MD/PhD Question about Labs and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fralaxin

Reaction score
I will be choosing my thesis lab soon for my school's MD/PhD programs and it feels like a tough choice between these two different labs, which is a good thing. However, I am concerned that my choice of a PhD in one of the two the different fields will limit what residency programs I want to get into. Let me be more specific.

In the future, I would like to do a research residency at a university hospital in neurology. I am interested in mitochondrial dysfunction as they related to neurological diseases. In all of my training so far, I have not been able to work directly on a project pertaining to mitochondria, so I would like to do that for my thesis work.

The one lab:
Studies mitochondrial very intensively, but mostly in cardiomyocytes and asks questions related to cardiovascular disease. However, the PI has shown interest in taking on a greater variety of projects, as the are doing a neuroscience project right now with one postdoc. The PI has also supported my interest in bringing new projects to the lab, be they what they may, so long as they stay within mitochondrial subject matters. The lab and PI also make a lot of effort into getting their work published in high impact journals and into going to conferences to make connections.

The second lab:
Is a neuroscience and has become interested in mitochondria. They are more interested in their specific aspect of neurobiology to study, and have found mitochondria/metabolism to be a hot field right now. The PI has also supported my interest in bringing new projects to the lab. The lab publishes well, but not as well as the first, and there isn't as much push to go to conferences.

There are of course more distinctions between the two that I am leaving out, but I wanted to give enough background to ask this question.

Does getting a PhD in something other than the neurosciences make it more difficult for applicants to research residencies in neurology? Or, do residencies programs look at the quality of the work, rather than it's subject matter, when determining the potential of a research-interested neurology resident? If I were to go to the first lab, can I come back to the neurosciences later in my career?

Members don't see this ad.

Quality is definitely more important than subject matter. You can easily make the switch from mitos in heart to mitos in neurons. In fact one of my classmates did his PhD on ion transporters in heart (dont really want to get more specific than that) and is doing neuro with the intention of studying ion transporters in brain. I actually know someone who studied mitochondria in heart for their PhD who is now doing anesthesia.

So yeah, if the real thing keeping you from joining the 1st lab is just that it's cardiac myocytes, I say absolutely go with that lab and don't worry about it.

The best advice I was given was to pick the PI, not the project. This is the time to learn how to be a researcher. You need someone invested in you, that is supportive of your interests and puts forth the effort to train you appropriately. The project is secondary.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my MD/PhD friends got her PhD in neuroscience, and is now an ENT resident.

Most medical students won’t have a PhD and have little in the way of research. You’ll be a step ahead. Your doors will not be closed just because you pick a degree in something other than neuroscience in terms of residency.

I’d agree that the mentor is likely more important than the specific project. The mentor in the first lab seems like they want to push the careers of the people in the lab much more than the second.

Reactions: 1 user
Pick a place where you can develop the tools to become an independent researcher.

The research you do in your PhD does not necessarily have to pertain to your actual research as a faculty member.

The best advice I was given was to pick the PI, not the project. This is the time to learn how to be a researcher. You need someone invested in you, that is supportive of your interests and puts forth the effort to train you appropriately. The project is secondary.

This is the truth.

Pick the PI AND pick the lab that will teach you the specific tools that you need to do what you want.

If you want to learn the mitochondria, go learn the mitochondria. It sounds like that lab will also help you develop your publication record, which is key. Joining that lab will not in any way keep you from what you want to do.