This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDR111111111

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I am in need of the best MCAT program. I have done Kaplan and Princeton Review and I am sitting at a solid 492 on my 2nd MCAT. Does anyone have suggestions fo the best program? I need to rase my score at least 15 points. Please help. I am also interested in MCAT tutors. Seriously whatever, I just need the MCAT guru!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

After doing a course myself I don’t recommend them. In fact I tell people don’t do them. I voided the MCAT in June and will take in September. Using a variety of materials from different companies is best. The reason is because no company out there is the best (or even good) in every section. For instance I think Kaplan is great with CARS and content review but they are pretty bad simulating the MCAT with B/B and C/P passages especially with data analysis passages. Altius, EK, and TBR are good for this. Next Step has some good passages too but TBR and Next Step are terrible with CARS.

When you pick a course you commit yourself to just their materials or at least the majority of your time is to their materials. One guy on YouTube with a 99% has done surveys and the most successful used a variety of materials. Also a course is a waste of time during the class sessions. You just go over test taking techniques but you already have access to these in the books. With all that money you spend on a course you could instead use it to get a variety of practice materials. I suggest you get free materials from each company and compare it to AAMC materials and make your decision on what materials to get. You don’t have to take my word for it.

Another mistake people make with courses is they want a “guru”. They like the claims of guaranteeing a 10 point increase or 90th percentile.

I’ve changed up my study plan and been using different materials. I’ve already increased my practice tests by 10 points.

You’ve already taken 2 courses and they haven’t worked. What makes you think another course will work?

I think you need to try to self study, check on the mcat stuff on reddit for that and collect advice, then devise a plan. With a score like 492, you need a TON of content review(probably like 2-3 months with passage mixed in), and then like 6-8 weeks of just practice. It's hard but doable.
Good luck OP

Hi there, I am in need of the best MCAT program. I have done Kaplan and Princeton Review and I am sitting at a solid 492 on my 2nd MCAT. Does anyone have suggestions fo the best program? I need to rase my score at least 15 points. Please help. I am also interested in MCAT tutors. Seriously whatever, I just need the MCAT guru!!!!

Did you already take the actual MCAT twice and are looking for a third retake? Or do you mean you are scoring 492 on practices right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
please do not shell out 2.5k for these programs. Instead, set up an intense study block surrounding your weaknesses and work towards those. I took the Kaplan course and it was one of the biggest scams ever.

courses are an absolute ripoff. You're better off just solo studying.

Reactions: 1 user