigan? I am originally from there and I would like to see what programs would be worth looking into? Thanks!

What would be considered the best programs in Michigan? I am originally from there and I would like to see what programs would be worth looking into? Thanks!

DMC is the traditional big name, but I keep hearing that ortho has been taking an increasingly larger portion of the trauma and that they struggled to get rearfoot cases.

I'd look into St. Mary's, St. John (not macomb), and Henry Ford (not wyandotte)...

DMC is the traditional big name, but I keep hearing that ortho has been taking an increasingly larger portion of the trauma and that they struggled to get rearfoot cases.

I'd look into St. Mary's, St. John (not macomb), and Henry Ford (not wyandotte)...

Beaumont Wayne has been getting a lot of attention from Scholl lately.
:thumbup: Those are the programs that are consistently thought of as being the better programs in Michigan. St. Mary’s is the newest of these programs. St. John’s was one of the first 3-year programs so a lot of attendings or directors from other programs graduated from there. Henry Ford Macomb has been around probably 12 years or so now and it sounds like it has plateaued. Beaumont Wayne has been strong for as long as I can remember.