MGHIHP Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mainer127

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just received an e-mail offering me admission to MGH for the summer 2018 class! I know during the open house they mentioned scholarships and I wasn't expecting to receive one, but was wondering if that would have been in my acceptance e-mail or if I should expect it at a later point?

Congrats to everyone who got in!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

I also received an acceptance. So happy! But yea, it should've been in the acceptance email I believe. Unless it might be in an acceptance letter that they'll send later.

I also received an acceptance email this morning! However, I haven't completed the Exphys class. Do you think they can make an exception if i did not take one of the pre-req courses? I have other acceptances, so i'm just weighing my options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received an acceptance email this morning! However, I haven't completed the Exphys class. Do you think they can make an exception if i did not take one of the pre-req courses? I have other acceptances, so i'm just weighing my options.

The email says you just need to complete the course prior to matriculation in the Summer. If you take and complete it in the Spring, it should be fine. You should call/email them to double-check, just in case!

The email says you just need to complete the course prior to matriculation in the Summer. If you take and complete it in the Spring, it should be fine. You should call/email them to double-check, just in case!
Agreed. I just finished my last two pre-reqs this semester and am sending over my updated official transcript as soon as I can.

I got accepted this morning too! So excited! I have to decide between a west coast Arizona school and MGH IHP!

I just emailed the school about the scholarships, because I do remember them mentioning they would notify us via email with the decision email whether we got the scholarship or not. I did not see anything specifically in the acceptance email that mentions the scholarship.

With a hefty tuition of 120k, I would like to know if I can get it down below 100k before deciding.

My acceptance email informed me that I received a scholarship and that they’ll send me more details in the upcoming days.

Congrats to you guys! I got waitlisted unfortunately.

Hey everyone just wanted to let you guys know that I've been accepted as well to MGH with an academic scholarship. They told me details for the scholarship will be emailed to me a couple of days later. I'm so excited! Can't wait to meet you guys!

I also got accepted and am looking forward to meeting everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

I got accepted into MGHIHP as well, no scholarship but it's one of my top choices. Can't wait to meet everyone!

So happy to say that I have been accepted as well! Does anyone know if MGH will be making a facebook group for our cohort, or is that something that we will have to do ourselves?

So happy to say that I have been accepted as well! Does anyone know if MGH will be making a facebook group for our cohort, or is that something that we will have to do ourselves?
I believe they make the fb group once the deposit deadline pass. When I looked up other fb groups from other cohorts the admin is always "mgh ihp"

I believe they make the fb group once the deposit deadline pass. When I looked up other fb groups from other cohorts the admin is always "mgh ihp"

Makes sense. Thanks for the response.

Any updates about the waitlist?? Anyone else getting in?

Got accepted into MGH as well. Flying out to Boston this Tuesday to check out the program. Will decide after that on which school to make a deposit on.

I've been accepted as well and I will be attending. I'm not looking forward to the winters in Boston though...

I've been accepted as well and I will be attending. I'm not looking forward to the winters in Boston though...
where are you from if you don't mind me asking. i'm from nyc so it's not a big difference to me

where are you from if you don't mind me asking. i'm from nyc so it's not a big difference to me
Hey I'm from Maryland, it does get pretty cold here but the weather rarely drops below 0.

Hey I'm from Maryland, it does get pretty cold here but the weather rarely drops below 0.[/QU
Ahh cool, so are going to be looking for roommates when the fb group get going?

i know of people who got 30k and 50k I think it varies on the applicant!
I'm curious what the cap is, mine ended up being 50K. Just out of curiousity and totally based on the opinions of fellow students, what made you choose MGHIHP over your other acceptances? I'm still contemplating my acceptances and seeing as there was no interview process, am curious why this program over your other choices?

I'm curious what the cap is, mine ended up being 50K. Just out of curiousity and totally based on the opinions of fellow students, what made you choose MGHIHP over your other acceptances? I'm still contemplating my acceptances and seeing as there was no interview process, am curious why this program over your other choices?
I went to the open house and fell in love with the curriculum honestly, it's very unique and geared for making you a better/well prepared physical therapist by time you graduate. Also everyone from the faculty to the current students were very welcoming and friendly, loved the atmosphere. The fact that they have a 1 yr paid internship was another feature that I loved as it acts an mentorship and helps offset cost of living. The scholarship is just icing on the cake =)

I went to the open house and fell in love with the curriculum honestly, it's very unique and geared for making you a better/well prepared physical therapist by time you graduate. Also everyone from the faculty to the current students were very welcoming and friendly, loved the atmosphere. The fact that they have a 1 yr paid internship was another feature that I loved as it acts an mentorship and helps offset cost of living. The scholarship is just icing on the cake =)

Same, I was already planning on attending MGH after the open house and then receiving the scholarship just made it seem fated.

Ahh cool, so are going to be looking for roommates when the fb group get going?

I'm attending MGH and coming from out of state as well. I'm also planning to use the facebook group page to look for potential room mates. I also noticed that there's an off campus housing resource that allows you to find room mates on the school's website. Going to use that as a last resort though since with facebook you can at least kind of meet your potential room mates.

I'm attending MGH and coming from out of state as well. I'm also planning to use the facebook group page to look for potential room mates. I also noticed that there's an off campus housing resource that allows you to find room mates on the school's website. Going to use that as a last resort though since with facebook you can at least kind of meet your potential room mates.
You can check out cragslist as well. I just put in the schools zipcode and limit it to around 3 mile radius. Just so I can get an good idea of prices of areas. So far Somerville, Medford, and Cambridge look pretty decent since they are close to the orange/green T line. I'm thinking if I can get roommates from the facebook group getting a house or a large apartment with 3 or 4 people would be pretty manageable!

I was accepted but will be attending a different school, best of luck to all those on the waitlist.

You can check out cragslist as well. I just put in the schools zipcode and limit it to around 3 mile radius. Just so I can get an good idea of prices of areas. So far Somerville, Medford, and Cambridge look pretty decent since they are close to the orange/green T line. I'm thinking if I can get roommates from the facebook group getting a house or a large apartment with 3 or 4 people would be pretty manageable!

Either apartments in Boston are expensive or I'm just poor and don't know it, I can't find anything under $1k per person. But I agree I'll also need 3 or 4 roommates so my dog isn't constantly bored when I'm in class.

Either apartments in Boston are expensive or I'm just poor and don't know it, I can't find anything under $1k per person. But I agree I'll also need 3 or 4 roommates so my dog isn't constantly bored when I'm in class.
nah boston is just really expensive!!

Been in Boston from Monday till leaving tomorrow. I’m going to decline my spot. I did a tour of the campus and even spoke with a professor about the curriculum. We essentially are the guinea pigs for their new curriculum. In addition the school doesn’t own the buildings they are in, so their spaces are limited. Nothing special stands out about their Physical Therapy school. No anatomy lab on campus and no prosection of anatomy. They do have a simulated hospital setting for usage by the various nursing, ot, and PT schools which is nice. Their library is so sad... one floor and super small, how can you possibly fit all your programs there to study. The year long “paid” internship sounds better than it is. Only a few programs are actually doing this and you might be only getting paid for part of the internship meaning for a number of weeks you are unpaid while the other weeks you get paid. They said we can study at Harvard library, but that is quite far and inconvenient to get to (I visited there too).

Housing is soooo expensive, 1k plus easy. Driving is terrible due to parking being so high. Many places you go you have to park on the street or structure which adds more cost. The surrounding food area stinks. If you want Asian food don’t even bother. I tried high and low to find good places.

As for the curriculum if you want to study in groups the majority of the time and be a guinea pig then go ahead. I personally prefer the traditional class setting.

Been in Boston from Monday till leaving tomorrow. I’m going to decline my spot. I did a tour of the campus and even spoke with a professor about the curriculum. We essentially are the guinea pigs for their new curriculum. In addition the school doesn’t own the buildings they are in, so their spaces are limited. Nothing special stands out about their Physical Therapy school. No anatomy lab on campus and no prosection of anatomy. They do have a simulated hospital setting for usage by the various nursing, ot, and PT schools which is nice. Their library is so sad... one floor and super small, how can you possibly fit all your programs there to study. The year long “paid” internship sounds better than it is. Only a few programs are actually doing this and you might be only getting paid for part of the internship meaning for a number of weeks you are unpaid while the other weeks you get paid. They said we can study at Harvard library, but that is quite far and inconvenient to get to (I visited there too).

Housing is soooo expensive, 1k plus easy. Driving is terrible due to parking being so high. Many places you go you have to park on the street or structure which adds more cost. The surrounding food area stinks. If you want Asian food don’t even bother. I tried high and low to find good places.

As for the curriculum if you want to study in groups the majority of the time and be a guinea pig then go ahead. I personally prefer the traditional class setting.

That's certainly a lot of cons and it's always beneficial to hear another perspective but luckily a lot of these don't apply to me. For one, we were told that the average time spent in class per week is about 20-25 hours, whereas for most other programs it's 35-40 hours, and this is especially appealing to me being a pet owner and a gym fanatic. I'll agree that we are technically guinea pigs in the new curriculum but that's not necessarily a bad thing. From what I've heard at the open house from current students the faculty are extremely receptive to feedback. If I remember correctly there was one instance where students complained of being over-stressed due to having an exam day immediately followed by the start of a new course module, and to remedy this issue the faculty implemented a free day in-between testing to allow students time to decompress. Also the IMPACT courses are, in my opinion, what makes the program stand out. The curriculum seems to emphasize a more collaborative approach to health care and I feel as though MGH provides you with a genuine understanding of how different professionals can contribute equally to the betterment of a patient. Regarding the internship, the real value in this experience has to do with preparation and less with compensation. You are essentially being mentored for a full year by experienced PT's in the field so that once you do start practicing you're doing so with the confidence and efficacy of a more seasoned practitioner, also these internships can be used as a tool to negotiate a higher starting salary for when you apply for your first job as a PT. I'll agree that driving to campus is definitely a hassle with the high cost of parking but you also have the option of taking the bus or biking and as much as I love oriental food I won't be eating out because of the whole debt thing. The only real cons for me are the expensive housing and the freezing Boston winters.

Wow I didn't realize I wrote this much, but hopefully somebody considering MGH will find it useful. Also forgive any grammatical errors or confusing points, It's 2am.

Reactions: 3 users
That's certainly a lot of cons and it's always beneficial to hear another perspective but luckily a lot of these don't apply to me. For one, we were told that the average time spent in class per week is about 20-25 hours, whereas for most other programs it's 35-40 hours, and this is especially appealing to me being a pet owner and a gym fanatic. I'll agree that we are technically guinea pigs in the new curriculum but that's not necessarily a bad thing. From what I've heard at the open house from current students the faculty are extremely receptive to feedback. If I remember correctly there was one instance where students complained of being over-stressed due to having an exam day immediately followed by the start of a new course module, and to remedy this issue the faculty implemented a free day in-between testing to allow students time to decompress. Also the IMPACT courses are, in my opinion, what makes the program stand out. The curriculum seems to emphasize a more collaborative approach to health care and I feel as though MGH provides you with a genuine understanding of how different professionals can contribute equally to the betterment of a patient. Regarding the internship, the real value in this experience has to do with preparation and less with compensation. You are essentially being mentored for a full year by experienced PT's in the field so that once you do start practicing you're doing so with the confidence and efficacy of a more seasoned practitioner, also these internships can be used as a tool to negotiate a higher starting salary for when you apply for your first job as a PT. I'll agree that driving to campus is definitely a hassle with the high cost of parking but you also have the option of taking the bus or biking and as much as I love oriental food I won't be eating out because of the whole debt thing. The only real cons for me are the expensive housing and the freezing Boston winters.

Wow I didn't realize I wrote this much, but hopefully somebody considering MGH will find it useful. Also forgive any grammatical errors or confusing points, It's 2am.
I definitely agree with you on many points. Honestly even though no one graduated yet from the new curriculum the 3rd year who are the true guinea pigs of the program are going to this year so I wouldn't even consider ourselves the guinea pigs of the program. Like RgyCgn said the faculty listens to students and make adjustments accordingly, not many programs would do that! According to the open house we do go to Harvard University for pro-section labs so I'm not sure where he got that we don't have any at all from. I will agree that the library is small but the other building, 2 CC where most of the classes are being held has PLENTY of space to study and if that doesn't work, we can always study at a classmates apartment (when there's a will there's a way). Everyone has their preferences though. I personally saw value in this program when i visited the open house!

Reactions: 1 users
I lived in Charlestown for a year in 2016-2017 and it has a small town vibe within a big city. There are plenty of good food places, and if you don't like what Charlestown has to offer you're in walking distance, or cheap uber/T rides to downtown Boston or Cambridge where there are tons of food options. I had a car with out of state plates for the year while I lived there and never had a problem finding parking. I'd assume it wouldn't be that hard to park on the street somewhere in Charlestown and walk to MGH. Most of the cons I see listed above in terms of Boston are just what you'd expect in any city. If you don't want that then a program located in a city probably isn't a good fit, but I loved living in Charlestown and had a great experience with Boston, to me it is worth it. Not to mention I was intrigued by the program/curriculum. I put down my deposit and am very excited to start in the summer!

Reactions: 1 users
I lived in Charlestown for a year in 2016-2017 and it has a small town vibe within a big city. There are plenty of good food places, and if you don't like what Charlestown has to offer you're in walking distance, or cheap uber/T rides to downtown Boston or Cambridge where there are tons of food options. I had a car with out of state plates for the year while I lived there and never had a problem finding parking. I'd assume it wouldn't be that hard to park on the street somewhere in Charlestown and walk to MGH. Most of the cons I see listed above in terms of Boston are just what you'd expect in any city. If you don't want that then a program located in a city probably isn't a good fit, but I loved living in Charlestown and had a great experience with Boston, to me it is worth it. Not to mention I was intrigued by the program/curriculum. I put down my deposit and am very excited to start in the summer!
hey since you already live there did you get your health insurance from the Massachusetts market place. I'm tryna find a way around MGH expensive health insurance. I mean I have one right now but it's based on the income i make currently. When I start DPT school I won't be working. So I was wondering if we can get health insurance from the market place with 0 income!

hey since you already live there did you get your health insurance from the Massachusetts market place. I'm tryna find a way around MGH expensive health insurance. I mean I have one right now but it's based on the income i make currently. When I start DPT school I won't be working. So I was wondering if we can get health insurance from the market place with 0 income!
So my situation is a little odd. I actually moved back to Maine in November 2017 to save money while I waited to hear back from schools. For the year that I lived in Charlestown I was on my Mom's insurance and will continue to be until I turn 26 next year. I've also been looking into options for while I'm in the DPT program and heard from a friend who is currently in a grad program at Harvard that he is able to use the public health insurance offered in Mass. I don't have a ton of info yet, but I'll talk to him more and get back to you about it.

So my situation is a little odd. I actually moved back to Maine in November 2017 to save money while I waited to hear back from schools. For the year that I lived in Charlestown I was on my Mom's insurance and will continue to be until I turn 26 next year. I've also been looking into options for while I'm in the DPT program and heard from a friend who is currently in a grad program at Harvard that he is able to use the public health insurance offered in Mass. I don't have a ton of info yet, but I'll talk to him more and get back to you about it.
Thank you so much, if we can cut of the health insurance cost it'll be a big help!!

Hey guys!
Congrats on getting in!! I got accepted ED, so I'm kind of out of the loop regarding regular decision stuff. Do you know when they'll have the official class finalized? I'm already kind of nervous thinking about finding roommates, housing, etc.

Hey guys!
Congrats on getting in!! I got accepted ED, so I'm kind of out of the loop regarding regular decision stuff. Do you know when they'll have the official class finalized? I'm already kind of nervous thinking about finding roommates, housing, etc.

Deposits are due by Jan. 16th, no idea when the class will be full though. But I've heard that the facebook page for our class will be made at least a month if not two or three months before classes actually start. Since most leases in Boston run from September to August, a lot of first year students will sublet an apartment while they look for a more permanent place.

Deposits are due by Jan. 16th, no idea when the class will be full though. But I've heard that the facebook page for our class will be made at least a month if not two or three months before classes actually start. Since most leases in Boston run from September to August, a lot of first year students will sublet an apartment while they look for a more permanent place.
Also the 2nd and 3rd years are added to the Facebook groups and often times will offer their apartments to us since they are going to clincials.

Okay, awesome. Thanks!

Does anyone know if we have to purchase all the textbooks for each class?
Just looking at last year's textbook requirements on textbookx, it says that some of the classes require up to 13 textbooks each, which seems excessive.

Hey guys! Currently writing this from Boston, it is my first time on the East Coast. Flew in Tuesday and leaving tomorrow. Had a tour of the program yesterday, I got a good feeling with it. However, I will most likely be declining my spot, as I am accepted closer to home, and as cool as the group curriculum is, to me it is almost too much group work, where I prefer a little more information and lecture first. The online system my friend showed me who is a first year now said it looks and seems organized, but the school is trying to still get it's ish together with changing the curriculum. If you have any questions feel free to message me. Still not 100 percent on declining, but if I do, hopefully it opens it up to people on the waitlist. Boston is a great town though and I've had fun the time I've been here.

Does anyone know if we have to purchase all the textbooks for each class?
Just looking at last year's textbook requirements on textbookx, it says that some of the classes require up to 13 textbooks each, which seems excessive.
wooooah thats excessive can you link the last year's textbook requirement??