Men's Interview Clothing #4! (2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And is the suit in the thumbnail too light?
The lighter the color, the more casual the vibe. The one you posted is more business casual. Navy and charcoal are business professional. Black of course, is for the most serious of occasions, marriage and death.
 
1. Is this poor quality?

https://www.express.com/clothing/me.../pro/03250293_2540db3b3c/color/Charcoal Gray/

2. And is the suit in the thumbnail too light?

1 is a fine color, however, I would not pay that price for it (426 for jacket and pants). Express suits are fused suits which should be closer to $200. For $400 you can get a half-canvassed suit from Suit Supply (stores in most major cities) or Spier and Mackay (only online and in Toronto) that will last longer and likely look better as they mold to your body. If Express has a great deal going on, it's a different story as their suits are modern and slim fit might fit better off the rack.

2 is too light
 
1 is a fine color, however, I would not pay that price for it (426 for jacket and pants). Express suits are fused suits which should be closer to $200. For $400 you can get a half-canvassed suit from Suit Supply (stores in most major cities) or Spier and Mackay (only online and in Toronto) that will last longer and likely look better as they mold to your body. If Express has a great deal going on, it's a different story as their suits are modern and slim fit might fit better off the rack.

2 is too light

That is what I was wondering. I'm fine with paying extra for products if they last. I like how express fits, but I'd rather have it better quality and tailor it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have a Suit Supply nearby, I would go try some different things on, as they have numerous different cuts. There suits start around $360 I believe. Spier and Mackay is only online, so you need to know your dimensions. They have some suits on sale for around $275 and you can use promo code 'SUITS20' for 20% off until tomorrow I believe ($220 total). Tailoring will most likely be under $100 - but it all depends on what needs to be done.
 
If you have a Suit Supply nearby, I would go try some different things on, as they have numerous different cuts. There suits start around $360 I believe. Spier and Mackay is only online, so you need to know your dimensions. They have some suits on sale for around $275 and you can use promo code 'SUITS20' for 20% off until tomorrow I believe ($220 total). Tailoring will most likely be under $100 - but it all depends on what needs to be done.

I just checked out Spier and Mackay. They look better quality than express lol. I appreciate the help and I may periodically PM you suit choices if thats okay.
 
If you have a Suit Supply nearby, I would go try some different things on, as they have numerous different cuts. There suits start around $360 I believe. Spier and Mackay is only online, so you need to know your dimensions. They have some suits on sale for around $275 and you can use promo code 'SUITS20' for 20% off until tomorrow I believe ($220 total). Tailoring will most likely be under $100 - but it all depends on what needs to be done.
+1 was very happy with suitsupply
 
I've been watching people interview for two years now. Black suit = you blend in and look like you are going to a funeral (and you may be, metaphorically speaking). Navy suit, light dress shirt, with oxblood or cognac wingtip oxfords...you stand out, in a good way. And the fit of the suit is obviously of utmost importance. You don't want to look like you borrowed one from your dad who quit exercising 20 years ago.
 
If you have a Suit Supply nearby, I would go try some different things on, as they have numerous different cuts. There suits start around $360 I believe. Spier and Mackay is only online, so you need to know your dimensions. They have some suits on sale for around $275 and you can use promo code 'SUITS20' for 20% off until tomorrow I believe ($220 total). Tailoring will most likely be under $100 - but it all depends on what needs to be done.
I also purchased my suit from Suit Supply, and I am extremely happy with it!
 
Whats the consensus on shoes with a buckle? I tried the search function to no avail. Maybe something like this but in a tan or brown?
View attachment 272719

I love dub monks but they're not appropriate in this context.

Out of pure curiosity... Whats your opinion on Chelsea boots? ..

I love chelsea boots. I have an awesome pair of C&J ones that I'm going to wear into the ground, get new soles put in, and wear those out too. I think they look great with a suit.

But. See my response above.
 
Thanks for the recommendation! Do you know of any cheaper places? I’m struggling with money right now because of my suit, but I want a decent pair of shoes. Any other sites you recommend to find good black oxfords?

I'm not saying Aldo has the best quality shoes by any means, but if tight on money, these could definitely get you through the interview season. For $49 its hard to beat on a budget.

 
Thanks for the recommendation! Do you know of any cheaper places? I’m struggling with money right now because of my suit, but I want a decent pair of shoes. Any other sites you recommend to find good black oxfords?
I would recommend eBay. Search black Park Avenue Cap-Toe Oxfords in your size and see what comes up. If not, I know Johnston and Murphy used to be the frugal oxford recommendation. I am unsure if this is still the case, so I'll let other users chime in.

@LabileEmotions and @ridethecliche
 
Thanks for the recommendation! Do you know of any cheaper places? I’m struggling with money right now because of my suit, but I want a decent pair of shoes. Any other sites you recommend to find good black oxfords?

You can also try a Nordstrom Rack if you have one nearby. They often have shoes for cheaper (usually around 30-50% off), they might have some blemishes though. You can also check Goodwill in nicer areas for some steals.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So.....a black turtleneck with a navy suit would be seen as bad?? I feel like that would add something unique but wouldn't be aggressive. For me I have a long neck and the turtleneck helps mediate that :laugh: Why look completely run of the mill? This would also save you from having a crappy tie job too :banana:

#bringtheNeckBack!
 
So.....a black turtleneck with a navy suit would be seen as bad?? I feel like that would add something unique but wouldn't be aggressive. For me I have a long neck and the turtleneck helps mediate that :laugh: Why look completely run of the mill? This would also save you from having a crappy tie job too :banana:

#bringtheNeckBack!
273585

Are you thinking this looks professional or.....?
 
Most definitely. 😎
Sexy =/= professional. If your goal is to leave your interviewers swooning, then go with the black turtle neck. If you want them to think you are professional, then don't. *This means don't*
 
Sexy =/= professional. If your goal is to leave your interviewers swooning, then go with the black turtle neck. If you want them to think you are professional, then don't. *This means don't*
Then swooning it shall be my good sir :clap:
I guess I will just go with a black and navy plad suit like that one guy as it seemed to work LOL.
 
Then swooning it shall be my good sir :clap:
I guess I will just go with a black and navy plad suit like that one guy as it seemed to work LOL.
I got that dark navy pinstripe with a light blue shirt and a maroon tie. looking very swigity.
 
Sexy =/= professional. If your goal is to leave your interviewers swooning, then go with the black turtle neck. If you want them to think you are professional, then don't. *This means don't*

I think the obsession with the little details in these threads is ridiculous and that it really doesn’t matter as long as you look okay and are wearing a suit, but yes—a turtleneck is not professional lol.
 
I keep reading not to wear "funeral black" but I'm not sure what that means. Is the setup in the image appropriate? Obviously the tie needs work haha @gyngyn @Goro
Screenshot_20190726-100738_Gallery.jpg
 
I keep reading not to wear "funeral black" but I'm not sure what that means. Is the setup in the image appropriate? Obviously the tie needs work haha @gyngyn @Goro
View attachment 273656
My monitor shows that suit as a charcoal grey, which I like. The black I dislike is the black of the borders of the image, which is what most interviewees are addicted too.
Cultural note: people wear black to funerals.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have an opinion on tailoring done by a department store/chain vs mom&pop store? Just bought a suit for any potential interviews and the thought of ruining a new suit due to bad tailoring is stress-inducing. Never had a suit tailored and don't know what to expect.
 
Are interviewees supposed to be wearing their suit all day? Do we wear casual clothing and then change after breakfast? I don't think I have seen anyone mention -when- to wear, only -what- to wear.
 
Are interviewees supposed to be wearing their suit all day? Do we wear casual clothing and then change after breakfast? I don't think I have seen anyone mention -when- to wear, only -what- to wear.

yeah, wear it all day. Welcome to the world of professionalism
 
Yeah, do you ever see James Bond complain about wearing a suit while he is saving the world? I don't think so...
Real question though, do we have to wear suits in medicine...or only for like interviews? I don't care for the uniform. I am cool with slacks and polos/dress shirts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Real question though, do we have to wear suits in medicine...or only for like interviews? I don't care for the uniform. I am cool with slacks and polos/dress shirts.

Once you are an attending (depending on who you work for) you can wear whatever you want. My dad (private practice) Wears a polo and nice pants (not slacks) and no white coat.
 
Once you are an attending (depending on who you work for) you can wear whatever you want. My dad (private practice) Wears a polo and nice pants (not slacks) and no white coat.
What about during med school and residency? Are there frequent occurances when one must wear the getup?
 
Don't become a doc in the Mayo system. The suit is their uniform.

In most academic medical centers, you will likely have to wear a dress shirt and tie with usually a white coat. But always a shirt and tie.
Yah, I learned that when I did some training there last year. Any other schools/systems like that?
 
Two questions. This may have been answered earlier, but this is a really long thread...
  1. Thoughts on cognac colored dress shoes with a dark grey suit
    274475
    (matching belt obviously)
  2. Better to fold suit and put it in a carry on bag or wear the suit?