Mayo Clinic Medical School - Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bschaefer97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the new Mayo medical school in AZ will stand up against other MD programs across the country? I assume it will take a while for it to gain any sort of prestige, but just wondering if it would be worth applying to for admission in 2019. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

It isn't really a "new" school (it is fully accredited IIRC), the clinical rotations in Arizona have already been well established, and the curriculum is exactly the same as the Rochester campus. The only thing different is the classroom in the pre-clinical years got moved. However, research opportunities will be different on each campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo grads wont be in an pickle. their grads will be able to cut the mustard and wont need to catchup.
Clearly an education all their students should relish.

Reactions: 12 users
Reactions: 1 users
Well one thing is for sure. If those grads don't study they're toast. They'll need a miracle whip to get into they're first choice of residency. Ok that last one was corny. Sorry. Anyways, on a more serious note, if it's got Mayo on it then it's gotta be good.

Excited to interview here can’t wait to meet the inaugural class. Good luck everyone! Does any one know when we expect to hear? Is it mid-late feb?

Last edited:
Do AZ residents have an advantage applying to this campus over Rochester? I'm only a 20 min. drive from this campus, and boy is it beautiful! :xf:

Puns aside, would you consider Mayo-AZ an extension of Mayo then? Or an entirely different school? Like, will the diplomas read "Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - AZ campus" or just "Mayo Clinic School of Medicine??"

Puns aside, would you consider Mayo-AZ an extension of Mayo then? Or an entirely different school? Like, will the diplomas read "Mayo Clinic School of Medicine - AZ campus" or just "Mayo Clinic School of Medicine??"
They’ll read Mayo Clinic school of medicine. From what I’ve seen, both campuses are amazing in their own way. Each of them unique but still amazing because of Mayo's mission and how they care of what kind of doctors they produce. You can’t go wrong with either camps.

Last edited:
They’ll read Mayo Clinic school of medicine. From what I’ve seen, both campuses are amazing in their own way. Each of them unique but still amazing because for Maui’s mission and how they care of what kind of doctors they produce. You can’t go wrong with either camps.

Just curious, if you've been to both, what aspects of Mayo-MN did you like better and what aspects of Mayo-AZ did you like better?

Just curious, if you've been to both, what aspects of Mayo-MN did you like better and what aspects of Mayo-AZ did you like better?

WOW "MAUI'S MISSION" I'll be more careful when typing on my phone!

I was at MN first so the initial impression of Mayo was from there. they do everything in MN from primary care to advanced procedures. theres a lot of opportunities in MN and AZ. AZ sees more diversity of patients; however, in MN & AZ you can visit reservations. you are allowed to do selective at any campus in the mayo system so it can potentially bring the students together or even to FL. the AZ campus is a niche hospital focusing more on tertiary and quaternary care because there are a lot of hospital already doing the primary care function. there are opportunities to do selectives at one of the best pediatric hospitals in the country in AZ as well. the center for individualized care (genomics/genetics)as well as other centers of Mayo are in Rochester. all in all though the curriculum is the exact same and you could visit the other campuses for your selective so there really isn't that much difference between them just the local opportunities pretty much. I like the snow and the desert I'm really excited to hear back. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

Like pp said, all diplomas will say "Mayo Clinic School of Medicine" - they emphasized at interview day that they are *one* school with one accreditation. They only have one FAFSA code for all locations and all locations have the same curriculum and exact same exams. The main differences are weather and the location of most of your clinical rotations. Although AZ students can do rotations and selectives at the MN campus, they will complete most at the AZ hospital. They make a big deal about how Mayo is the #1 ranked hospital in AZ, but it's worth noting that USNWR (yeah, I know..) ranked it #20 nationally this year as well. That's a higher ranking than several hospitals have that are associated with other top-20 med schools.

The AZ campus is a niche hospital focusing more on tertiary and quaternary care because there are a lot of hospital already doing the primary care function. there are opportunities to do selectives at one of the best pediatric hospitals in the country in AZ as well.

Huh, interesting. I would have guessed the MN campus is a bigger tertiary/quaternary care center, but I guess being in a big city like Phoenix gives the AZ campus that status.

Huh, interesting. I would have guessed the MN campus is a bigger tertiary/quaternary care center, but I guess being in a big city like Phoenix gives the AZ campus that status.
I think that both handle the same quaternary care that mayo is famous for it’s just that in AZ it’s the niche they fill in the care coverage since there are a lot of other hospitals in the area. Rochester grew up around the Mayo Clinic so it can fill more areas of care.

How competitive is it to get into the Mayo-AZ campus? Is it the same fierce as Mayo-MN? Any particular aspect of candidate that they highly favor?

How competitive is it to get into the Mayo-AZ campus? Is it the same fierce as Mayo-MN? Any particular aspect of candidate that they highly favor?
I would say they are equally competitive. I know of a few applicants who were solid; great MCAT score and gpa who didn't get in. There is know way of knowing how they pick who gets accepted... it's bizarre but there is a reason behind the madness.