MBA now MD/DO later, does this make sense

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sy323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Firstly I just want to say I read the "what was your backup plan" and "success stories" thread and am in awe of so many in this non trads section. I'd like to write an honest post and elicit some feedback.

I graduated from a well regarded ugrad with a very sub 3.0 GPA, D in 1 science course. My mother died after a very long battle with cancer.

I am on a good career trajectory in business. I worked hard and although my gpa was outside the 25-75% gpa range of top 15 bschools, I got in due to determination, essays and interview

However, when taking inventory of my values and my career, I realized I'm not happy. And it isn't the first time I questioned things, I thought about it two years ago but didn't have the funding/support. The thing I did like was that my company was in the healthcare space. Also as you can imagine my mom's illness has had a deep impact on me, some family members tell me I need to move on, but I think it just might be my calling. I volunteered for a cancer organization after her death and it was eyeopening how poor the statistics are and how important a vigilant oncologist is.

I found a 1.5 yr post bacc program and thought about not going to business schoolat all but I am in at one of the best MBA programs for healthcare management at a university w a top ranked med school. I would have hands on exposure to hospital administration as well as classes in us and comparative healthcare systems, pharma, med devices, etc and I wonder if I could help a prof engaged in cancer care/admin research

My plan, which I've ok-ed with the mba program, is to try to place out of intro business classes and take chem1&2 this year during mba year 1. take a year for post bacc work in year 2 then return to complete the mba in year 3. This mitigates risk in that it offers me business options if my pre-med plans were to fail.

What I feel uncomfortable about is that it will cost 160-180k. I will spend my life savings and still accrue significant debt. I would either enter med school at 31 debt or I may need to work a year or two in business to pay off debt first. The MBA also sometimes just feels wrong. It iwill be quite a juggling act going through all the dreaded mba events/presentations/interviews and isolating knowing my end goal is not the same those of my globe trotting, partying, over zealous business classmates.

I feel relieve that I am not staring at a metaphoric brick wall of only business opportunities but at the same time is it crazy doing this at this age with this much debt? Do you think the healthcare exposure is worth it?

p.s. i know i'd primarily be targetting DO and it is difficult for DOs to specialize in oncology but is it possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Firstly I just want to say I read the "what was your backup plan" and "success stories" thread and am in awe of so many in this non trads section. I'd like to write an honest post and elicit some feedback.

I graduated from a well regarded ugrad with a very sub 3.0 GPA, D in 1 science course. My mother died after a very long battle with cancer.

I am on a good career trajectory in business. I worked hard and although my gpa was outside the 25-75% gpa range of top 15 bschools, I got in due to determination, essays and interview

However, when taking inventory of my values and my career, I realized I'm not happy. And it isn't the first time I questioned things, I thought about it two years ago but didn't have the funding/support. The thing I did like was that my company was in the healthcare space. Also as you can imagine my mom's illness has had a deep impact on me, some family members tell me I need to move on, but I think it just might be my calling. I volunteered for a cancer organization after her death and it was eyeopening how poor the statistics are and how important a vigilant oncologist is.

I found a 1.5 yr post bacc program and thought about not going to business schoolat all but I am in at one of the best MBA programs for healthcare management at a university w a top ranked med school. I would have hands on exposure to hospital administration as well as classes in us and comparative healthcare systems, pharma, med devices, etc and I wonder if I could help a prof engaged in cancer care/admin research

My plan, which I've ok-ed with the mba program, is to try to place out of intro business classes and take chem1&2 this year during mba year 1. take a year for post bacc work in year 2 then return to complete the mba in year 3. This mitigates risk in that it offers me business options if my pre-med plans were to fail.

What I feel uncomfortable about is that it will cost 160-180k. I will spend my life savings and still accrue significant debt. I would either enter med school at 31 debt or I may need to work a year or two in business to pay off debt first. The MBA also sometimes just feels wrong. It iwill be quite a juggling act going through all the dreaded mba events/presentations/interviews and isolating knowing my end goal is not the same those of my globe trotting, partying, over zealous business classmates.

I feel relieve that I am not staring at a metaphoric brick wall of only business opportunities but at the same time is it crazy doing this at this age with this much debt? Do you think the healthcare exposure is worth it?

p.s. i know i'd primarily be targetting DO and it is difficult for DOs to specialize in oncology but is it possible?

DO in oncology is possible, but not easy. Also the experience of it is very different for family members vs practitioners. However, it's too soon to significantly consider a specialty at this point as your goals might change.

You should find a shadowing or volunteer experience and see if medicine is right for you. Oncology is fine but do others as well.

Yes, it is expensive and totally financially not worth it so don't do it for the income.

Best of Luck!