MEDPATH 2015 Ohio State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If invited, are you applying to the MEDPATH program for 2015?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lol! I can't help it! This application cycle is really helping me to work on my patience.

Yes, apparently 30 lucky folks will get a shot at interviews. There are only 15 spots in the program, some of which can possibly be taken up by individuals who interviewed during the regular med admissions cycle. Oh boy oh boy!! Lol

I didn't know about the last tidbit,oh gosh!!

I would assume if they made it to regular admissions cycle then their stats would be to high for this program!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't know about the last tidbit,oh gosh!!

I would assume if they made it to regular admissions cycle then their stats would be to high for this program!
I've seen chat of instances of this happening in previous years' threads. Let's hope we're among the chosen!!

Ahhhh!!! So the committee has made its decisions and Dr. McDougle now has to review the decisions and make it official. It's going to be a long weekend waiting until next week Monday/Tuesday. Ohhhh Lord. Best wishes folks!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhhh!!! So the committee has made its decisions and Dr. McDougle now has to review the decisions and make it official. It's going to be a long weekend waiting until next week Monday/Tuesday. Ohhhh Lord. Best wishes folks!

There's no possibility of them coming out tomorrow?

There's no possibility of them coming out tomorrow?
Just sharing what I was told!!! Sounds like it'll be next week. From the sound of it, we'll hear something by next week Tuesday at the latest, but anything is possible. Tomorrow would be awesome!!

Just got an email with an interview invite!

Reactions: 1 users
Same here! What date will you guys be Interviewing ?

Last edited:
Congrats to you all. I guess it's a "No" if we weren't emailed by now...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't think that! They've only started sending invites 1h ago. And I doubt that they could send 100 emails in 1h.
Yeah I didn't know if it was a mass email type of situation for all those that are invited.

So I just called to ask. ALL the email invitations have been sent out. Best wishes to you all that have received interviews. Congrats.

So I just called to ask. ALL the email invitations have been sent out. Best wishes to you all that have received interviews. Congrats.
Do not forget that those individuals that received the invitation have to accept it and if some invitation are not accepted or declined, some more invites will be sent out...IT IS NOT OVER UNTIL THE FAT LADY SINGS.

I occasionally drop in to check on this board and I must say you have all been a great encouragement to me!!! I look forward to meeting some of you at the interview!!!!

Didn't receive an interview invite. Good luck to those of you that did! :)

Hey thanks for all the info, we all really appreciate it! So I had a couple questions I was hoping you could answer:

1. Since the summer courses are med school ones, does that mean you don't need to take these same classes in med 1, or are these more like special courses for medpathers?

2. Do you interact with former medpathers during the year (those that are now Med 1's)?

3. Do the summer courses hold that same 3.0 requirement? And have you heard of anyone from previous programs not passing the summer portion? That would suck to make it to the end and not get in

4. Do you have any break from the summer portion classes to Med 1? Assuming you meet all the requirements

5. During the school year, is it purely classes, or do they require you to do other things as well (shadowing/community service)?

Thanks so much for any info you can provide, and best of luck with your classes!

Hey! First off congrats to everyone who received an interview! :D

1. You do have to repeat courses again in Med 1, but that just means it'll be easier. The Med 1's all say it's great because they don't have to focus as much on anatomy and can concentrate on other things. The summer courses are just for the medpathers, but its the same professor that we'll have in Med 1, thus the same lectures. She'll also be your grad histo teacher.

2. Ha ha yes you will see previous medpathers ALL THE TIME. We have our own study area so you'll get to interact with us and M2, M3 MAYBE even M4 medpathers. It's like a big family, they are all willing to help and give you advice and tips. I mean they just went through what we are going through now, and we'll be there to pass our advice on to you all.

3. Nah, you just have to get a 70%. I'm not too sure as to how that works though. I'll have to ask the M1's. Normally Med school classes are high pass/pass/fail, so I would assume it would be the same. I have never heard of anyone not making it in because of that part though. It's mainly the MCAT.

4. Unfortunately you do not. If you have any break it would be less than a week, then you have you Med 1 orientation, and white coat ceremony. You do get about a month break between spring and summer.

5. Well you get a mentor but it is up to you how often you meet with him/her. There is 1 community service thing but it's during your first week before classes even start.

And someone asked about paying for this. Pretty much everyone will get some amount from the MEDPATH scholarship. You also can get unsubsidized federal loans, so make sure you do your FASFA. If you need anymore money you will have to get private loans, but it will just be for this year. In Med 1 you can get the whole thing covered by federal loans if you need to.

Good luck everyone!

1. You do have to repeat courses again in Med 1, but that just means it'll be easier. The Med 1's all say it's great because they don't have to focus as much on anatomy and can concentrate on other things. The summer courses are just for the medpathers, but its the same professor that we'll have in Med 1, thus the same lectures. She'll also be your grad histo teacher.

2. Ha ha yes you will see previous medpathers ALL THE TIME. We have our own study area so you'll get to interact with us and M2, M3 MAYBE even M4 medpathers. It's like a big family, they are all willing to help and give you advice and tips. I mean they just went through what we are going through now, and we'll be there to pass our advice on to you all.

3. Nah, you just have to get a 70%. I'm not too sure as to how that works though. I'll have to ask the M1's. Normally Med school classes are high pass/pass/fail, so I would assume it would be the same. I have never heard of anyone not making it in because of that part though. It's mainly the MCAT.

4. Unfortunately you do not. If you have any break it would be less than a week, then you have you Med 1 orientation, and white coat ceremony. You do get about a month break between spring and summer.

5. Well you get a mentor but it is up to you how often you meet with him/her. There is 1 community service thing but it's during your first week before classes even start.

And someone asked about paying for this. Pretty much everyone will get some amount from the MEDPATH scholarship. You also can get unsubsidized federal loans, so make sure you do your FASFA. If you need anymore money you will have to get private loans, but it will just be for this year. In Med 1 you can get the whole thing covered by federal loans if you need to.

Good luck everyone!
Thanks for this detailed info!

What days are folks interviewing on? Mine is April 6th

Reactions: 1 user

Good luck everyone!
Do you think the program offers good preparation for the MCAT? Do people ever not reach the MCAT cut off score?

Do you think the program offers good preparation for the MCAT? Do people ever not reach the MCAT cut off score?

I know you weren't asking me, but I know for a fact that there have been people the past few years who weren't able to matriculate because they didn't meet the MCAT requirement.

I'm getting there a day early too. Let's do a tour together , regardless. It won't hurt, will it?

Do not forget that those individuals that received the invitation have to accept it and if some invitation are not accepted or declined, some more invites will be sent out...IT IS NOT OVER UNTIL THE FAT LADY SINGS.
I received an interview invite but I have decided to attend another program so I hope this opens up a spot for someone who really wants this!

I'm getting there the day before as well (the 5th). Let's link up!
For those of you doing the tour on the 5th how can we link up? My interview is on the 6th and will be there over the weekend.

So I just checked the tour page and called the office, and there are no campus tours available March 5th or March 7th (the days before each interview day). But they do offer self guided tours
Good to know!

Hey yall, so I finally made the decision to attend the interview. So my flight is officially booked! I'd love to be added to the PM's going on right now for those who will be there on the 5th and interviewing on the 6th! I look forward to meeting you all!

Wait...Have you not been accepted to medical school?
Will PM you!

Hi everyone coming a day early! I'm here in OSU so I can help out with your tours if you want...

Hey again everyone!

I have gotten a few messages regarding interview tips so I'm going to put this out there for everyone:

The interview is with a medical student AND a teacher on the admission committee. It's the same interview normal medical students go through. Most of my questions were. Why OSU? Why a doctor? Tell me about a time you dealt with adversity and what did you learn. Most of it was like a conversation though, you don't want to answer questions like a robot. Some people had laid back interviewers while some had "grilling" interviewers.

The interview is FORMAL. For (insert chosen religious deity... or not ) sake dress appropriately. There were people who didn't dress appropriately during our interview group and they aren't in our cohort unfortunately.

There wasn't a placement test for us. I think they did away with that before our cohort.

It's a standard Princeton Review MCAT review course, but it's done on campus and its just MEDPATHERS. About 50% of last years group did not matriculate, I believe ALL of them were low MCAT score related. We are hoping shooting for 100% with my group though of course.

I hope to meet you all the night before your interview if you can make it!

Good Luck!

Jamal

Hi all, is there a way to get access to our secondary and medpath application at this point ? I would like to go over what I said in those essays in case a question pops up from those.

Hey again everyone!

I have gotten a few messages regarding interview tips so I'm going to put this out there for everyone:

The interview is with a medical student AND a teacher on the admission committee. It's the same interview normal medical students go through. Most of my questions were. Why OSU? Why a doctor? Tell me about a time you dealt with adversity and what did you learn. Most of it was like a conversation though, you don't want to answer questions like a robot. Some people had laid back interviewers while some had "grilling" interviewers.

The interview is FORMAL. For (insert chosen religious deity... or not ) sake dress appropriately. There were people who didn't dress appropriately during our interview group and they aren't in our cohort unfortunately.

There wasn't a placement test for us. I think they did away with that before our cohort.

It's a standard Princeton Review MCAT review course, but it's done on campus and its just MEDPATHERS. About 50% of last years group did not matriculate, I believe ALL of them were low MCAT score related. We are hoping shooting for 100% with my group though of course.

I hope to meet you all the night before your interview if you can make it!

Good Luck!

Jamal

Thanks so much Jamal!!! :)

And now the waiting begins, hopefully a short one:xf: How did everyone feel about their interviews and OSU as a whole? Both folks on Monday and yesterday?

It was ok except for the rain I didn't expect. I liked the campus, I also didn't expect most of the questions I was asked they were very personal. For those that made it at the reception I definitely enjoyed Chipotle hehehe and the old crew was fantastic. When are we supposed to hear back?

It was ok except for the rain I didn't expect. I liked the campus, I also didn't expect most of the questions I was asked they were very personal. For those that made it at the reception I definitely enjoyed Chipotle hehehe and the old crew was fantastic. When are we supposed to hear back?
Yea I found them very very personal too. I believe we should hear back on or after April 13th.

it's awfully quiet here... :)
Just wanted to say hello guys! Good luck to all of us...