Med school chances? or death?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kpizzle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello world.

Thanks for reading my post here. I'm extremely worried and cannot sleep anymore due to this problem. Legit having nightmares and decision making issues.
I am a junior pre-med student with an overall GPA 3.7 and sGPA 3.45. I will be applying using the 2018 AMCAS. I know already not so good. I am hoping to graduate with honors in my college, however I have Physics 1&2 left until I've completed all my pre-reqs for medical school. I am extremely worried that my GPA will be problematic for getting interviews and just reaching secondary interviews for medical school. I would like to get into an allopathic med school rather than osteopathic med school.
My extracurriculars are not amazing either. I am really shy and kind awkward. I am super stressed out about all this. Should I take a post-bacc? Should I go into a Masters Degree first? I could hold off taking physics and graduate summa cum laude then enter a post-bacc and take those classes or a masters in public health and take those courses? But, if I can get into medical school with my current stats, I'd prefer it. Or should I just give up altogether and go PA school? I CANNOT go back home and live there for a year off. I will die.

I am so all over the place I can't breathe guys. Help. Please.

Do you think I will stand a chance for medical school admissions considering my GPA will potentially decrease due to Physics 1&2 since I suck at physics??? Also, my MCAT will probably be average. PLEASE REPLY. Any comments regarding this issue is greatly appreciated. I only have 2 semesters left guys, this **** is getting real.

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1: Take some Xanax.

If your sGPA stays the same and your MCAT is average then you will need to apply DO to give yourself the best chances for an acceptance. As it stands now you are still ok for MD considering your state of residence and your MCAT score, obviously the higher your score goes the higher your chances get.

Just take the classes and work hard for good grades! Don't pay for a freaking post bac just because you wanted to avoid taking two classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1: Take some Xanax.

If your sGPA stays the same and your MCAT is average then you will need to apply DO to give yourself the best chances for an acceptance. As it stands now you are still ok for MD considering your state of residence and your MCAT score, obviously the higher your score goes the higher your chances get.

Just take the classes and work hard for good grades! Don't pay for a freaking post bac just because you wanted to avoid taking two classes.

Thank you for replying. So as of right now, there is like no hope for MD schools? I live in Florida so does that give you any insight to my chances at an MD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for replying. So as of right now, there is like no hope for MD schools? I live in Florida so does that give you any insight to my chances at an MD?

What? No I never said that, I said you would need to include DO schools if you score average on the MCAT. I guess I should have asked what you mean by average? As of right now your chances hinge strictly on the MCAT. A 520+ will open a lot of doors, a 500 will mean apply to mostly DO and your state MD. Your MD chances can't be gauged accurately at all until you have an MCAT score.

I think that with a strategic list, and some excellent ECs, there are some MD schools that may bite, like FSU. But you will need DO schools on the list; beggars can't be choosy.

Reactions: 1 user
This is what I tell myself to calm down:

If I'm your boss, and you panic, I'll tell you to go home. You'll cause problems for me; I've got a job to do.
If you're my doctor, and you panic, I'll sue you.
There is no point in your future where panicking will be acceptable.

Physics 1 and 2 are jokes. Most premeds that I know just memorized x equations and y algebraic steps and took the trig version. If you know calculus and some sort of vector mathematics (linear algebra, calculus of vectors, etc.), you can actually be taught something about the world in the calculus based version.

Work on your extracurriculars too. Volunteering, shadowing and clinical experience will not only improve your application, but they will also reinforce your perspective and give you energy to perform well in school and on the MCAT if medicine is what you really want to do.