2024-2025 Mayo Clinic - Minnesota

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2024-2025 Mayo Clinic - Minnesota Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top choice track you indicated. (500 words or less)

2. Each of us relates to others through characteristics that make up our individual diversity.
Tell us how your diversity is reflected not only in your personal and professional activities but also in your relationships with others, particularly in diverse learning environments. (500 words or less)


Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:
 
Last edited:
I feel like it is not marketed enough, but if you are looking for schools that give a lot of both merit based and need based aid definitely apply here. Almost everyone got at least a 25k scholarship, with most students getting significantly more. Your tuition also includes UWorld and essentially all other third party resources. You are given a guaranteed 2k stipend for aways/research travel, a all expenses paid 4 week rotation (rental car, apartment, flight etc) at one of the other two hospitals you are not attending full time, a 3k moving stipend for FL students (for the move to FL), an all expenses paid week in FL before clinicals for the FL students, and much more! So once you are at there are not really any extenuating expenses.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Mr. Macrophage @jrlybob1
Do you have the secondary questions?

MD Essays​

Essays: Please submit answers to the following questions (500 words or less each).

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top choice track you indicated.

2. Each of us relates to others through characteristics that make up our individual diversity. Tell us how your diversity is reflected not only in your personal and professional activities but also in your relationships with others, particularly in diverse learning environments.


Same as last year @wysdoc
 

MD Essays​

Essays: Please submit answers to the following questions (500 words or less each).

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top choice track you indicated.

2. Each of us relates to others through characteristics that make up our individual diversity. Tell us how your diversity is reflected not only in your personal and professional activities but also in your relationships with others, particularly in diverse learning environments.


Same as last year @wysdoc
My goat
 
Also having the same issue. Tried saving in smaller chunks, had some progress but can't get it to save everything.
I think I will just see if it gets fixed and maybe email in a day or two
Also unable to save the essays. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Edit: Specifically it seems the second essay box refuses to save anything over ~300 words, managed to get the first one to save.
Has anyone emailed about it? I just don't want to hit them with a bunch of emails if someone has already brought it to their attention.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I will just see if it gets fixed and maybe email in a day or two

Has anyone emailed about it? I just don't want to hit them with a bunch of emails if someone has already brought it to their attention.
Yeah I sent one earlier, no response yet.

Update: They responded and said they are working with their IT team to fix the issue and will let me know once it's resolved.
 
Last edited:
what kind of students receive interviews/get accepted here? tryna figure out if it’s worth applying- my stats are good but I don’t have any crazy ECs. I do think my PS is pretty uniqu/theme in my narrative
 
what kind of students receive interviews/get accepted here? tryna figure out if it’s worth applying- my stats are good but I don’t have any crazy ECs. I do think my PS is pretty uniqu/theme in my narrative
You won’t get an interview if you don’t apply. If you feel like you fit the schools mission and are in at least the 10th percentile in stats then I would go for it
 
Has there been any communication back from the admissions office?

I just tried logging into the portal and now there is a pop-up that says:

"Dear _____,

There is a known issue with with (sic) the ability to submit your secondary essay questions. We are working with our IT team on a fix. Thank you for your patience.

Office of Admissions
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine"

So they are clearly aware and are working on it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It sounds like they've been having technical problems with their portal. They will probably not send any more out until this is fixed, is my guess.

As long as you have an MCAT >508 I'm sure you'll get one soon 🙂
Yeah, CycleTrack shows only about 21 people have reported receiving secondaries from Mayo, whereas last year there were only 31 people who reported having received a secondary before July 10, then quadruple that amount by July 15. I think your take is correct, they are just being deliberate in light of the technical issue they're having.
 
I noticed the pop-up about them trying to fix it is gone, but I'm still not able to save. Anyone else had success yet?
 
The portal says this:

"Dear ____

Thank you for your patience as we continue our work to resolve the secondary essay submission issue. Please do not feel pressured to shorten your responses or attempt to upload them as a document to expedite submission. We will not review applications for interview consideration until this issue is resolved. Even if this popup message goes away the next time you log in, you will know that the issue has been resolved when our office sends you a confirmation email.

All the best,

Office of Admissions
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine"
 
The portal says this:

"Dear ____

Thank you for your patience as we continue our work to resolve the secondary essay submission issue. Please do not feel pressured to shorten your responses or attempt to upload them as a document to expedite submission. We will not review applications for interview consideration until this issue is resolved. Even if this popup message goes away the next time you log in, you will know that the issue has been resolved when our office sends you a confirmation email.

All the best,

Office of Admissions
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Me'dicine"
Look, I know everyone who applied is frustrated by the technological issues, but let's give some props to the admissions office for taking the time to update people. They're dealing with the same limitations and quirks of cloud-based communication as everyone else.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad