Medical schools who love postbaccalaureates

Started by cozmokrmr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cozmokrmr

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know any medical schools that look at post baccs positively. I'm getting ready to apply to schools and trying to narrow down my list of schools I want to apply to. I've heard that George Washington and East Virginia med schools are ones that love post baccs. Any others?
 
cozmokrmr said:
Anyone know any medical schools that look at post baccs positively. I'm getting ready to apply to schools and trying to narrow down my list of schools I want to apply to. I've heard that George Washington and East Virginia med schools are ones that love post baccs. Any others?

Rochester, Dartmouth

Ed
 
given two applicants who have similar statistics, health professional schools mostly prefer the post-baccalaureate...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sinned said:
given two applicants who have similar statistics, health professional schools mostly prefer the post-baccalaureate...

Do you have any stats to support that?
 
I just remember when I was researching into post-bac programs that, something like 40% or so of post-bacs get accepted compared to a number like 30% or something for traditional applicants...
 
love is a pretty strong word...make no mistake, it still comes down to #s.
that being said, i've known many non-trads to do well at:
new york medical college
SOM
NJ Med

tip: look at schools that have linkages set up with formal post-bac programs. it's a pretty clear sign they like non-trads. 👍
 
I've heard that Michigan State looks favorably on non-trads and those with interesting life experiences. Also Temple has a high percentage of older, non-trad students.
 
sinned said:
I just remember when I was researching into post-bac programs that, something like 40% or so of post-bacs get accepted compared to a number like 30% or something for traditional applicants...

That's encouraging to read, but that's a testimony to the applicants and the strength of their application after the post-bac. It has nothing to do with whether or not schools prefer post-bacs in general.

I've heard that this varies a lot from program to program, much like schools' view of non traditional applicants.
 
For programs that seem to like non-traditional applicants, I culled this list from a past thread on SDN (listed in no particular order). Keep in mind this is all anecdotal :

Columbia
Dartmouth
Wright State
Rush (Chicago)
Case Western
Cornell
Jefferson
Vermont
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Finch
UCSF
George Washington
Albany
Pitt
Jefferson
UC Davis
NJMS