MCAT content review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Upstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been studying for my MCAT for approximately 4 weeks now, but i keep feeling like i'm forgetting stuff. I'm currently spending about 5-6hours 6 days a week doing 3 CARS passages then reading and taking notes on a chapter. I'm wondering if i should just continue running through content review and finish that ASAP so i can start full-time practice and then review the things i miss-- or if i should be aiming to mastery and memorize each and every chapter everyday. Also i'm taking notes and wondering if it's best to you all think it's best to just condense these notes-- or make them into Anki cards?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What does the MCAT award points based on?
(a) The ability to recall information as memorized.
(b) The depth of your notes from the content of the review book you are using.
(c) The quality of your flashcards when studying.
(d) The ability to get a multiple-choice question correct using information from a passage integrated with some background knowledge.

In your review, from the very first day, you need to be doing multiple-choice questions as you review each topic (quizzing yourself is the best way to build your knowledge base) and then immediately follow that with passages on that material. Do this for ALL of your subjects. Once you finish passage-based review, then it's time for subject-based review exams. From those you will refresh your content knowledge and master test taking skills (such as timing and avoiding careless errors). After that, you need to take full-length exams with a couple days off in-between to review the exam and go back and study content that caused troubles is ideal.

As much as flashcards and memorizing feels comfortable, because it worked in school, it is not a very good idea for the MCAT. Taking notes after you take an exam is not a bad idea, but notes and flashcards while reviewing content breaks your focus and often gives a false sense of security that you know the material. Drop the flashcards and chapter notes and instead only take notes from answer explanations! Answer explanation are the most important tool in your review books, so use them wisely. Those four to twenty sentences read AFTER you've tried the question are the most useful of all, because your mind is most open to learning when reviewing the question. If you are using materials with poor answer explanations, put those aside for now and find better ones. You can always come back to those later if you have time.

Reactions: 1 user
MCAT does not require you to memorize minute details on all the material. It wants you to understand the bigger picture and reason from that. I would suggest getting through content review ASAP and take practice passages/FLs. Those will tell you which categories you're weak in and so you can go back and do more extensive content review on those subjects.

Reactions: 2 users
MCAT does not require you to memorize minute details on all the material. It wants you to understand the bigger picture and reason from that. I would suggest getting through content review ASAP and take practice passages/FLs. Those will tell you which categories you're weak in and so you can go back and do more extensive content review on those subjects.
lol. you dont like salesmen, do you?

lol. you dont like salesmen, do you?

I believe that most of the "strategies" these companies feed are bull**** and can be obtained for free from any intelligent person. And they should be obtained freely. I don't agree with anybody seeking to profit off of poor college students. This penalizes the poor. A $2000 MCAT course? You can get the same or better preparation by using Khan Academy and AAMC and checking out content review books from the library or asking for used ones from friends.

Reactions: 8 users