You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
May 2014 MCATers United
Started by TheAnonymous
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yea trust me i did that last summer and it didn't work at all for me at all. So this time around, i will focus on doing content and doing as many practice passages as i can together otherwise i'm not drilling it into my head as much as i should. Plus you get used to mcat style questions quick. So i'm most likely taking mine sometime june, if i do well enough on my practice tests, i might push it up to may 31 st but wanted to join this thread for motivation guys. I hope that's ok. Right now i started physics over again but just didn't understand it well enough so i ordered nova physics to supplement it with tbr plus i have wikipremed flashcards. So right now i'm doing Gen chem. Just finished the equilibrium chapter.
I'm going to start taking my FLs at the beginning of February. Will use Kaplan, TBR and AAMCs
you are going to be ahead of us, I will start taking them early march 🙂 let us know how the FLs go!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How's studying going everyone? i haven't done anything these 2 days (busy with my research stuff) but ill start tomorrow again... I haven't touched verbal for 3 days 🙁
I will finish chapter 5 orgo TBR and try to start chapter 6 (I'm already weeks behind my schedule!!!!)
I will finish chapter 5 orgo TBR and try to start chapter 6 (I'm already weeks behind my schedule!!!!)
Is anyone else here reading TBR Orgo?
I hate orgo man
I hate orgo man
Tonight was a little ruff did several biological passages.....have to improve with Organic. Got a little discouraged :-( will start my FLs last Sunday in February if I stay on schedule lol
Are you using TBR? which passages?
don't get discouraged bud, we still have several months! Remember that it's supposed to be hard! its supposed to make you feel ****, don't get discouraged!!
Ya, I hate it, and understand half of itIs anyone else here reading TBR Orgo?
I hate orgo man
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's something you don't hear everyday, lol.Just did a **** ton of chem and physics today. Got 14s on first two chapters of TBR. It's the only stuff I look forward to studying lol
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just did a **** ton of chem and physics today. Got 14s on first two chapters of TBR. It's the only stuff I look forward to studying lol
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keep it up! I thought I would be finished with orgo by now but im still on chapter 5... I will start TBR physic and gchem in around 7 days ... I also look forward to those... I feel more confident doing physics and gchem than orgo.....
That's something you don't hear everyday, lol.
I have my weak points but damn it feels good when u get the stuff you know right 🙂
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm jumping on it hahahaha. Orgo isn't too bad. Physics and VR ;(Is anyone else here reading TBR Orgo?
I hate orgo man
I'm jumping on it hahahaha. Orgo isn't too bad. Physics and VR ;(
Don't get me started on VR!

I haven't done any verbal over the past 3 days... will do 4 passages tomorrow and see how it goes 😀 ...... EK test #4 here I come

Is anyone else doing EK101 right now?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm doing ek101. So do you do all passages in one test or you do 2 per day! My avg is like 66% a passage 🙁Don't get me started on VR!
I haven't done any verbal over the past 3 days... will do 4 passages tomorrow and see how it goes 😀 ...... EK test #4 here I come
Is anyone else doing EK101 right now?
I'm doing ek101. So do you do all passages in one test or you do 2 per day! My avg is like 66% a passage 🙁
I do 3-4 passages a day and when done with a test add them up and see my score....
which # are you on? I finished EK the first 3.
%66 translates to an 8 !
That's bad right? I'm on the first passage of the first test. Ek 101 and 2 passbe on tpr hyper active.I do 3-4 passages a day and when done with a test add them up and see my score....
which # are you on? I finished EK the first 3.
%66 translates to an 8 !
That's bad right? I'm on the first passage of the first test. Ek 101 and 2 passbe on tpr hyper active.
youve done only 1 passage so far? lol
I will start TPR once I'm done with EK
I personally would take 8 and run and never look back lol
Oh no I've done like 6 of them so far. 3 diagnostic passages and that and then 4 from TPR. Really? What's your avg?youve done only 1 passage so far? lol
I will start TPR once I'm done with EK
I personally would take 8 and run and never look back lol
Oh no I've done like 6 of them so far. 3 diagnostic passages and that and then 4 from TPR. Really? What's your avg?
Mine is ~60% (~7)
That's pretty good. It depends on the day. Sometimes it's a 70% sometimes it's a 30% 🙁Mine is ~60% (~7)
That's cool do a couple and then add them up!
Do you have a method or something?
lol I'm getting 7s .. its probably best not to listen to my advice lool
Let's hear it bro.lol I'm getting 7s .. its probably best not to listen to my advice lool
Let's hear it bro.
lol obviously i don't have a method otherwise I would be scoring 9s and 10s lol
I think I'm just getting stupider and stupider each day. Do you take notes whilst reading?lol obviously i don't have a method otherwise I would be scoring 9s and 10s lol
I think I'm just getting stupider and stupider each day. Do you take notes whilst reading?
Well I've just been doing orgo and yes for orgo I do take notes so I can just study my notes instead of referring back.... not sure if I would do the same for physics and gchem ... definitely not bio
what is your logic for that? Just wonderin'Well I've just been doing orgo and yes for orgo I do take notes so I can just study my notes instead of referring back.... not sure if I would do the same for physics and gchem ... definitely not bio
Do you have a method or something?
How about this...sorry to step in here. I have been here before. Here goes a little method that i keep on testing out...so you guys can play lab rat for me.
Take whatever you guys are doing...passages:
Do them the first time and score them only...don't review.
Do them the second time and score them only...don't review the answers (but this time around check and see if your thinking has changed from your 1st round answers)
Do them the third time and score them only...don't review the answers again. (this time...you will see a trend; possibly you might resort to the same answers or change em for whatever reason).
Do them the forth time and score them with a review of the given correct answers. ***As you review the answers...be keen to taking note of question stems and what not...pick out how a question is framed and how the correct answer is justified*** Soon you will pick up on how the testers always seem to frame the same style of questions for different passages.
Tell us all if it works.
P.S: You should be working your way up from the 7s to 8s to definite 9s. This by the way is not coming from the fact that you have seen the problem before, but whether you are getting in tuned with the question stems.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How about this...sorry to step in here. I have been here before. Here goes a little method that i keep on testing out...so you guys can play lab rat for me.
Take whatever you guys are doing...passages:
Do them the first time and score them only...don't review.
Do them the second time and score them only...don't review the answers (but this time around check and see if your thinking has changed from your 1st round answers)
Do them the third time and score them only...don't review the answers again. (this time...you will see a trend; possibly you might resort to the same answers or change em for whatever reason).
Do them the forth time and score them with a review of the given correct answers. ***As you review the answers...be keen to taking note of question stems and what not...pick out how a question is framed and how the correct answer is justified*** Soon you will pick up on how the testers always seem to frame the same style of questions for different passages.
.
Does it work for you? so when you do more than once, I assumed that you only answer the questions, but dont reread the entire passage right?`
Does it work for you? so when you do more than once, I assumed that you only answer the questions, but dont reread the entire passage right?`
It worked for me...i saw an upward trend. ( It cud get you a little big headed: once you figure it out...its like scoring less than 10s on FLs just sucks)
2. No, i reread the passage even though by this time my memory has it locked in...(so i know what is coming)...but i still re-read it just in case i missed something before.
Oh that is good! so basically you do it four time and re read the passage each and every single time. You only look at the answers on the fourth time. coolIt worked for me...i saw an upward trend. ( It cud get you a little big headed: once you figure it out...its like scoring less than 10s on FLs just sucks)
2. No, i reread the passage even though by this time my memory has it locked in...(so i know what is coming)...but i still re-read it just in case i missed something before.
Oh that is good! so basically you do it four time and re read the passage each and every single time. You only look at the answers on the fourth time. cool
YES!
&&---remember...your gonna run out of VR passages anyway, so use em as much as you can to change those outcomes.---&&
In on this...been hitting NOVA Physics hard then on to my TBR books. How do %'s correct break down on VR relative to score...I'm using passages from the TPR In-Class Compendium right now just to start on VR and have been doing 3-5/day I'm in the 79-92% range on them when I add up 7 at a time...seems to depend immensely on if I take them while really concentrating or not.
In on this...been hitting NOVA Physics hard then on to my TBR books. How do %'s correct break down on VR relative to score...I'm using passages from the TPR In-Class Compendium right now just to start on VR and have been doing 3-5/day I'm in the 79-92% range on them when I add up 7 at a time...seems to depend immensely on if I take them while really concentrating or not.
nice job.
that's definitely 10+ on the scale..
I barely can pass 7-8 on VR lol
as @ChemNerd07 said, this ****z is voodoo...lolnice job.
that's definitely 10+ on the scale..
I barely can pass 7-8 on VR lol
YES!
&&---remember...your gonna run out of VR passages anyway, so use em as much as you can to change those outcomes.---&&
I think I know what you mean.
Do you recommend doing this for EK101 too? Or just AAMC?
AAMC? what? am i missing something?I think I know what you mean.
Do you recommend doing this for EK101 too? Or just AAMC?
Aamc has practice MCATs you can buy.AAMC? what? am i missing something?
but those are timed arent they?Aamc has practice MCATs you can buy.
I'm pretty sure you can do tutor mode where it isn't timed. Unless that was the Kaplan FLs. I know you can break AAMC into sections and take each section individually. I did that for a bit right before my exam.but those are timed arent they?
ohhhhhh you can?I'm pretty sure you can do tutor mode where it isn't timed. Unless that was the Kaplan FLs. I know you can break AAMC into sections and take each section individually. I did that for a bit right before my exam.
Verbal is voodoo. I've gotten 4 6 7 8 3 5 in that order. It's never been consistent.
ohhhhhh you can?
you can but that would be a huge waste of money ... AAMC PDFs are out there somewhere, the whole point of purchasing them is to get the test day feel lol
you can buy AAMC Self Assessment, those are not timed...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Send them to me? lolyou can but that would be a huge waste of money ... AAMC PDFs are out there somewhere, the whole point of purchasing them is to get the test day feel lol
you can buy AAMC Self Assessment, those are not timed...
hello so I am also thinking about doing may 8 mcat. do you think studying from now until then is good enough time? I just finished going through 2nd TBR gen chem book and I am only taking 10 credits this semester. I haven't looked at my prereqs since 2011 or 2012.
hello so I am also thinking about doing may 8 mcat. do you think studying from now until then is good enough time? I just finished going through 2nd TBR gen chem book and I am only taking 10 credits this semester. I haven't looked at my prereqs since 2011 or 2012.
I'm on the same boat as you. Registered for May8th, haven't started anything except Orgo (currently doing chapter 5) + verbal. I haven't started Gchem or Physics... and I'm pretty much self studying 100% ... I don't remember anything from pre-reqs...
I hope that's enough time.
What score are you guys aiming for?
Last edited:
anything that is >30 then I am ok hahaha. you? how is orgo and VR? get much done today?I'm on the same boat as you. Registered for May8th, haven't started anything except Orgo (currently doing chapter 5) + verbal. I haven't started Gchem or Physics... and I'm pretty much self studying 100% ... I don't remember anything from pre-reqs...
I hope that's enough time.
What score are you guys aiming for?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K