-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Michigan State c/o 2018 Applicants!
Started by epivetlove
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Everything will be sent out in 2-3weeks per admissions. I also heard from multiple people that MSU had technical difficulties this year, putting them behind.
That and the snow days! I'm freakin out
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For you recently accepted OOSers, mind me asking what your stats were?
It's hard to compare stats for MSU because of the supplemental points added to your SIS...you don't know if you got them or not.
For you recently accepted OOSers, mind me asking what your stats were?
You can find mine in the successful applicant stays thread.
I am aware. But I have great experience and mediocre grades so it's nice to see the grades of others that are getting in.
When I met with Dr. Baptista, she said that as long as you have an SIS of 800 (before the supplemental), they will actually consider your supplemental. Which makes their website info a bit misleading...but as long as you hit 800 at least rest assured they read your supplemental. I find their admissions process a bit confusing to begin with. Does anyone have any other information regarding their initial cutoffs?
Yeah I know that 80o is the minimum SIS needed to be competitive. That's pretty much all I know. Seems like things have been done a bit differently this year.
Also, at one point they said they had a rolling admissions process. Anyone know if that is still the case?
I think that is still correct.
the "shelter medicine" program here is VERY VERY VERY new...as in it does not actually exist yet. Tread carefully if you are basing your decision to come to MSU on that alone.
Congrats to all the new spartans today 🙂 Go Green!
(edit)
here's the link describing the new program...note that they say they are planning to build a campus facility, etc. This could take years...In the meantime, they have discontinued the spay/neuter surgery rotation at school already and there is no real alternative in place yet...just want everyone to know before they make attendance decisions 🙂
http://cvm.msu.edu/about-the-colleg...azine/perspectives-fall-2013/shelter-medicine
Congrats to all the new spartans today 🙂 Go Green!
(edit)
here's the link describing the new program...note that they say they are planning to build a campus facility, etc. This could take years...In the meantime, they have discontinued the spay/neuter surgery rotation at school already and there is no real alternative in place yet...just want everyone to know before they make attendance decisions 🙂
http://cvm.msu.edu/about-the-colleg...azine/perspectives-fall-2013/shelter-medicine
the "shelter medicine" program here is VERY VERY VERY new...as in it does not actually exist yet. Tread carefully if you are basing your decision to come to MSU on that alone.
Congrats to all the new spartans today 🙂 Go Green!
(edit)
here's the link describing the new program...note that they say they are planning to build a campus facility, etc. This could take years...In the meantime, they have discontinued the spay/neuter surgery rotation at school already and there is no real alternative in place yet...just want everyone to know before they make attendance decisions 🙂
http://cvm.msu.edu/about-the-colleg...azine/perspectives-fall-2013/shelter-medicine
Thanks a lot for the info!
Just got an email this morning, I'm on the alternate/waiting list. THIS WAITING GAME IS NEVER ENDING FOR ME!!!! Anyone know the time frame to hear if you're placed on the waiting list? On the bright side it wasn't a no 🙂
So to be a huge help, if you know you're not going please let MSU know soon to save me from wasting more time on the line 😉
Just got an email this morning, I'm on the alternate/waiting list. THIS WAITING GAME IS NEVER ENDING FOR ME!!!! Anyone know the time frame to hear if you're placed on the waiting list? On the bright side it wasn't a no 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did they give you an order on the waitlist? Are you IS or OOS?Just got an email this morning, I'm on the alternate/waiting list. THIS WAITING GAME IS NEVER ENDING FOR ME!!!! Anyone know the time frame to hear if you're placed on the waiting list? On the bright side it wasn't a no 🙂
From current vet students I'm hearing they won't give you an order on the waiting list even if you ask. I am ISS and this is the only university I applied to. Talking to current 2nd and 3rd years it sounds like about 10-15 from the waiting list got in each year but they didn't hear until May or June. Also no one has any idea how many they allow on the waiting list. So basically I'm stuck in this waiting game for another few months lolDid they give you an order on the waitlist? Are you IS or OOS?
Last edited:
All aboard the wait list for me
So sorry skyann. Hang in there!Rejection email IS. So disappointed 🙁
Have people been getting emails throughout the day?
Rejected, IS. Got the email at about 2 PM.
Edit: it sent at 9 AM, but I didn't get it until this afternoon.
Edit: it sent at 9 AM, but I didn't get it until this afternoon.
Last edited:
Hmm... I have not received and email from them. Might have to shoot them an email tomorrow...
🙁 I am sorry...Rejected, IS. Got the email at about 2 PM.
Edit: it sent at 9 AM, but I didn't get it until this afternoon.
Thank you. My heart's only mildly shattered, and the e-mail came right before a tough anatomy practical....but I am looking forward to all of my file reviews and hope to have a greatly improved application for the next cycle I apply in.
Anyone have any clue how many people they put on the waitlist? I know they wont tell you where you rank on it but any news if its 30 people or 100 people?
Hang in there, waitlisters. I think the waitlist in previous years has been kinda big (probably more than 30). BUT! There was at least one person in my class that was accepted late summer!
Hang in there, waitlisters. I think the waitlist in previous years has been kinda big (probably more than 30). BUT! There was at least one person in my class that was accepted late summer!
one IS student in my class didn't get accepted until early/mid-August...there is hope. especially OOS students, LOTS of you will be accepted if this year is like previous years 🙂 you may have to wait until june/july but it will happen!
Anyone having problems getting to the "download your enrollment package" page from the selected applicant page?
No problems here. Worked for me this morning.Anyone having problems getting to the "download your enrollment package" page from the selected applicant page?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected OOS. When I applied last year and got rejected, I had my file review and they said that in order to get accepted or on the waiting list the admissions committee needs to find you unique in 2 of the supplemental categories. I feel like I have a wide range of experience and am unique but it just means someone else gets to go. I will be at Purdue in the fall so I can't complain. Good Luck to everyone waiting!
I got my email at 1pmWhat time were the emails sent? Are they being sent now? I haven't heard anything from them, which makes me think I should expect a rejection any day now...
Rejected 🙄
Alternate IS
Hmm...no acceptances yet?
I felt that I was unique in at least two of those categories. Meh. I wonder if they will be more specific than "Get more experience" or "Retake some classes" in the file review. The email made it sound like we'll just be getting the class statistics page.Rejected OOS. When I applied last year and got rejected, I had my file review and they said that in order to get accepted or on the waiting list the admissions committee needs to find you unique in 2 of the supplemental categories. I feel like I have a wide range of experience and am unique but it just means someone else gets to go. I will be at Purdue in the fall so I can't complain. Good Luck to everyone waiting!
Congrats on Purdue!
I felt that I was unique in at least two of those categories. Meh. I wonder if they will be more specific than "Get more experience" or "Retake some classes" in the file review. The email made it sound like we'll just be getting the class statistics page.
Congrats on Purdue!
Thank You! From the conversation I had last year it sounded like they weren't even sure what "unique" meant. I told the woman what I would be doing over the summer and she replied that it would look really good applying this cycle- yet here I am in the same situation. I know it all works out for the best but their acceptance method doesn't make much sense to me!
Rejected. Ugh....thought I might have been competitive based on that SIS thingy....not. Congrats to all that got in, you cracked the code.
Michigan State is hard to get into even for ISers. I've heard this for years. If anyone has more info on how to be "unique" according to their standards, please spill the beans!
OOS the waiting list is 40 people, I called and they also gave my ranking.Anyone have any clue how many people they put on the waitlist? I know they wont tell you where you rank on it but any news if its 30 people or 100 people?
OOS the waiting list is 40 people, I called and they also gave my ranking.
What office did you call? Cause I have no clue who to ask this
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's a number at the bottom of the email.."if you have any additional questions" I'm assuming that's the admissions office.What office did you call? Cause I have no clue who to ask this
There's a number at the bottom of the email.."if you have any additional questions" I'm assuming that's the admissions office.
Sounds like you got really lucky when you called. They wouldn't tell me over the phone. I was told that I had to send an e-mail to request an academic profile.
For those of you who were rejected, don't give up! The student president of MSU CVM's first year class has a master's because she says it "took her that long to get in". Now, obviously she is qualified enough to not only be a student, but also participate in the student government. My favorite veterinarian, similarly, did not get in to MSU her first several tries. Just because you weren't accepted doesn't mean you don't belong.
This is what I need to hear! Thank you so much for posting this!!For those of you who were rejected, don't give up! The student president of MSU CVM's first year class has a master's because she says it "took her that long to get in". Now, obviously she is qualified enough to not only be a student, but also participate in the student government. My favorite veterinarian, similarly, did not get in to MSU her first several tries. Just because you weren't accepted doesn't mean you don't belong.