Zharp

5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2015
Somewhere too cold.
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So Medscape just released their annual reports yesterday. The burnout report can be found here: Medscape: Medscape Access

As someone who's an aspiring physician and about to enter this coming application cycle, I wanted to get peoples thoughts on the importance of these reports when planning on a career in medicine.

Is this data something that should intimidate prospective physicians or influence what specialties they consider?

Is burnout in medicine really that big of a problem relative to other professional fields? I'm not arguing against the importance of recognizing and talking about burnout in medicine, it's a clear problem, but is it unique? I would imagine that if you polled employees in any sector that had been on the job for 20+ years you would find significant levels of burnout.

Compared to the 2015 physician lifestyle report, relative burnout rates have gone down. Do you think this speaks to a changing medical culture and the increased awareness of burnout?

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.