Michigan State c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how far they are through the process?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats to those of you who have been accepted! And best of luck to those of you who are still waiting to hear. For those of you who have been accepted, do you happen to know if there is a facebook page created for your class yet? I'm a current 2nd year, and I'm going to be looking for a roommate for the upcoming year, so I was hoping to put of feelers to the incoming 1st year students. If you could let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Congrats to those of you who have been accepted! And best of luck to those of you who are still waiting to hear. For those of you who have been accepted, do you happen to know if there is a facebook page created for your class yet? I'm a current 2nd year, and I'm going to be looking for a roommate for the upcoming year, so I was hoping to put of feelers to the incoming 1st year students. If you could let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Yes, although it's pretty empty right now :p

Members don't see this ad :)

As allieoop said, there hasn't been much posted on the FB page yet, but the link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/602987013113285/
Hopefully there will be more action on it once people accept their offers!

For those of you that are doubting the administration over here at MSU, fear not. They are a wonderful bunch of people and really will bend over backwards for students. I was in a bad car accident the day before the semester started. I had to take off the first week of school as a result. The administration and professors were nothing but understanding and accommodating. I now have special test taking accommodations due to a traumatic brain injury and the administration set up rooms and proctors for me within an hour of being notified. The assistant dean checks in on me to make sure I'm healing well and handling school okay. They have given me numerous alternatives to dealing with school- ie taking time off, recycling, exam extensions, etc. They have been super friendly during the entire process. I knew I made the right decision to attend MSU, and this period of trial and tribulation has really confirmed that belief. The MSU CVM is definitely a family community, willing to help those in need.

I agree that in individual circumstances like that, the administration is great. I'm talking about more general things - for example, the university does absolutely nothing to help students understand or navigate the job application process, the process to apply to take boards, or the process to get all your licensing things put together. Not even an email with some sort of checklist, or a presentation about it, or a reminder email saying "don't forget to sign up for boards by today!"...have to say it is pretty frustrating, especially trying to navigate the licensing process (which forms to fill out, how much each of them costs, etc).

That being said, I'm not upset I came to MSU and it is a great school. However, there are definite downsides and if I was out of state I would take them into consideration (especially in terms of caseload and clinics...having 1.5 clinical years sounds great, in theory, until that means there's a minimum of 10 people on your primary care rotation and there are an average of 8 appointments per day...total...)

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that in individual circumstances like that, the administration is great. I'm talking about more general things - for example, the university does absolutely nothing to help students understand or navigate the job application process, the process to apply to take boards, or the process to get all your licensing things put together. Not even an email with some sort of checklist, or a presentation about it, or a reminder email saying "don't forget to sign up for boards by today!"...have to say it is pretty frustrating, especially trying to navigate the licensing process (which forms to fill out, how much each of them costs, etc).
Hopefully they will receive enough complaints about this to do something about it. It seems like a pretty easy fix. I could bring it up to the administration and see if they have any ideas on what could be done. My class is pretty proactive with our wants and needs..haha

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully they will receive enough complaints about this to do something about it. It seems like a pretty easy fix. I could bring it up to the administration and see if they have any ideas on what could be done. My class is pretty proactive with our wants and needs..haha
Yeah...except we got an email last summer saying "The NAVLE exists, don't forget to sign up, it's not our responsibility to help you with licensing or national/state board exam registration, etc". So...pretty sure they aren't going to change their mind...

Are all rotations that overcrowded? That is actually a spot of concern for me.

I just got a rejection email from MSU. Just thought I'd let those of you know who are waiting! I'm already into my IS so not super disappointed.

Good luck to those still waiting!

I just got my rejection email this morning from MSU as well. Good luck to everyone still waiting, I'm actually feeling very relieved that I finally heard something from them and now don't have to wait to make my decision anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else not heard anything from them? I just want to know what my status is...

I have not heard anything yet either

I'm sure when someone else hears something they will post.

I did NOT get one....now I'm going to be checking my email furiously until I hear something...

Edit: Sorry to hear you guys got bad news. Chin up and remember that no matter what, we will all make it someday!

Edit part 2: The anxiety I am feeling right now...through the roof! :scared:

Are all rotations that overcrowded? That is actually a spot of concern for me.

During the spring semester (when two classes are in clinics), yes. All rotations are at maximum almost every block, and maximum is a lot. Usually 8-10 students on a required rotation, and 5-6 on an elective. Right now I am on ultrasound and there are 6 of us...6 is a lot when only 2 ultrasounds can be going on at once, max. The moderators try hard to keep enrollment in rotations low enough to make it practical, but that is difficult when pressured by the administration to take on more. Our moderator told us he wished he could have limited u/s to 4 this block. During the summer and fall it is easier, because there is only half as many people in the clinic (only 4th years instead of 3rd and 4th years)...it also leads to a LOT of people forced into taking 2-3 externships or vacations their first and last semester, and almost ensures you will have to take 3-4 off campus externships, because there is literally not enough room in the clinic for everyone at the same time. That also means that electives like cardiology, dermatology, ophthalmology and spay/neuter...fill up and you literally cannot take them because there isn't room for everyone. I did an off campus cardio rotation, got derm on campus, and had to drop optho because of scheduling and it wasn't open anywhere else...but it frustrates me that for $25000/year in state, there isn't a better solution to the problem. I waste so much time on clinical rotations that it kills me. Was helpful when trying to vetprep all day, but now that I have nothing better to do, I spend multiple hours per day bored out of my mind while at the VTH.
Just some food for thought from the clinical perspective! Not trying to be a debbie downer but talk to any MSU 4th year and they will agree, we waste SO MUCH TIME due to decreased case load and increased student load. Don't forget the 8 or so clinical students from Ross that MSU takes each year, too...

Is it like this at every school? I know that case load must vary every where and day-to-day, but the whole point of these rotations is to teach you how to be a veterinarian. No wonder older practicing vets think recent grads are seriously lacking in skills. I was given the advice to volunteer/work at a local clinic to actually get surgical experience.

Is it like this at every school? I know that case load must vary every where and day-to-day, but the whole point of these rotations is to teach you how to be a veterinarian. No wonder older practicing vets think recent grads are seriously lacking in skills. I was given the advice to volunteer/work at a local clinic to actually get surgical experience.

Yeah, or do an externship..."surgical experience" at school is the equivalent of scrubbing in and standing in the corner trying to stay sterile while a clinician, resident and/or intern are scrubbed in performing the procedure, generally. we get to do simple things like spays, neuters and declaws ourselves (with supervision, IF they come in during our rotation)...but nothing else except during labs (which at MSU, are all done on cadaver. the only live independent surgical experience you will receive is one cat spay, dog spay, or dog neuter during semester 5).

Does anyone know when the next batch goes out--or is everything all skewed and unpredictable now that they began rejecting??

Who knows....is anyone planning on calling? I kind of don't want to start anticipating the batches. It will distract me from my studies and stress me out. Also, sorry to those who panicked when they saw this thread get bumped :p Just little old me :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Someone call I feel like I call weekly lol

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh they said no batches for another couple weeks and that will be the final batch including rejections and wait lists. I didn't ask how many acceptances would be in that though

Final batch of everything sent out in a couple weeks via email no matter what the status is?

That's what she said they were doing

I'd like to know how many acceptances will be in that batch though ;)

Emailed them and they said that my application was still in the review process and that the next batch should be going out within the next two or three weeks.

Hi everyone, I have got admitted to Michigan :) Do any of you are going to the Welcome day? I am a OOS student, so I am wondering how useful it is....

I don't think I will be able to go until June. I wish they had some in May!

I am going to the March 7th Welcome Day :)

Wow! Then I hope they still have spots on March 7! I would like to go if more prospective students are attending :)

I am also going to the March 7th Welcome Day, and am OOS. Hope to see a few of you there!

Just a heads up - March 7th is during our spring break so there won't be any students wandering around. I went to a spring break Welcome Day last year and we didn't get to see the students in action during anatomy, etc so it wasn't as cool. Just so you know :)

I just got accepted!! Super excited but I will be turning it down to go to my instate school. I grew up in Michigan, but unfortunately am no longer a resident. I hope someone on here gets the spot. Good luck to those waiting to hear!!!

Reactions: 4 users
No news here. Congrats mcsorley!

I received an acceptance this morning as well! I'm really shocked!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats! Are you IS or OOS?

I'm OOS. And my SIS score was on the low end.

Are you considering MSU now? Or still going to attend UMN?!

Well, I really, really liked UMN, but I'll have to see if MSU has any sort of shelter medicine program before I decide. Honestly I didn't think I'd be in the position to choose.

There is a shelter medicine program at MSU!

Everyone that has heard today is OOS. What about us ISers?!

I'm IS. No news here, starting to get discouraged :/