Miami vs USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spider2YBanana

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
USF
-Tuition: ~34k

-Pros
  • Cheaper tuition
  • Cheaper cost of living
  • New downtown campus
  • Updated facilities
  • Emphasis on STEP in courses/exams
  • TGH, Moffitt are great hospitals
  • I work in research at USF now and my PI is awesome and could maybe figure out a way to stay involved as much as a med student can
  • Most of my family is in Tampa
  • My SO is in Tampa (not necessarily against moving though, but would be a lot easier to stay)
  • I’m currently in Tampa, so easy move

-Cons
  • Didn’t “vibe” as well with other interviewees
  • Could the transition to a new campus be bumpy (initially) for the school?
  • Tampa is a great city but I don’t have much experience outside of Tampa
  • Lower rank than Miami but USF has been rising fast (at 55 now but wasn’t it at like 79 last year?)
  • Grading system is not just P/F (Honors, high pass, etc.)

Miami Miller
-Tuition: ~41k (do they no longer offer an in-State tuition rate?)

-Pros
  • Higher ranked, maybe higher “prestige”
  • Great clinical skills program
  • Jackson hospital is great for seeing diverse patients/illnesses
  • Multiple hospitals/outpatient centers within walking distance of med school
  • New curriculum starting next year
  • Great community service opportunity (DOCS, etc.)
  • Brush up on my Spanish
  • New city/lifestyle could be good for growing as a person

-Cons
  • More expensive tuition and COL
  • Outdated facilities (old building, etc.)
  • Miami is a different lifestyle
  • Reliance on public transit although this isn’t too bad
  • No major focus on step
  • Grading system is not P/F

Overall I don’t think I could go wrong with either. I’m also waiting on UF and another school so my decision could get tougher.

If anyone can give me any other helpful info about each program that would be great.

I don’t think either grading system is great but if anyone has more info that’d be nice.

Also, ignoring my personal situation, how would that impact the choice?

I know everyone says this, but I’ll work hard no matter where I go. One of the most important things is atmosphere. I don’t want to feel like I’m always competing. A more lax environment the better because I want to make friends and have fun while in school.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

USF
-Tuition: ~34k

-Pros
  • Cheaper tuition
  • Cheaper cost of living
  • New downtown campus
  • Updated facilities
  • Emphasis on STEP in courses/exams
  • TGH, Moffitt are great hospitals
  • I work in research at USF now and my PI is awesome and could maybe figure out a way to stay involved as much as a med student can
  • Most of my family is in Tampa
  • My SO is in Tampa (not necessarily against moving though, but would be a lot easier to stay)
  • I’m currently in Tampa, so easy move

-Cons
  • Didn’t “vibe” as well with other interviewees
  • Could the transition to a new campus be bumpy (initially) for the school?
  • Tampa is a great city but I don’t have much experience outside of Tampa
  • Lower rank than Miami but USF has been rising fast (at 55 now but wasn’t it at like 79 last year?)
  • Grading system is not just P/F (Honors, high pass, etc.)

Miami Miller
-Tuition: ~41k (do they no longer offer an in-State tuition rate?)

-Pros
  • Higher ranked, maybe higher “prestige”
  • Great clinical skills program
  • Jackson hospital is great for seeing diverse patients/illnesses
  • Multiple hospitals/outpatient centers within walking distance of med school
  • New curriculum starting next year
  • Great community service opportunity (DOCS, etc.)
  • Brush up on my Spanish
  • New city/lifestyle could be good for growing as a person

-Cons
  • More expensive tuition and COL
  • Outdated facilities (old building, etc.)
  • Miami is a different lifestyle
  • Reliance on public transit although this isn’t too bad
  • No major focus on step
  • Grading system is not P/F

Overall I don’t think I could go wrong with either. I’m also waiting on UF and another school so my decision could get tougher.

If anyone can give me any other helpful info about each program that would be great.

I don’t think either grading system is great but if anyone has more info that’d be nice.

Also, ignoring my personal situation, how would that impact the choice?

I know everyone says this, but I’ll work hard no matter where I go. One of the most important things is atmosphere. I don’t want to feel like I’m always competing. A more lax environment the better because I want to make friends and have fun while in school.

Thank you!
21 K in tuition difference is a wash.

I have simplified this to stuff I think you shouldnt worry about considering it is a wash or minorly different.

The rankings are fairly close at this point.

You should look towards residency programs each in terms of specialties you are interested in. Does one have a program and the other doesnt in terms of what you are interested in ?

Lastly I wouldnt minimize the S/Os happiness considering this is going to be a huge change for everyone involved and might be painful for the spouse.

21 K in tuition difference is a wash.

I have simplified this to stuff I think you shouldnt worry about considering it is a wash or minorly different.

The rankings are fairly close at this point.

You should look towards residency programs each in terms of specialties you are interested in. Does one have a program and the other doesnt in terms of what you are interested in ?

Lastly I wouldnt minimize the S/Os happiness considering this is going to be a huge change for everyone involved and might be painful for the spouse.

Thank you. I will look closer at residency positions. Surface level I think UM students match into residencies at more prestigious universities.

I am definitely keeping my SO in the decision. I guess I’m here because I am more curious if there is any benefit to ME of going to Miami over USF because the other personal reasons all point to USF.

Having interviewed at both, I feel like USF might be more ideal for you, based on your list. I agree with the post above though that whatever residency you plan on seeking, if it’s highly competitive, UM might be the better choice. But like you said, you’re going to work hard no matter where you go so it’s possible. TGH is no Jackson, but you’ll still get phenomenal clinical experience (it’s the #1 trauma center in the Tampa Bay Region I believe), plus all the other clinical sites around. I don’t think ranking should be a factor as I feel USF has been slowly growing in prestige with research and with the new school in the Channelside district.

Miami is also a different lifestyle so you should take that into account. Tuition may be negligible, but it definitely will add up with COL (Tampa >>>Miami). You still have second look to see how you interact with other accepted students!

Making the same decision as of right now and leaning towards USF. I'm pretty sure the difference in COA is about 80k over 4 years. That's not insignificant, especially if you defer loans through a longer residency