You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
May 2014 MCATers United
Started by TheAnonymous
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm on the same boat as you. Registered for May8th, haven't started anything except Orgo (currently doing chapter 5) + verbal. I haven't started Gchem or Physics... and I'm pretty much self studying 100% ... I don't remember anything from pre-reqs...
I hope that's enough time.
What score are you guys aiming for?
I have noticed that many people on 30+ Mcat study habits have studied for about 3 months and was very successful (33+). Maybe we are ok?
I'm aiming for 33+
I hate how I take such a long time with tbr chapters lol
anything that is >30 then I am ok hahaha. you? how is orgo and VR? get much done today?
Not really, I've got a cold and didn't get much done today (still on TBR Orgo). I'm gonna spend an hour or 2 tonight and finish this chapter...
hopefully will start Chapter 6 tomorrow!
I have noticed that many people on 30+ Mcat study habits have studied for about 3 months and was very successful (33+). Maybe we are ok?
I'm aiming for 33+
I hate how I take such a long time with tbr chapters lol
I'm aiming for 33+ too ! But I need at least an 8 or a 9 in VR !
indeed ! TBR Chapters (only orgo so far) take me a long time! Maybe that's because I'm starting from scratch with zero background on oChem?
Are you following SN2ED? When are you going to start taking the FLs?
I hope I can finish content review by the first week of March and start taking FLs March (will start with Kaplan ones)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is a long chapter. It takes me a long time too.
i mean to say their chapters are long....lol
very long indeed...i mean to say their chapters are long....lol
If you feel comfortable enough then I say go for it.should I still register for may 8? A lot of spots in my area are disappearing. but I also don't want to spend that 65 to postpone the date
It would be pretty risky to wait for another month right?If you feel comfortable enough then I say go for it.
It would be pretty risky to wait for another month right?
I think May 8th is the best time cause then you have about a month to do the primaries and submit them on time
having said that, I might push it back to the 31st because orgo has been a challenge for me and I'm already behind my schedule ...
You know I'm wondering the same thing too. I have heard that the later you submit you app the lesser chance you got. I don't know how true this is. I know that for my state school they don't do rolling acceptance. But then I heard that things have chance. So I don't really know lol.It would be pretty risky to wait for another month right?
You know I'm wondering the same thing too. I have heard that the later you submit you app the lesser chance you got. I don't know how true this is. I know that for my state school they don't do rolling acceptance. But then I heard that things have chance. So I don't really know lol.
I would personally say May31st is the last date to take it and not to be considered "late".
Writing it in /July/August is considered late
As in submit it to the schools? When do you plan on submitting yours?I would personally say May31st is the last date to take it and not to be considered "late".
Writing it in /July/August is considered late
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Right i think what @TheAnonymous meant is latest for MCAT test is May 31, cause then you'll get it back around June and then submit your AMCAS ASAPwell actually I was talking about finding seat for the exam, not for turning in apps lol.
Right i think what @TheAnonymous meant is latest for MCAT test is May 31, cause then you'll get it back around June and then submit your AMCAS ASAP
Yes I was referring to AMCAS.
My goal is to submit the primaries within the first week they open but that's assuming I do well on the AAMC FLs, I write the MCAT, I don't void it, and I do fairly well on it lol
lol, if you dont postpone the testYes I was referring to AMCAS.
My goal is to submit the primaries within the first week they open but that's assuming I do well on the AAMC FLs, I write the MCAT, I don't void it, and I do fairly well on it lol
lol, if you dont postpone the test
If I score low on the AAMCs ---->

If I score low on the AAMCs ---->![]()
Then you just postpone it...no big deal 🙁
Then you just postpone it...no big deal 🙁
I want to be over with this exam man...

I dont think anyone of us enjoy being torture like this hahha....I want to be over with this exam man...![]()
I was staring at this limiting reagent for the longest time and still dont get it, damn i am getting more and more stupid.
Signed up for the May 31 st exam as well.Started studying in mid December and using BR for ochem Gen chem and physics and took a practice test as well to see where I was at. I already can tell that the BR passages have been extremely helpful to me and highly recommend their books.
Totally agree with this, I tried Kaplan and I couldnt stand it....enjoying TBR quite more than i shouldSigned up for the May 31 st exam as well.Started studying in mid December and using BR for ochem Gen chem and physics and took a practice test as well to see where I was at. I already can tell that the BR passages have been extremely helpful to me and highly recommend their books.
I think I know what you mean.
Do you recommend doing this for EK101 too? Or just AAMC?
Personally, I did it for the AAMC ones...but if you can juggle it with EK 101...thats up to you. I just love the computer version that paper.
ohhhhhh you can?
Yes u can...
MORE ADVZ ON VERBAL....
here is some poster back in the days on how he earned a 15...not much said...but pretty much...***read, read read***
QUOTE:
I got a 15 V (certified verbal god). I agree that 11 or 12 is a more realistic goal, but if you are really on top of things in PS and BS, maybe you can get a bit higher. The only advice that works is to read lots. Don't worry about reading boring crap, read stuff you like to start with (make sure it is on a high level). Then, when you are making 11 or 12 on the AAMC tests, move on to the boring crap.
How I got a 15: I have a wide range of interests so 99% of passages are of SOME interest to me. Besides that, I'd say luck was what got me the last 2 or 3 points.
One caveat to all this crap I typed: if you don't like to read, forget about making 13-15 on verbal and just try to get 10 or 11 and then save your 15's for the sciences.
Marvin O'Connor, Jul 12, 2004
END QUOTE:
here is some poster back in the days on how he earned a 15...not much said...but pretty much...***read, read read***
QUOTE:
I got a 15 V (certified verbal god). I agree that 11 or 12 is a more realistic goal, but if you are really on top of things in PS and BS, maybe you can get a bit higher. The only advice that works is to read lots. Don't worry about reading boring crap, read stuff you like to start with (make sure it is on a high level). Then, when you are making 11 or 12 on the AAMC tests, move on to the boring crap.
How I got a 15: I have a wide range of interests so 99% of passages are of SOME interest to me. Besides that, I'd say luck was what got me the last 2 or 3 points.
One caveat to all this crap I typed: if you don't like to read, forget about making 13-15 on verbal and just try to get 10 or 11 and then save your 15's for the sciences.
Marvin O'Connor, Jul 12, 2004
END QUOTE:
MORE ADVZ ON VERBAL....
here is some poster back in the days on how he earned a 15...not much said...but pretty much...***read, read read***
QUOTE:
I got a 15 V (certified verbal god). I agree that 11 or 12 is a more realistic goal, but if you are really on top of things in PS and BS, maybe you can get a bit higher. The only advice that works is to read lots. Don't worry about reading boring crap, read stuff you like to start with (make sure it is on a high level). Then, when you are making 11 or 12 on the AAMC tests, move on to the boring crap.
How I got a 15: I have a wide range of interests so 99% of passages are of SOME interest to me. Besides that, I'd say luck was what got me the last 2 or 3 points.
One caveat to all this crap I typed: if you don't like to read, forget about making 13-15 on verbal and just try to get 10 or 11 and then save your 15's for the sciences.
Marvin O'Connor, Jul 12, 2004
END QUOTE:
I NEVER read ----






Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But I personally don't think start reading a few months before the exam can help at all....
I've seen so many people attributing their high VR score to their reading habit but I haven't seen a lot of people saying they improved their score from a 6-7 to 9-10 simply by starting to read a few months before the exam.
I've seen so many people attributing their high VR score to their reading habit but I haven't seen a lot of people saying they improved their score from a 6-7 to 9-10 simply by starting to read a few months before the exam.
I agree too. TBR passages are just amazing, the explanations are very helpful. for those of you doing content and passages, about how many passages are u guys averaging a day?
Generally I read a chapter and do the first third passages. The Gen Chem book splits the passages up for you and I go over my wrong answers. I will save the other passages for later and will most likely go through them a couple times.
But I personally don't think start reading a few months before the exam can help at all....
I've seen so many people attributing their high VR score to their reading habit but I haven't seen a lot of people saying they improved their score from a 6-7 to 9-10 simply by starting to read a few months before the exam.
You are def. rite...u can't start now and hope for big improvements...but it doesn't hurt if you are really bad at it. Any step forward is a possible point up.
my friend said she didnt think it was very useful.I'm thinking about enroll In a Kaplan online course. My tax refund should cover it. Good or bad idea? Could it hurt or maybe overkill? I already have all TBR materials
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder if there is any course that is beneficial. I'm always hearing mixed opinions.my friend said she didnt think it was very useful.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I say stick to the TBR lolI wonder if there is any course that is beneficial. I'm always hearing mixed opinions.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to start TBR Orgo Chapter 6 in an hour .... oh dear 

What do you think is best to do for a weak area like Ochem? I feel like TBR glosses over a bunch of topics and assumes we have a solid foundationI say stick to the TBR lol
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I watch Khan's academy videos and I found them very useful!What do you think is best to do for a weak area like Ochem? I feel like TBR glosses over a bunch of topics and assumes we have a solid foundation
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Super Bowl Weekend guys!!!
😀😀😀
😀😀😀
I'm with you May MCATers ,,, I'm registered for May 8 test ,,,, I'm aiming for 33+
I'm very good in bio & orgo (solid background) but I'm awful in verbal (ESL) and very bad in physics & okay in gen chem!
I'm using all Kaplan books for content review ,,, I don't recommend their course as it was horrible and not helpful ,,, I don't even like their practice tests as they were much harder than the real one & their verbal was much easier than the real test!
However, I'm using their science books as I'm not willing to spend more money but for verbal I'm using EK101 & TPRH verbal ,,,, I'm starting with physics review & 2-3 passages a day of verbal (bad start for verbal but hope will improve with time)!
Good luck to all of us!
I'm very good in bio & orgo (solid background) but I'm awful in verbal (ESL) and very bad in physics & okay in gen chem!
I'm using all Kaplan books for content review ,,, I don't recommend their course as it was horrible and not helpful ,,, I don't even like their practice tests as they were much harder than the real one & their verbal was much easier than the real test!
However, I'm using their science books as I'm not willing to spend more money but for verbal I'm using EK101 & TPRH verbal ,,,, I'm starting with physics review & 2-3 passages a day of verbal (bad start for verbal but hope will improve with time)!
Good luck to all of us!
Honestly the only reason i did well in organic chemistry was by watching freelance-teacher.com. He really is amazing. The only thing is that his videos are longer than Khan Academy's but he was more in depth with his them. Khan Academy is really good too.What do you think is best to do for a weak area like Ochem? I feel like TBR glosses over a bunch of topics and assumes we have a solid foundation
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is it going? How long does it usually take you to finish each chapter? I haven't started ochem but just looking at how long some of the chapters are just makes me lazy. I just finished ochem last semester so i feel its a bit fresh in my memory, i was thinking of watching chad's videos and then focusing on passages since i want to focus more on passages than on content really.I'm going to start TBR Orgo Chapter 6 in an hour .... oh dear![]()
How is it going? How long does it usually take you to finish each chapter? I haven't started ochem but just looking at how long some of the chapters are just makes me lazy. I just finished ochem last semester so i feel its a bit fresh in my memory, i was thinking of watching chad's videos and then focusing on passages since i want to focus more on passages than on content really.
If you just finished ochem you are going to be fine. I basically have zero background in orgo and self-studying from scratch so it has been difficult and time consuming.... chapters take me 5-6 hours to read but more than 1 day to really understand... it's been really difficult for me...
having no science background makes me spend a lot of time just on content and that's awful
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, thanks for the tip. I'll def check his stuff outHonestly the only reason i did well in organic chemistry was by watching freelance-teacher.com. He really is amazing. The only thing is that his videos are longer than Khan Academy's but he was more in depth with his them. Khan Academy is really good too.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hang in there. on a positive note you are almost done with ochem.If you just finished ochem you are going to be fine. I basically have zero background in orgo and self-studying from scratch so it has been difficult and time consuming.... chapters take me 5-6 hours to read but more than 1 day to really understand... it's been really difficult for me...
having no science background makes me spend a lot of time just on content and that's awful
hang in there. on a positive note you are almost done with ochem.
thanks bud...
hopefully by the time you start ochem I've finished it and can help out
Question for you verbal pros out there. English is my second language so verbal is a real weakness for me. My current strategy is to just read the passage in 3 min and then 2-3min to answer the questions. I get 5-7/7 if it's a passage that's somewhat interesting and 4-5/7 if it's boring or super convoluted. Do you guys just read the passage without taking notes? I'm wondering how I can improve when I don't really have a strategy. I'm just shooting for a 10. Any tips guys?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey MCATers ,,, anyone knows how to copy the 3 month calendar to google calendar & shift the dates for my MCAT day?!
I'm following my own schedule but I would like to take some of the mixing between subjects & when to start taking full lengths!
I'm following my own schedule but I would like to take some of the mixing between subjects & when to start taking full lengths!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K