This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SabRia95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm doing this right. I've never used this site before. So I completed my first year medical school in Australia. I recently transferred to US. All my credits and everything were considered. That being said, I was wondering what classes I should take together for this semester? I have to complete an additional English class. As this school requires more credits in english. How many courses should I take? And what courses should those be? I don't want to overwhelm myself.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm new to this website. Forgive me if this is in the wrong section. I recently transferred University's from Australia to US. I had completed first year of medical school. What courses in one semester should I take in year 2? I have to complete another course of English as this school requires it. So English would be one course correct? Would microbiology be another? How many courses should I take? And what courses do you guys recommend for 1 semester?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope I'm doing this right. I've never used this site before. So I completed my first year medical school in Australia. I recently transferred to US. All my credits and everything were considered. That being said, I was wondering what classes I should take together for this semester? I have to complete an additional English class. As this school requires more credits in english. How many courses should I take? And what courses should those be? I don't want to overwhelm myself.

I'm confused. If you transferred all your credits over from Australia for the first year of medical school shouldn't you have transferred to a medical school? Or is the first year of medical school straight out of high school for you guys? Do you have a bachelor degree?

To clear things up, I'm still in my pre-med years. So no degree because I have not fully completed anything. I only have completed 1 year which was in Aus. I've noticed US has different requirements for the pre-Med program. Hence why I have to take another semester of English as they require more credits. My only question is, for year 2, which courses are best to take together? I know some are lecture with lab. Which can be a bit more work. Just curious as to what some people took their 2nd year each semester and how smoothly it went.

This is going to vary widely between institutions and majors within those institutions. You need to see an advisor at your school to figure out what you need to take and when, so you can get a degree.

Reactions: 1 users
You are the second person to tell me this today... I'm not that scary, am I??

HAHAHA I'll be nice and say you're not scary at ALL ;)
To clear things up, I'm still in my pre-med years. So no degree because I have not fully completed anything. I only have completed 1 year which was in Aus. I've noticed US has different requirements for the pre-Med program. Hence why I have to take another semester of English as they require more credits. My only question is, for year 2, which courses are best to take together? I know some are lecture with lab. Which can be a bit more work. Just curious as to what some people took their 2nd year each semester and how smoothly it went.

I see, there's really no "best courses to take" for each year. A lot of times many pre-med courses are sequenced in that you have to take OChem 1 and OChem2 before you can sign up for Biochem and so on and so forth. My second year I was taking on avg 2-4 science classes (gen chem, bio, or something of the sort with labs for them) as well as 1-2 other courses such as english or math.

Have you taken Calculus already?

I think a good way to start the semester here is to take 2 science courses (maybe both with a lab) and 1 or 2 non-science courses like english or an elective like psychology.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the information AlteredScale! Exactly what I was looking for. I will take 2 science classes along with 2 non science such as English and math. Will that be the ideal thing to do?

You are the second person to tell me this today... I'm not that scary, am I??
Definitely not scary. Definitely definitely not. Don't fret.

Thank you so much for the information AlteredScale! Exactly what I was looking for. I will take 2 science classes along with 2 non science such as English and math. Will that be the ideal thing to do?
Sounds reasonable, although if you're just trying to satisfy "pre-med" requirements, you should know that math isn't very important/required at most schools. I skated by on AP (highschool) credits and statistics courses. Many universities distinguish between the two, even separating departments completely. Statistics might be a good class to take as a "pre med." Math (e.g. calc/dif.eq/lin. algebra/whatever) might not.