Match Lists 2015!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A lot of people are from Cali and it's what they know. Same reason people who have never lived outside of a major city can't see themselves in a mid sized town.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do peeps like the west coast more than the southern east coast? :eyebrow:

ie: miami etc

There are a lot of people from the region (ie population dense).
People tend to like their roots.

Also:

Dry heat > Muggy

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have Kentucky or Indiana's? They are not publicly available..

Last edited:
Why do peeps like the west coast more than the southern east coast? :eyebrow:

ie: miami etc
Because the whole region from Virginia Beach VA to Homestead FL and beyond to Brownsville TX has terrible weather, poor politics, high crime, backwards thinking population, oil spills, major hurricanes, and of course guns guns guns. Definitely nobody should apply there. Not even as a backup.

At least, do not apply to the SE region in 2016 pls.

Reactions: 8 users
Dude, what's your ish? Chill out, brah. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything.

shhh
Bascom really helps with those 17 ophtho matches, apparently.

so people go to the medical school with the intent of matching into optho? I have a hard time imaging they got 17 people that interested in the eye

shhh

so people go to the medical school with the intent of matching into optho? I have a hard time imaging they got 17 people that interested in the eye
I could see it. Make ophtho part of a core rotation, be nice to the medical students while on the service, show off the good lifestyle and high pay, and 17 students decide they were born to be ophthalmologists.

Reactions: 2 users

But not a single student matched at the home program. I have a hard time believing not one person wanted to stay....more likely they wanted students from more "prestigious" schools

I could see it. Make ophtho part of a core rotation, be nice to the medical students while on the service, show off the good lifestyle and high pay, and 17 students decide they were born to be ophthalmologists.

It's kind of funny (and sad) how so much of med students' specialty decision making is determined by interactions with residents and attendings over a brief 4-8 week rotation than the actual work itself. Looking back for example, OB/GYN was the rotation that I liked the most subject-matter wise but had some pretty crappy residents and attendings and that just turned me off from the specialty.

Reactions: 3 users
Jeff had 20 people match into Ortho and 18 into Ophtho, not surprising with Rothman and Wills Eye Hospital

Because the whole region from Virginia Beach VA to Homestead FL and beyond to Brownsville TX has terrible weather, poor politics, high crime, backwards thinking population, oil spills, major hurricanes, and of course guns guns guns. Definitely nobody should apply there. Not even as a backup.

At least, do not apply to the SE region in 2016 pls.

Agreed. New Orleans is a terrible, no good place and no one should ever apply to such horrible place. Ever. Unless it's after 2018. I'm sure things will be fine by then.

Wasn't there a U Penn who did gen surg at Yale?

This is large? I must have gone to a large med school, because my class size was around 225... I thought that was normal.

My school is usually ~148

My class was the "largest" in school history with ~160.

Mayo has like 50 in their class, iirc. :eek:
Guess it just depends on the school.

University of Maryland 2015 Match List

Anesthesiology
Pittsburgh
OHSU
Duke
Maryland
UPenn
Yale
Johns Hopkins
UVa

Emergency Medicine
GW
Christiana
Christiana
Washington Hopsital Center
Christiana
Beth Israel
York
York
NYP-Cornell
Maryland
GW
OHSU
Hackensack

Ophthalmology
Maryland
Maryland
Georgetown

Medicine
Cleveland Clinic
Johns Hopkins
Indiana
Mt Auburn
Maryland
Maryland
Cooper
Wisconsin
Georgetown
Maryland
Colorado
Maryland
California Pacific
Maryland
Washington Hospital Center
Thomas Jefferson
Maryland
Maryland
Maryland
GW
UCLA-Olive View
Maryland
Wake Forest
Yale
NYP-Cornell
Brown
Brown
Brown
Pittsburgh
Temple
Maryland
Loyola
BU
USC
Inova Fairfax

Urology
Georgetown
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Cooper

Physical Medicine
UVa
VCU
National Rehab
National Rehab

Family Medicine
Maryland
UNC
OHSU
O’Connor
Franklin Square
Banner Good Sam
Naval
Mt. Sinai
Pittsburgh
Womack
Einstein/Montefiore
Fort Belvoir
UPenn
UCSF

Peds
Maryland
Johns Hopkins
Maryland
Florida
Georgetown
Children’s National
Tulane
Children’s Hospital LA
Northwestern
VCU
NYP-Columbia
EVMS
Hurley
Duke
UNC

Ortho
Maryland
Maryland
Jackson Memorial
UCSF

Rad
Pittsburgh
Emory
NY Presbyterian-Columbia
Baylor
Baptist Health
Jackson Memorial
Maryland
UCSF

Psychiatry
VCU
Maryland
Maryland
Mayo
Georgetown
Thomas Jefferson
Cincinnati (Combined Family Psych)
Johns Hopkins
Maryland

Derm
Duke
VCU
UCI

Surgery
NY Presbyterian-Cornell
Pittsburgh
Brown
UNC
BU
EVMS

Neurosurgery

Maryland

ENT
UVa
Jackson Memorial
Maryland

Rad Onc
Maryland
Maryland

Med Peds
Geisinger
Georgetown
UIC
VCU
UPenn
Maryland

Plastic
Northwestern
North Shore-LIJ

Obgyn
Albany
Drexel
BU

Pathology
Maryland
Beth Israel Deaconess

Neurology
UVa

Not a particularly high-paying specialty. Decent lifestyle, though.

But not a single student matched at the home program. I have a hard time believing not one person wanted to stay....more likely they wanted students from more "prestigious" schools

You beat me to it. I was kinda surprised Bascom did not take anyone from Miami. It will be interesting to see where their residents are coming from this year. I have only seen two so far - one from Penn, and the other one from Harvard.

That's one of the nice things about bascom. They are not as inbred as wills, wilmer etc. another bascom kid is from wisconsin

Not a particularly high-paying specialty. Decent lifestyle, though.
Ophtho is a pretty high paying specialty... Especially retina. Even general ophtho has very high patient volume, plenty of in-office procedures (intra vit. injections, lasers, excisions) and cataract surgery can be done in about 10 minutes, 15-20 cataracts before noon is the norm... the $ adds up. Not to mention there are a vast amount of elective procedures (and elective add-ons to cataract sx) to be done in the field as well.

No... its not the #1 paying specialty lol but there is a pot of gold to be had in ophthalmology. (and the on-call isn't too bad, very few things require immediate treatment/intervention).

go ophtho!

Ophtho is a pretty high paying specialty... Especially retina. Even general ophtho has very high patient volume, plenty of in-office procedures (intra vit. injections, lasers, excisions) and cataract surgery can be done in about 10 minutes, 15-20 cataracts before noon is the norm... the $ adds up. Not to mention there are a vast amount of elective procedures (and elective add-ons to cataract sx) to be done in the field as well.

No... its not the #1 paying specialty lol but there is a pot of gold to be had in ophthalmology. (and the on-call isn't too bad, very few things require immediate treatment/intervention).

go ophtho!

It's also a specialty with enormous overhead. And the starting salaries are pretty darned low. Read the ophtho forums. It's a good specialty, but there are easier (and less competitive) ways to make money in medicine nowadays.

It's also a specialty with enormous overhead. And the starting salaries are pretty darned low. Read the ophtho forums. It's a good specialty, but there are easier (and less competitive) ways to make money in medicine nowadays.

Agreed. Half that forum is bemoaning the sub-$100k starting salaries in many markets. Ophtho also has a problem of major over-saturation in major markets.

Not saying it's not a good field, but the $$ you see a lot of older docs making isn't going to be there for newly minted ophthos.

Reactions: 1 users
Good points sir. If you aren't in an affluent area also then those elective procedures become scarce.

Any thoughts on why some US grads don't match? Is this usually an unrealistic/bad strategy or just a really, really weak application?

I know a few people who had to repeat MS3 and still matched, so I don't understand why every year there's ~4% who don't match after SOAP. Step 1 = 205 applying to only coastal ortho programs?