meharry vs. morehouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paeanmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just found out this week that I got into both Meharry and Morehouse. I am not sure which one to choose. I liked both when I visited. I am also not sure what field of medicine I would like to go into. Do you guys have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Which city area is better for you. I think Atlanta sounds more entertaining than that place in Tennessee.

Which city area is better for you. I think Atlanta sounds more entertaining than that place in Tennessee.

I have no relevant information on the schools, but in terms of cities I have spent time in both Atlanta and Nashville. Atlanta may be better if you like a fast paced/active lifestyle, but I personally love Nashville. I've been there about 20 times (girlfriend lives there) and its a nice clean city. The only thing they lack is a baseball team. The country music can get a little sickening too though. I have personally never like Atlanta.. I'm not a big fan of huge cities with a ton of people but to each his own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with the cheaper option after comparing fin aid packages.

However, with all money being equal, it's Morehouse - by far. Better school. Grady is an excellent hospital for your clinical education. There are very close ties with Emory. AND, Atlanta blows Nashville out of the water in every way possible.

Me personally would choose Meharry not only would you recive a fine education from one of the oldest HBMS but you would be doing your rotations along with students from Vandy and will have a better chance than most to compare notes on what type of education you recieved. Meharry also gets a lot of good residency spots as well.

Morehouse. 100% pass rate on step 1, great familial environment, grady and emory close, atlanta vs tenessee, and it's a better education.

Im attending Meharry in June so of course I would tell you to go to Meharry. But I would still choose Meharry over Morehouse. I lived in Atlanta for over ten years and there are too many distractions in Atlanta. I loved Nashville on my first visit. It has the big city feel without as many distractions as Atlanta. Meharry has an alliance with Vandy for research. I was very excited to learn about this. Meharry has a family atmosphere as well as Morehouse. If I was you I would choose my school based on financial aid packages and whether or not I want to stay in Atlanta or Nashville. Personally I would not want all of the distractions in Atlanta. I think you should pray on it. Good luck with your choice and congrats on getting accepted.

I personally feel you shouldn't choose to attend a school just because they gave you more money, or just because they have a better name, or just because the campus is nicer, or just because it's closer to home, etc.

Those were the same exact schools that I had to choose from and I chose the one where I felt the most comfortable. Although both schools are alike in many ways, only one felt 100% right. I've caught a bit of flack for choosing the one I chose, but I'm the one who has to be in school for the next four years and I have to do what I feel is in my best interest.

I think deep down inside of us all, we KNOW what school we really want to attend, but we are afraid that we'll make the wrong decision. Always go with your first instinct!!

If I were you I would def. go to Morehouse. There school is better, the class is small of about 50 or so, and they have a better chance at getting there residency programs. Meharry is okay but I know they have had some issues in the past with residency placement...take that into consideration